The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 18, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3,571 of 9,972
Have you really read all the posts on this Forum ? From memorys I have read these infos on this Forum or...maybe on the X1 one! BrOOko or x RELIC x have talk about this, not sure!

Maybe this help...
Manual folder organization (e.g., genre - artist - album) may be easier and faster than tagging, and it is also easier for a DAP to handle (DAP may become slower or unstable when handling lots of tags). You can easily browse folder structure in Rockbox or Fiio X3 anyway. And with manual organization, you can organize albums/songs however you want (e.g., make a folder to contain playlist "meditation"). (from: zzffnn)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/2220 (Page 149)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/475945/how-do-you-organize-your-music

http://www.head-fi.org/t/734135/how-to-manually-create-playlists-for-the-x5

cool.gif

Traversing from iTunes/iPod environment to a Folder structure for my X3ii  - in Finder (iMac) I used the following:  Music Type (Rock, Jazz, Blues, Electronic, Classical etc)/Artist (under each Music type)/Albums (under each Music type by Artist)/Songs (by Album for each Artist).  I basically created the same structure that iTunes uses.  Very easy to navigate on the X3ii. It's a big and time consuming job but I'm happy to say that it works very well.

I also backed up the entire Folder structure on an external hard drive in AIFF (for iTunes backup) and then copied (duplicated) the entire Folder structure and converted the copied AIFF structure to FLAC.  I then copied the same FLAC structure onto a few MicroSD cards.  I now have my entire CD library on three 64 GB MicroSD cards for my portable system.

May 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #3,572 of 9,972

What EQ setting are you using on the E11 and have you tried matching it with the X3-II EQ (when used as a standalone player without the amp)?

i am just adding 2db in 31 and 63 hz in the eq of the x3 and on the fiio e11 low gain,  and then use first bass setting

amazing sound, i did get close but always to me adding an amp makes things sound better, there is something special about the fiio e11 bass which really is solid and tight

May 18, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #3,574 of 9,972
Well, no. At about 600 pages in here and X1 thread i didn't have a week to spare but I did search thread and google and read user manual and read random pages here, all to no avail. But thanks for your links I will check them out after work. I will probably just drag ang drop, as people have mentioned, just seems abit clunky to me? My itunes folder is currently about 250Gb from memory so i'll have to be selective, with only 128gb card.

Thanks for your help though, i do appreciate it.

Just make sure drop on the right folders! Before, create folders named by Artists name... first, create folders Alphabeticaly (A - B- C) 26 folders total.

Hope this can help! :D

May 18, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3,575 of 9,972
Traversing from iTunes/iPod environment to a Folder structure for my X3ii  - in Finder (iMac) I used the following:  Music Type (Rock, Jazz, Blues, Electronic, Classical etc)/Artist (under each Music type)/Albums (under each Music type by Artist)/Songs (by Album for each Artist).  I basically created the same structure that iTunes uses.  Very easy to navigate on the X3ii. It's a big and time consuming job but I'm happy to say that it works very well.

I also backed up the entire Folder structure on an external hard drive in AIFF (for iTunes backup) and then copied (duplicated) the entire Folder structure and converted the copied AIFF structure to FLAC.  I then copied the same FLAC structure onto a few MicroSD cards.  I now have my entire CD library on three 64 GB MicroSD cards for my portable system.
Well done! I will closely look on this method at a later time!

Thx for sharing mate!!!

:cool:

May 18, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,579 of 9,972
  Would you mind explaining further? I am interested in use with android use also (as flac is supported & tidal would become significantly more interesting).

It may or may not work with your phone depending on your model.  If it doesn't work you can force it to work with USB Audio Player Pro app but that only works for music in your storage, not streaming.

I found OTG to be buggy to my Note 3 (maybe because its rooted) but I've heard people have had it work successfully.

So if you buy it and your phone doesn't play nice with OTG then you can't use tidal. 

And even if it does work then you have a phone and an mp3 player strapped to each other which is rather inconvenient so it's a lot of risk for low reward IMO.

May 19, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #3,580 of 9,972

It may or may not work with your phone depending on your model.  If it doesn't work you can force it to work with USB Audio Player Pro app but that only works for music in your storage, not streaming.

I found OTG to be buggy to my Note 3 (maybe because its rooted) but I've heard people have had it work successfully.

So if you buy it and your phone doesn't play nice with OTG then you can't use tidal. 

And even if it does work then you have a phone and an mp3 player strapped to each other which is rather inconvenient so it's a lot of risk for low reward IMO.

Hmmm i think it seems to be one of those projects for the back burner. If there were some relatively easy plug and play way to do it with a Fiio App or something more dedicated, like the windows drivers, disabling the power aspect and allowing for direct digital out via the usb, I would be v interested. I have an OTG cable but not been able to get it to work. Seems like this is the first hurdle, even to get the device to read any external devices :)

The 2 device aspect doesn't really worry me. Am more concerned with the SQ, to my ears it's not so good using it as a dac via Foobar on the pc as when I listening normally.

Anyhow, thanks for explanation. Pretty much where I was anyway with my thoughts. I was just hoping that there was some actual solution.

May 19, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #3,581 of 9,972

The 2 device aspect doesn't really worry me. Am more concerned with the SQ, to my ears it's not so good using it as a dac via Foobar on the pc as when I listening normally.

Could you describe more what is lacking when using it as DAC?

I use it as DAC as well, but I hear pretty much consistent performance between DAC mode and standalone.

Do you use WASAPI driver with foobar?

May 19, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #3,582 of 9,972
I've just received my player from the local importer - went around to his house and collected it - and am listening as I write. I wasn't sure about the sound quality when compared to the original X3 and with the 32GB card I installed there clearly had been file copying issues as I noticed I was hearing garbage every so often, as I had dome with the original X3.

I've now reformatted the card after first backing up all the files, then I updated the firmware to FW1.1 and copied all the files back to the player. The formatting was done using the player's formatting option and the files were backed up and moved back without removing the card from the slot. So far all is well and the sound is very clean, although I'm not sure if it's yet the equal of FW3.34 in the earlier X3 but I'm sure it will improve in time with firmware updates. The wheel was new to me but I'm getting the hang of it. Overall, I'm impressed apart from the difficulty I had in getting the card to click into place in its slot when I first fitted it. I had to try three or four times before I was successful. For some reason FiiO decided to omit the depression in the centre of the slot that's in the original X3 which made insertion of the card so much easier. I can't think why.

May 19, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #3,583 of 9,972
Oops... I really meant that I believe the garbage was a formatting issue not a file-copying one, because backing up possibly corrupted files and then restoring them wouldn't solve the problem. of course. Anyway, formatting cards using the in-built option seems the way to go.

May 19, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #3,584 of 9,972

Could you describe more what is lacking when using it as DAC?

I use it as DAC as well, but I hear pretty much consistent performance between DAC mode and standalone.

Do you use WASAPI driver with foobar?

Just seems a bit "thinner" sounding. Not as dynamic. Honestly I don't know how much of it is psychosomatic. I suppose at the back of my mind I feel the signal coming from the PC can't be as clean as that within the Fiio itself. I'm not sure about the Wasapi driver on Foobar. I got it running in Mediamonkey but it doesnt allow for volume control from within windows itsel, which makes using the lineout on the Fiio directly with headphones a nono. Ill give it more of a play around when I have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back