The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 4, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #3,076 of 9,972
  I gave your review of the X3II a good read this morning and I thought it was very well done and very accurate in your findings. I find it interesting to read some of the reviews after I've had my X3II for a couple weeks now that I'm very familiar with it and especially comparing it to the original X3. Thanks for the link and your review!

Glad you liked it. Thanks for the feedback.

May 4, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #3,078 of 9,972
  Thanks for the replies. I have read a lot of reviews about the 325i and a lot of users say they are bright and need that extra amping to even them out. I have read that earlier serial numbered ones are brighter than later numbered ones. Also the 325e are less bright than 325i and I think the "e" has a new driver as well.

To tame the brightness down using the player's equalizer would be the logical option. Adding an amp is an expensive and weighty, moreover absurd solution if it's just for taming the Grado's brightness. I'm not saying an amp does nothing to the sound per se, as it bypasses the X3 II's headphone amp and maybe represents (even) better sounding electronics, but I would definitely try the X3 II alone with matching EQ settings first and see if you're happy with it. I can guarantee you that it will have more than enough power to drive your SR325i. Personally I like the sound from its headphone out very much.

May 4, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #3,080 of 9,972
  Does someone know where I can buy a Fiio X3 SG here in Europe? No one has it in stock...

Where did you buy your X3 SG?

I got mine from here (Zurich). Don't know if they sell abroad.

May 4, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,081 of 9,972
The X1 was supposed to get that fix in what was its first real firmware upgrade (1.3). Given the negative feedback Fiio's received on this limitation across all of their players, both here and on their own forums, I imagine it's a major priority for both the X1 and X3ii.

I know it was fixed on the X3-I (and the X5 I believe).  What was odd was that the limitation was not present on earlier versions of the X3-I FW, but then cropped up on some later versions.

May 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3,082 of 9,972

To tame the brightness down using the player's equalizer would be the logical option. Adding an amp is an expensive and weighty, moreover absurd solution if it's just for taming the Grado's brightness. I'm not saying an amp does nothing to the sound per se, as it bypasses the X3 II's headphone amp and maybe represents (even) better sounding electronics, but I would definitely try the X3 II alone with matching EQ settings first and see if you're happy with it. I can guarantee you that it will have more than enough power to drive your SR325i. Personally I like the sound from its headphone out very much.

I also think, power would not be an issue.
And probably it is possible to get a decent sound without external amp, although I do not have personal experience with Grado's.
But beyond power and all the measurable electronic signals I still prefer to believe my ears, not cold frequency graphics...
There might be some placebo in it, but I also think, not each and every sound characteristics can be measured by machines...
 Just the same with love. You might be able to detect the change of chemicals in blood, but what a difference it is to feel and experience the change of perception in its fullness, and not trying to prove each and every detail by frequency graphics...
 There is much more you can experience, and you might not be able to translate all of it to the language of science.
I think, there is much more in a certain sound what you can measure. Call me a placebo fool, but I still rather believe my ears than machines.
And listening to what my ears prefer brought me more joy than obeying the measurements of machines so far...

May 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,084 of 9,972
I also think, power would not be an issue.
And probably it is possible to get a decent sound without external amp, although I do not have personal experience with Grado's.
But beyond power and all the measurable electronic signals I still prefer to believe my ears, not cold frequency graphics...
There might be some placebo in it, but I also think, not each and every sound characteristics can be measured by machines...
 Just the same with love. You might be able to detect the change of chemicals in blood, but what a difference it is to feel and experience the change of perception in its fullness, and not trying to prove each and every detail by frequency graphics...
 There is much more you can experience, and you might not be able to translate all of it to the language of science.
I think, there is much more in a certain sound what you can measure. Call me a placebo fool, but I still rather believe my ears than machines.
And listening to what my ears prefer brought me more joy than obeying the measurements of machines so far...

