The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Oct 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #6,047 of 9,972
The only DAP makers i have seen with great designs are Sony, FiiO and Calyx M, all other chinese Daps in the "audiophile range" souch ugly designs, so offending ahem cayin N6, colorfly etc

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #6,048 of 9,972
Has anyone sat down and compared the sound from the 2nd Gen X3 to the 2nd Gen X5?  I currently have a 1st Gen X3 and an X1.  I am happy with the X1.  The 1st Gen X3, for some reason, has noise on the line out that isn't on the X1.  Is there really any advantage to the 2nd Gen X5 over the X1 if I'm pretty decently happy with the X1's sound?

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #6,049 of 9,972
Sonic Electronix is having a sale. Fiio X3ii and X5ii 10% off.

And they are calling it the Fall Clearance Sale. That makes me wonder, if they are receiving a new batch of the Fiios.

Does anybody know if Fiio fixes issues between it's batches?

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #6,050 of 9,972
Has anyone sat down and compared the sound from the 2nd Gen X3 to the 2nd Gen X5?  I currently have a 1st Gen X3 and an X1.  I am happy with the X1.  The 1st Gen X3, for some reason, has noise on the line out that isn't on the X1.  Is there really any advantage to the 2nd Gen X5 over the X1 if I'm pretty decently happy with the X1's sound?

Have you read Brooko's review?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13400

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #6,051 of 9,972
it was probably discussed before, but i am gonna ask away..

i got a 64gb Samsung EVO micro sd. After formatting in X3ii, when i connect it to my Win 8.1 laptop, it doesn't open the drive.

Is it because X3ii formats the card it FAT32 and so Win8.1 can't read FAT32? How do i  get around this?

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #6,052 of 9,972
For those interested Hi-Fi World (who tested the X3 ii recently) reviewed the A&K Jr this month (reviewer owns an AK120).
Quote:
"... the Junior, price £400.
    That's still not cheap, I have just reviewed the excellent FiiO X3 - price £150 - and it was superb, with no weaknesses, so the Junior needs to make astrong case. And to get to the point, it failed to, ...."

and finally:

"... but I wince at the price; FiiO offer more for less these days"

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #6,053 of 9,972
For those interested Hi-Fi World (who tested the X3 ii recently) reviewed the A&K Jr this month (reviewer owns an AK120).
Quote:
"... the Junior, price £400.
    That's still not cheap, I have just reviewed the excellent FiiO X3 - price £150 - and it was superb, with no weaknesses, so the Junior needs to make astrong case. And to get to the point, it failed to, ...."

and finally:

"... but I wince at the price; FiiO offer more for less these days"

This thing really is fantastic. On a whim I decided to listen to my Senn 650's on it and honestly, its pretty damn serviceable. Im listening to Fleet Foxes (which admittedly isn't super hard to push IMO) and I'm missing some low end bass response but it works.

Also for anyone worried, I think the track wheel complaints are overblown.

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #6,054 of 9,972
So. I'm a holiday trip in Bangkok and visited afew audio shops including Jaben and the various munkonggadget outlets (Pantip Plaza, Amarin and Siam Paragon) when I decided to drop by soundproofbros at MBK and got to know Pawarith. While munkonggadget impressed me with their huge range of items, especially the one at Amarin, soundproofbros made me feel the most comfortable and welcome, and they have a huge range of products as well. I must say I'm supremely impressed!

My bro, Wee and I.

Having kinda made up my mind to buy an X3ii and EX1 either during the trip or when I'm back home, in the end I decided to make my purchase of my Fiio X3ii and EX1 with them!

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,056 of 9,972
Does the X3II just work as a DAC, and needs an amp if paired with the PC, or can I just plug and play, working like an external sound card?

I know you can use it like a sound card, meaning no amp required. What I dont remember is if the line out also works when in DAC mode (I assume it does?)

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #6,057 of 9,972
Yep, line out works when it is being used as a DAC. You can't use the headphone out at the same time as the line out though.

This thing really is fantastic. On a whim I decided to listen to my Senn 650's on it and honestly, its pretty damn serviceable. Im listening to Fleet Foxes (which admittedly isn't super hard to push IMO) and I'm missing some low end bass response but it works.

Also for anyone worried, I think the track wheel complaints are overblown.

I have also used my HD650's with my FiiO X3II, it does a really good job with them considering they are 300 ohms.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #6,059 of 9,972
Hmm do I get a new player completely or get the Fiio Q1 with my X1....decisions :L

Depends on 2 factors: 1. If you want the DAC functionality and 2. The headphones you are using.

If you want the DAC option and you have headphones with impedance in the range 8 Ohm to 150 Ohm, Fiio X3ii will be a good choice

If you don't need the DAC function and you want more power as you own high impedance headphones, then you can stay with the X1 and look into amp options

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #6,060 of 9,972
Depends on 2 factors: 1. If you want the DAC functionality and 2. The headphones you are using.

If you want the DAC option and you have headphones with impedance in the range 8 Ohm to 150 Ohm, Fiio X3ii will be a good choice

If you don't need the DAC function and you want more power as you own high impedance headphones, then you can stay with the X1 and look into amp options
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back