The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 17, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3,556 of 9,972
  hi all, i'm seeking some advice...

i've been following the development and release of the x3 since it was announced, and i've considered buying it.  i've had some gaps in my audio hardware and i've been getting by with an ipod touch for on-the-go and mobile listening.  while i have no doubt about the audio improvements the x3 has over the touch, i love the user interface of the apple touchscreen device, its sleek profile, and its easy interplay with itunes (where i keep my music).

i am not a 'power user' - no playlists, mixes, etc... i simply like to drag and drop whole albums, and listen to in entirety.  

for those coming from an idevices (especially the touch/phone), any regrets with the x3 (or x1)?  

with the x3, is it as simple as going into itunes library (via finder) and dragging the album folder over to the x3, which i assume will appear like an external drive on the desktop?

any other pro/cons coming from an itouch/phone?  

(basically, i either keep the touch and get a dac/amp - like an e17k - that i can also use for my laptop, or i ditch the touch and get an x3, which can be a dap and a dac for my laptop).

THANKS!!!!

X3ii (and previously X3i) user. Convert from iDevices, and not looking back. No regrets. Better SQ. Freed from iTunes. No fighting with disk space issues and whether to delete music or delete apps. It's just music, with no distractions. X3ii is simple and relatively intuitive. Stick in a Micro SD card. Format it with the device. Plug it into your PC/Mac. It shows up as an external drive. Drag your iTunes Music folder onto the drive. Wait. Wait some more. Loaded? If you're an album-listener, use folder browsing, and find and play albums. Easy. Enjoy.

May 18, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #3,557 of 9,972
[COLOR=000000]Official firmware version 1.1 for the X3 2nd gen is now available.
>>Click here[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.1 compared to FW1.0:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]1. FiiO's slogan "Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO" added to starting animation[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]2. "About X3K" renamed to "About X3" in accordance with official product name.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]3. The microSD card is now identified throughout the menus as "TF card" rather than "TF卡".[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]4. Fixed issue where the status bar icons are shifted when the volume level is over 99.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]quite an underwhelming update..[/COLOR]

Whoop-dee-doo.

Very underwhelming indeed.

May 18, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,560 of 9,972
A few posts back somebody asked if the x3 gen 2 can be used as a dac for an android tablet. They were told no

Now I have not tried any android unit but I can confirm that using a ten dollar usb mini hub and an apple camera connecting kit the unit works as an apple dac. With an otg cable and that same hub (see my review for link) I bet it works as a dac for androids.

So I would respond with a qualified maybe or probably to that question

The mini hub takes the power draw negotiation out of the picture which is a key part of this

I have got samsung tab 3.0.0 how can use my x3 2nd G as a usb dac?

May 18, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,561 of 9,972
A few posts back somebody asked if the x3 gen 2 can be used as a dac for an android tablet. They were told no

Now I have not tried any android unit but I can confirm that using a ten dollar usb mini hub and an apple camera connecting kit the unit works as an apple dac. With an otg cable and that same hub (see my review for link) I bet it works as a dac for androids.

So I would respond with a qualified maybe or probably to that question

The mini hub takes the power draw negotiation out of the picture which is a key part of this

That was me, thanks. 
Someone thought it was pretty pointless, but given that android can be used for streaming services, radio, and more storage, I think it makes sense. 
I don't see why it wouldn't work for an android and OTG cable. 

May 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3,565 of 9,972
A little off topic, but anyone interested in reviewing the new X5ii? Check out this thread if you're interested (currently says X3 on the linked post, but it's really the X5).

May 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #3,566 of 9,972
Just seen that mediamonkey is windows only (I'm on a mac) so will keep looking.

Have you really read all the posts on this Forum ? From memorys I have read these infos on this Forum or...maybe on the X1 one! BrOOko or x RELIC x have talk about this, not sure!

Maybe this help...
Manual folder organization (e.g., genre - artist - album) may be easier and faster than tagging, and it is also easier for a DAP to handle (DAP may become slower or unstable when handling lots of tags). You can easily browse folder structure in Rockbox or Fiio X3 anyway. And with manual organization, you can organize albums/songs however you want (e.g., make a folder to contain playlist "meditation"). (from: zzffnn)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/2220 (Page 149)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/475945/how-do-you-organize-your-music

http://www.head-fi.org/t/734135/how-to-manually-create-playlists-for-the-x5

:cool:

May 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3,569 of 9,972
  You need a special USB cable called an 'OTG cable', connect your phone to the DAC with this. 
Not all android phones support native audio out. If yours doesn't then you have to use an app called 'USB Audio Player Pro'

Yep, but even with this app, there are still some Android phones that can not output audio through USB so do make sure to use the trial version of the app first or check the list of known working phones.

May 18, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #3,570 of 9,972
Have you really read all the posts on this Forum ? From memorys I have read these infos on this Forum or...maybe on the X1 one! BrOOko or x RELIC x have talk about this, not sure!

Well, no. At about 600 pages in here and X1 thread i didn't have a week to spare but I did search thread and google and read user manual and read random pages here, all to no avail. But thanks for your links I will check them out after work. I will probably just drag ang drop, as people have mentioned, just seems abit clunky to me? My itunes folder is currently about 250Gb from memory so i'll have to be selective, with only 128gb card.

Thanks for your help though, i do appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back