Hey Bestula, I count myself to the subjectivist camp, too. And as mentioned, I don't deny that an external amp (such as the E12A) may indeed make the sound better than the X3 II alone, no matter what EQ setting. But it's a question of cost/benefit ratio. Cost also meant in the sense of higher weight. If it's just the Grado brightness that bothers you, it's absurd to fight it with an extra amp.

May 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,085 of 9,972

Hey Bestula, I count myself to the subjectivist camp, too. And as mentioned, I don't deny that an external amp (such as the E12A) may indeed make the sound better than the X3 II alone, no matter what EQ setting. But it's a question of cost/benefit ratio. Cost also meant in the sense of higher weight. If it's just the Grado brightness that bothers you, it's absurd to fight it with an extra amp.

Cost benefit ratio is very subjective... We all have very different size of wallet...
To me cost effectiveness is very important, that is why I have one main setup and a portable IEM... I do not collect audio equipments, as I can not afford it.
So value for price is essential for me. :)
 I do not have any experience with Grado's. And I do not recommend a Grado owner to buy external amp, to improve sq... Although, an external amp can change a lot... That is my experience. But everyone go their own way in the audio kingdom... :) Size of your wallet decides... In my opinion (and experience) a well chosen setup that worth £500-700, can fulfill most of the desires... I would experiment further if I had the money, but I would not expect  drastic change in sq...
 Each to his own...

May 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,087 of 9,972
  Cost benefit ratio is very subjective... We all have very different size of wallet...
To me cost effectiveness is very important, that is why I have one main setup and a portable IEM... I do not collect audio equipments, as I can not afford it.
So value for price is essential for me. :)
 I do not have any experience with Grado's. And I do not recommend a Grado owner to buy external amp, to improve sq... Although, an external amp can change a lot... That is my experience. But everyone go their own way in the audio kingdom... :) Size of your wallet decides... In my opinion (and experience) a well chosen setup that worth £500-700, can fulfill most of the desires... I would experiment further if I had the money, but I would not expect  drastic change in sq...
 Each to his own...

If cost is no object, the recommendations should at least include an AK240, less so an external amp for the X3 II.

May 4, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,089 of 9,972
  If cost is not an object, one easily could spend thousands of dollars for a desktop rig...

...but I guess the predominant majority of Head-Fiers isn't in that situation, but are rather glad if they can get along with as little cost as possible for a comparable sound quality.

By the way, something that speaks against an external amp with the X3 II: It would obstruct equalizing the sound, as the EQ is disabled through the line out. All you get instead is mere bass boost. So it's impossible to optimize the sound on the basis of the used headphones to get the best out of them – an often mentioned goal. Even under the premise that a better amp can impove the sound, I'd say that a flat frequency response (on the ears!) is of higher value, given a passably high signal quality (as from the X3 II's headphone out). But to each his own. Just don't forget the obvious!

May 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #3,090 of 9,972

...but I guess the predominant majority of Head-Fiers isn't in that situation, but are rather glad if they can get along with as little cost as possible for a comparable sound quality.

By the way, something that speaks against an external amp with the X3 II: It would obstruct equalizing the sound, as the EQ is disabled through the line out. All you get instead is mere bass boost. So it's impossible to optimize the sound on the basis of the used headphones to get the best out of them – an often mentioned goal. Even under the premise that a better amp can impove the sound, I'd say that a flat frequency response (on the ears!) is of higher value, given a passably high signal quality (as from the X3 II's headphone out). But to each his own. Just don't forget the obvious!

Yes, yes...
 In my experience I was always going for the best value for price stuff according to reviews...
 And I managed to get a home rig for £5-600, which in my opinion can beat other rigs that cost more of the double of mine..
According to my experience a dedicated external amp around £100 sounds much better than the amp of x3 itself... It definitely worth the investment... Not just bass, but soundstage, instrument separation, cleaner, crispier sound, more detail...
 I never liked the eq on x3. Not on the 1st gen, neither on the 2nd gen. Line out is much clearer... But yes, you need an external amp for that...
Does it worth the additional 1-2-300 USD investment? With a proper headphone it does. Each to their own budget...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back