The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 3, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #7,712 of 7,793
1. Click scan after selecting 

2. Click Update file tags 

3. Be sure to have RG turned on on the listening device. 

4. You need to do this to the files that are on the mSD cards, they don't sync this, you need to do this to each file. 

5.You can do this to your entire playlist or use scan per track - pick your poison.

I don't use RG, I increase or decrease the volume manually. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #7,713 of 7,793
  1. Click scan after selecting 

2. Click Update file tags 

3. Be sure to have RG turned on on the listening device. 

4. You need to do this to the files that are on the mSD cards, they don't sync this, you need to do this to each file. 

5.You can do this to your entire playlist or use scan per track - pick your poison.

I don't use RG, I increase or decrease the volume manually. 

@Dobrescu George

So after step 2.

I turned on RG on my FiiO X1

so the songs is I do direct from the player ? or

I do it on my PC then transfer it to my player ? I seriously have not clue what is going on.hahaha :frowning2: 

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #7,714 of 7,793
   @Dobrescu George

So after step 2.

I turned on RG on my FiiO X1

so the songs is I do direct from the player ? or

I do it on my PC then transfer it to my player ? I seriously have not clue what is going on.hahaha :frowning2: 

This is a data written as metadata to the physical file. 

Just import the mSD cards files or import the files on PC then copy to the mSD. This should fix your right up! 

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #7,716 of 7,793
   @Dobrescu George  I have tried editing them all using the preference > Adjust DB.Then I transfer it to my Micro SD but still the same :frowning2: 

What do you mean by preference -> adjust dB? 

You just need to follow the steps above, transfer the files then have RG active on X1ii (?) Adding other steps might not help 
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #7,718 of 7,793
  @Dobrescu George

I seriously have no idea.

What will RG actually do ?

And how do I activate RG in FiiO player.Hahahahah

Im lost 

Ok firstly you have to understand what Replay Gain is. Basically your player reads a value from the audio file metadata and increases the volume automatically in order to have the same volume level compared to the other tracks.
These values have to be calculated by an application first (like Foobar) in order to be written to the file.

For example, i ripped an album to flac and asked my audio player (I use AIMP) to calculate the gain for those files regarding a reference volume. The calculated value is written to the file metadata:

Now that the tags are written, my FiiO X1 can read those values and adjust the volume accordingly. You can decide if the X1 applies these values or not by activating the Replay Gain functionality in Play Settings -> ReplayGain.
There are two mods of the replay gain: track gain and album gain.
  1. Album gain will preserve the integrity of an album applying the same gain to the tracks of that album. This makes sense if you're listening to an entire album because tracks were recorded in the same conditions and the volume changes are intentional.
  2. Track gain will apply different gains to the tracks in order to make them all loud. It's useful when shuffling between different albums, basically every track will be louder than the default levels, that makes every track at the same volume (more or less).

Happy listening 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #7,719 of 7,793

Ok firstly you have to understand what Replay Gain is. Basically your player reads a value from the audio file metadata and increases the volume automatically in order to have the same volume level compared to the other tracks.
These values have to be calculated by an application first (like Foobar) in order to be written to the file.

For example, i ripped an album to flac and asked my audio player (I use AIMP) to calculate the gain for those files regarding a reference volume. The calculated value is written to the file metadata:

Now that the tags are written, my FiiO X1 can read those values and adjust the volume accordingly. You can decide if the X1 applies these values or not by activating the Replay Gain functionality in Play Settings -> ReplayGain.
There are two mods of the replay gain: track gain and album gain.
  1. Album gain will preserve the integrity of an album applying the same gain to the tracks of that album. This makes sense if you're listening to an entire album because tracks were recorded in the same conditions and the volume changes are intentional.
  2. Track gain will apply different gains to the tracks in order to make them all loud. It's useful when shuffling between different albums, basically every track will be louder than the default levels, that makes every track at the same volume (more or less).

Happy listening 
smily_headphones1.gif

@pedronet

Thank you for the great explanation

So this is what I should do

Step 1 : Have Foobar scan the entire album/folder of that particular album by using ' Track Gain ' ( because I am listening to shuffled music)

Step 2 : Once scanned,put the folder/album to my FiiO,enable ReplayGain and the songs level should automatically go up or down depends on the average levels

Am I right on this hahaha

Also,is there anyway I could like just only increase the levels on my music.?

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #7,720 of 7,793

@pedronet

Step 1 : Have Foobar scan the entire album/folder of that particular album by using ' Track Gain ' ( because I am listening to shuffled music)

Step 2 : Once scanned,put the folder/album to my FiiO,enable ReplayGain and the songs level should automatically go up or down depends on the average levels

RG will automatically level the song so it clips at 0 dB, you don't want to increase the volume above that as it would alias / distort. 

