The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Apr 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2,011 of 9,972
Hi,

I've just today received the Fiio X3ii/k and was wondering if it was possible to skip to halfway through a track (or specifically a podcast)? In the short time I've spent playing around with it I have yet to discover this feature, if it exists.

Also, any thoughts on the best software to use for music management?

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,012 of 9,972
I currently use the X1 with the E11K. I use this set up as my car stereo and as my home stereo, I rarely use headphones. I use the X1 LO mode exclusively because the sound is superior than HO mode. With both my car stereo and my home stereo I need to have the E11K in high gain mode somewhere between 5 and 8.
I have two questions about the X3 second generation.
(1) Based on the setting of the E11K paired with the X1 I mentioned above, will I still need to use the E11K with the X3 second generation for the amp requirements?
(2) I wish I could use the HO on the X1 so I could have access to the built in EQ, but it is too much of a sound quality loss to do that. In regards to sound quality, Is the HO on the X3 second generation comparable to its LO?

Thanks.

met Gavin last week and we discussed options and rough costs but we need a specific design idea/ plan before we can get quotes.

The hole itself can be covered (or  in filled) or the whole panel/wall can be covered.

Options we have come up with are as follows:

1) Timber hardwood veneer sheet panel infill (flush with existing) and varnished in similar colour to what we have, w

Hi I also have a similar question about using the x3 but as a USB DAC. I have an old HiFi system - texhnixs 8077 integrated amp and I want to use my laptop as a source. I was about to buy the dragonfly USB DAC - but I am now thinking about using the x3 as a dedicated USB DAC. Does anyone have any comparisons between USB Dacs like the dragonfly v the x3 when used as a DAC.

My advice is dont get the Dragonfly, I was not at all impressed and is old hat stuff now, also its a one trick pony.

Get your self a Fiio X3ii (even X1) or Hidizs Ap100 as they are so much more versatile and you are not tethered to your laptop.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2,013 of 9,972
Got a pair of Sony XBA Z5 IEMS, while I enjoyed X3II's performance with Pandora hope vi (which is a very efficient headphone), but cannot say the same with the more power hungry Z5. 

The midrange sounds to me, well, eviscerated, hollow, and lean, if I may describe so. The treble is too bright, reminiscent of an over-exposed photograph.

I was wondering, is tweaking the EQ will ameliorate the outcome a little bit?

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,014 of 9,972
It will be interesting to hear what people who upgraded from the original X3 to the X3 2g have to say about the sound difference once more people start to get their new X3s. I can't wait to get mine..hopefully early next week.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #2,016 of 9,972

Copied from my X3II review (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/12913). I dont think i get TOO into directly comparing the X3II and the DX90, more of me going on a bit of a tangent. But feel free to PM me if you'd like something a bit more direct and detailed.

The Great Battle: Fiio Vs. iBasso
            In my mind, the biggest competitor Fiio currently has would perhaps be none other than iBasso Audio. Having owned the DX50, currently using the DX90, and having auditioned both the X1 and X3II, I can safely say that both companies make some great product that doesn’t leave your wallet crying. Here are just some of my thoughts I’ve collected.

There have been a couple reviewers who have gotten their hands on the new X3II before me. I absolutely agree with the general consensus that seems to be out there that the X3II is certainly a step up from the X1 and is a great sounding player. However, there have been a few comparisons between the X3II and the X5 that troubles me a bit. Here’s why.

I have never heard the X5 before, so naturally I have no clue what it sounds like and cannot comment on its sound. From the looks of it, it seems that some people find the X3II and X5 very similar, maybe a little TOO similar. I can very much understand remarks stating that the two have a very similar signature, as I too have come to recognize the general Fiio house sound, but when people start making remarks regarding the X5 as more of a “side-grade” rather than an upgrade or that the X3II comes incredibly close in terms of sonic performance to the X5, I get a little worried. To me, the X3II does not perform at the level of a 350 dollar DAP – and it shouldn’t be expected to either!

iBasso’s DX90 is a fantastic DAP and is still one of my all-time favorites. It can be found for around 370 dollars or so these days, making its price very close to that of the X5. Comparing the X3II to the DX90 is really no comparison at all. The DX90 has a much fuller sound with more dynamics, more natural timbre, and kicks the level of detail up quite a few notches in comparison to the X3II. So as you may expect, when the X3II is suggested to be very comparable to the X5, I’m left wondering what the sound of the X5 is like. I cannot deny the incredible success and immense popularity that the X5 has had, but something just doesn’t seem to add up for me. I’d love to have a listen to the X5 myself if Fiio is able to send me a unit, so I can do a comparison myself.

On that note, the reality is that the X3II’s big iBasso competitor is not meant to be the DX90, but its younger brother: the DX50. In this sort of comparison, I must say that I see a lot of good things in the X3II. Note that it’s been a while since I’ve had my DX50, but I still remember its sound quite well. I find that the sound of the X3II has more musicality and engagement to it than that of the DX50, which I found can be a bit flat and sterile at times. In addition, the levels of detail from the two are very comparable. I don’t dare to comment anymore on that since I don’t have the DX50 to do a direct A/B comparison. However, if I had to choose one over the other, I would probably give the edge to the X3II because it has the musical qualities that DX50 lacks without making any real sacrifices for it.
            Comparing the UI of the DX50 to the X3II, I think I would still give the edge to the DX50, with its touch screen and the three big buttons. I'm just a big fan of those three big buttons as they make life so much easier. I also feel that the DX50 UI is just a bit more organized, but that very well could just be me being use to it after using an iBasso product as my DAP for a little over a year now.

