The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 3, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,046 of 9,972
About Line out again... by amplifier and speakers it was cleaner than phone out. On headphones it's much warmer... but im not sure if its by distortion by connecting to wrong deve or something its not right

May 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #3,047 of 9,972
  Can you give me a link to your review of the X3 2G? I'd really like to read it.

I also compared 1st and 2nd generation X3s in my review. See link in my signature.

May 3, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,048 of 9,972
Hello everybody. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday and your X3II's. Question...I have an X3II and I am waiting for my used Grado 325i Goldie's to arrive. I am also thinking of getting a Fiio E12 Monte blanc. Which is better for the Grado's? The regular or the A version? I read that with the JDS lab CMOY the recommended the low ohm ver for the grados. I have heard the 325i does best when amped. They are 32 ohm. any advice appreciated.

* And on the subject of CMOY altoid headphone amps, what are peoples thoughs.Are they any good. Is it worth it to pair with X3II? *

May 3, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #3,049 of 9,972
Hello everybody. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday and your X3II's. Question...I have an X3II and I am waiting for my used Grado 325i Goldie's to arrive. I am also thinking of getting a Fiio E12 Monte blanc. Which is better for the Grado's? The regular or the A version? I read that with the JDS lab CMOY the recommended the low ohm ver for the grados. I have heard the 325i does best when amped. They are 32 ohm. any advice appreciated.

* And on the subject of CMOY altoid headphone amps, what are peoples thoughs.Are they any good. Is it worth it to pair with X3II? *

The regular e12 outputs 880mW @32 Ohm resistance and is seriously powerful for a portable amp. For your Grado's you don't need that kind of power and to be honest it may sound a bit dry with the Grado.

The e12A is warmer and has 420mW @16 Ohm output power which is about double the X3 II at 224mW @16 Ohm but should play very well with the Grado. Caveat: I'm not sure if the difference in power is rated as a per channel spec or not between the two. Given the different sound signature of the e12A and the quality bass boost I would go for the e12A.

Unless of course you want a very powerful portable for future purposes.

May 3, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,050 of 9,972
OK that's what confuses me. The Grado is rated as 32 Ohm but you recommend the amp that rated @16ohm. Can you please explain why? I  need to understand why the non A would not be the best choice since its rated as 32ohm. Thanks.

May 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #3,052 of 9,972

I am using my X3 2nd Gen on my Grado SR325e.  They power them very well.  I listen on Low gain at about 60 to 70 out of 120 volume.  I am not sure what you would gain by using a E12 or an E12a.  Maybe the added bass?  But a Grado is more meant to have accurate tight bass.  I have been using the tape mod on my L-cush pads.  

Let me know how it works for you if you go that route.  Maybe I am missing something.  

May 3, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,053 of 9,972
Thanks for the replies. I have read a lot of reviews about the 325i and a lot of users say they are bright and need that extra amping to even them out. I have read that earlier serial numbered ones are brighter than later numbered ones. Also the 325e are less bright than 325i and I think the "e" has a new driver as well.

May 3, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #3,054 of 9,972
  Thanks for the replies. I have read a lot of reviews about the 325i and a lot of users say they are bright and need that extra amping to even them out. I have read that earlier serial numbered ones are brighter than later numbered ones. Also the 325e are less bright than 325i and I think the "e" has a new driver as well.

Yes, I have heard the same when comparing the i vs the e.  Maybe the amping will help.  Yes, there is a new driver in the e series.

May 3, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,056 of 9,972
I hope my X3II is enough to drive them. I am just waiting for my Grados to arrive and weighing my options. I listen to mostly rock/classic rock, alternative,Metal. I have heard they are great with these music types.

May 3, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #3,057 of 9,972
OK that's what confuses me. The Grado is rated as 32 Ohm but you recommend the amp that rated @16ohm. Can you please explain why? I  need to understand why the non A would not be the best choice since its rated as 32ohm. Thanks.

The rated specs are just a guideline to how much power the amp outputs in to a given impedance. Since FiiO doesn't list the power output for the e12A in to 32 Ohms I used the 16 Ohm rating. Basically they would be about the same output in to 32 Ohm as the e12A 32 Ohm rating is in ballpark of just over 200mW (I believe, but not documented on FiiO's site) and the X3 II is 200mW @32 Ohm.

The decision comes down to sound signature with the two. E12A has a bit more warmth or if you want to you can use the quality bass boost. Both have a lot more power than the Grado 325i requires to take control of the drivers to get good dynamics and punch from the music. The more powerful e12 is overkill for 32 Ohm headphones rated at 98db @1 mW sensitivity. You can buy one and it will work fine but it sounds more clinical and more bright and more flat compared to the e12A. But then again there's the bass boost on it as well which helps.

May 4, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3,059 of 9,972
I hope my X3II is enough to drive them. I am just waiting for my Grados to arrive and weighing my options. I listen to mostly rock/classic rock, alternative,Metal. I have heard they are great with these music types.

I listen to those, too - along with electronic. I prefer a richer sounding pair of cans. That said, I've never tried Grados - always been scared off by the descriptions. A guy at work has a pair. I'll have to do a headphone swap one of these days and find out for sure...

May 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #3,060 of 9,972
My local audio store used to sell them before I was interested. He knows my ears and he keeps saying the Grado's are so good. I think I am going to be very happy with them. I got them for a steal from a guy who is selling off his worldly possessions to sail around the world. He also upgraded the cables with Cardis balanced cables. I should have them within the next couple days. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back