Being an automated process, you can't really change what it does, but most of times it does a pretty good job. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #7,721 of 7,793

@pedronet

By doing those steps, the ReplayGain would work only for the tracks you have scanned and written the gain level tags. ReplayGain aims at -14 dB relative to full scale, so this means the target loudness would be -14 dB of your X1 "volume capability". If you do this to all the tracks, then all the songs would be volume averaged between them.

To answer your last question, you could increase the levels of a specific track by modifying the signal's amplitude (using an audio editor). I highly recommend you not to do it though because you will end up distorting the song. It is one thing to amplify the volume using an amplifier that works with an analog signal (voltage through time) but changing a digital signal by software would result in a bad digital to analog conversion. You can try it and see 
tongue.gif
. The reason ReplayGain target loudness is -14dB of full scale is because it leaves a margin of 14 dB for allowing transient audio peaks to be reproduced without damaging the audio signal.

RG will automatically level the song so it clips at 0 dB, you don't want to increase the volume above that as it would alias / distort. 

Being an automated process, you can't really change what it does, but most of times it does a pretty good job. 

ReplayGain actually levels the songs at -14 dB in order to give some headroom for quick transitions and peaks as i said above 
smily_headphones1.gif
 the only thing i don't like about it, is that since it leaves that headroom, the player will play the songs in a lower volume than it would without the ReplayGain function, limiting the max volume reproduced by the player. For the X1 that is not a problem though, it has plenty of power.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #7,722 of 7,793

By doing those steps, the ReplayGain would work only for the tracks you have scanned and written the gain level tags. ReplayGain aims at -14 dB relative to full scale, so this means the target loudness would be -14 dB of your X1 "volume capability". If you do this to all the tracks, then all the songs would be volume averaged between them.

To answer your last question, you could increase the levels of a specific track by modifying the signal's amplitude (using an audio editor). I highly recommend you not to do it though because you will end up distorting the song. It is one thing to amplify the volume using an amplifier that works with an analog signal (voltage through time) but changing a digital signal by software would result in a bad digital to analog conversion. You can try it and see 
tongue.gif
. The reason ReplayGain target loudness is -14dB of full scale is because it leaves a margin of 14 dB for allowing transient audio peaks to be reproduced without damaging the audio signal.

ReplayGain actually levels the songs at -14 dB in order to give some headroom for quick transitions and peaks as i said above 
smily_headphones1.gif
 the only thing i don't like about it, is that since it leaves that headroom, the player will play the songs in a lower volume than it would without the ReplayGain function, limiting the max volume reproduced by the player. For the X1 that is not a problem though, it has plenty of power.

@pedronet

In conclusion , in layman's term , what would RG actually do ? After all this,i still dont quite understnad.hahaha 

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #7,723 of 7,793
  @pedronet

In conclusion , in layman's term , what would RG actually do ? After all this,i still dont quite understnad.hahaha 

In Layman Term - If you consider to manually increase/decrease the volume of your player as per track/album needs then you don't need to do the any of these.

Else you need RG settings to informed your player to use the pre-defined volume Level (set by you) and play accordingly.

Ideal Scenario - 

Say you host a Party you want to play some beats and fusion (or anything) in a playlist as background music and those tracks are from the different album which comes in different volume (some quieter some louder)  - You volume matched before with the RG procedure described above - with RG option enabled in the player connected with External Speaker. You don't need to manually adjust volume when a Track change - each song played in the same volume.

Same goes for when you travel with IEM on, Somehow you can't reach the volume knob for your player when the track change - With RG Procedure described above - You don't need to -The player plays the song at the same volume level. 

Hope it helps.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #7,724 of 7,793
hello. i'm new here :)
i've ordered fiio x1 (1st gen) and it will arrive in couple of days.
i'm listening mp3s and flac files on my smartphone (xiaomi redmi 3 pro) + rha ma750. sound is ok to me but can i expect sound to be improved on x1 + rha ma750?
i don't expect drastic improvement but maybe a little?
do you maybe suggest some amp for my new combo?

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #7,725 of 7,793
hello. i'm new here
smily_headphones1.gif

i've ordered fiio x1 (1st gen) and it will arrive in couple of days.
i'm listening mp3s and flac files on my smartphone (xiaomi redmi 3 pro) + rha ma750. sound is ok to me but can i expect sound to be improved on x1 + rha ma750?
i don't expect drastic improvement but maybe a little?
do you maybe suggest some amp for my new combo?

You should see a good improvement, depending how much you like the signature 
biggrin.gif

Mi Max to X1ii, there is some improvement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back