I think new kid on the block is the Hidiz AP100, I believe it is a step up above any current Fiio or Ibasso DAP (from my first hand experience). When people say the X3ii compares to the X5 (which is my least favourite) - it is not a good sign to me.

Fiio, my advice is get yourself a Hidizs and see what they are doing differently as to me Hidizs are better than Fiio are, even on their first DAP attempt compared to Fiio's fourth attempt.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,017 of 9,972
  My fiancée just got her X3 II in the mail today and she's a bit dissapointed, she prefers the sound of the X3 I with FW 3.34b

They all need at least 24 hours burn in time to be any good. Ideally 100-200 hours at least to sound near its best.

Good sound only comes to he who waits!!! lol      

Be patient!

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,018 of 9,972
My PNY 128GB is fine and cheaper than the other major brand alternatives
Happy to hear it! But the performance of some brands differs (non reputed one) are not always the same, uniforms, and quality not always constant! Using a fast card will possibly help to minimise gaps in between songs sometimes. Like in all my cameras, I like choosing "write" speed over the "Read" speed! In music dept. have see no fifference, for now! IMO
(My DVD disk are always be Verbatim, never PNY or a kind of no name brand. (All these can prevent Buffer underrun ou medium error)
Personaly, am more looking to Quality over the Quantity. 128 or 256GB cards is for me sometime to much! Couple of 16, 35, 64 is ample enough for me! IMO

:D

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #2,019 of 9,972

I think new kid on the block is the Hidiz AP100, I believe it is a step up above any current Fiio or Ibasso DAP (from my first hand experience). When people say the X3ii compares to the X5 (which is my least favourite) - it is not a good sign to me.

Fiio, my advice is get yourself a Hidizs and see what they are doing differently as to me Hidizs are better than Fiio are, even on their first DAP attempt compared to Fiio's fourth attempt.

Well the X5 and the AP100 cost a bit more than the X3 and X3 2g so there is really no point in comparing. I read that the UI on the AP100 was a mess. Have they fixed that with FW updates? I do like the look of the AP100 and I read good things about it's sound too but I just took a look at the price and it's almost as expensive as the X5.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #2,020 of 9,972
There are only a handful of NAND makers. So PNY (I have the 128GB microsd) has to buy it's memory chips from Sandisk/Toshiba, Micron/Intel or Hynix. That's all there is.
So yes there is a difference in read/write but I don't think other brands are not to be trusted. Right now I have a broken Samsung microSD, it can't be formatted just gives errors. My Kingmax (DealExtreme) card is still rocking after years of use.

Normally I also go for Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston or a different known brand, just because of the warranty.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,021 of 9,972

Well the X5 and the AP100 cost a bit more than the X3 and X3 2g so there is really no point in comparing. I read that the UI on the AP100 was a mess. Have they fixed that with FW updates? I do like the look of the AP100 and I read good things about it's sound too but I just took a look at the price and it's almost as expensive as the X5.

Hi Bruce, I take your point about the price but it is not far off the price of the X3ii, it really depends how much money people are prepared to pay to get the sound they want and not to need to upgrade any further.

I got mine for £200 normally £229 in the UK. I believe in the US it has been sold on special for $200.

I have the latest AP100 model and I find the UI very intuitive and only have the odd software related glitch.

I have had DAPs paired up with the Fiio E12A and Cayin C5 (which can be a bit of a pain) they may sound different but they dont sound any better than the AP100 on its own, I was even prepared to stretch to the AK100ii at 4 times the price of what I paid for the AP100 so I suppose it is all relative to how much enjoyment you get from it to make the purchase justifiable finacially.

Its well worth a look at. Also heard good things about the the Cayin N6 but I am happy for now!

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #2,022 of 9,972
  Hi Bruce, I take your point about the price but it is not far off the price of the X3ii, it really depends how much money people are prepared to pay to get the sound they want and not to need to upgrade any further.

I got mine for £200 normally £229 in the UK. I believe in the US it has been sold on special for $200.

I have the latest AP100 model and I find the UI very intuitive and only have the odd software related glitch.

I have had DAPs paired up with the Fiio E12A and Cayin C5 (which can be a bit of a pain) they may sound different but they dont sound any better than the AP100 on its own, I was even prepared to stretch to the AK100ii at 4 times the price of what I paid for the AP100 so I suppose it is all relative to how much enjoyment you get from it to make the purchase justifiable finacially.

Its well worth a look at. Also heard good things about the the Cayin N6 but I am happy for now!

The lowest I've seen here was about $275 Canadian and now the lowest is $350 Canadian on Mp4 Nation. Is there a newer version of the AP100 out? I though I heard mention of that. It does look interesting but I can't really afford it right now just after purchasing the X3II but maybe in a few months I'll consider it again.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #2,025 of 9,972
  They all need at least 24 hours burn in time to be any good. Ideally 100-200 hours at least to sound near its best.

Good sound only comes to he who waits!!! lol      

Be patient!

Sorry mate - your posts started losing credibility when you posted this ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back