The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Dec 24, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #6,496 of 7,793
My only complaint is how long it takes to scroll through the menus.

Must have been spinning that wheel for a minute straight and got only halfway down my artist list, and i only have ~10GB of music all MP3 so far!

Everything else about it is perfect. I am still running 1.4 as it came on my X1 as i have seen no reason to upgrade yet. The SQ is extremely enjoyable.

edit: Forgot I haven't tried it with my project polaris with "line out" mode yet - damn I might like this sound more than my USB DAC!

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #6,497 of 7,793

Must have been spinning that wheel for a minute straight and got only halfway down my artist list, and i only have ~10GB of music all MP3 so far!

Everything else about it is perfect. I am still running 1.4 as it came on my X1 as i have seen no reason to upgrade yet. The SQ is extremely enjoyable.

edit: Forgot I haven't tried it with my project polaris with "line out" mode yet - damn I might like this sound more than my USB DAC!

Firmware 1.6 fixes the scrolling issue.

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #6,498 of 7,793

Try using a hierarchial folder system coupled with folder rather than tag browsing - it helps

My library is arranged:

/A-C/Artist/Album/Tracks
/D-F/Artist/Album/Tracks
/G-I/Artist/Album/Tracks
/J-L/Artist/Album/Tracks
/M-O/Artist/Album/Tracks

etc.  Adds an extra click - but saves a lot of scrolling :)

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6,499 of 7,793
Firmware 1.6 fixes the scrolling issue.

Not really. While firmware 1.6 in fact improves the scrolling precision, it still takes a lot of scrolling to navigate long lists in large libraries as mentioned by @vapman.

Changing the behavior of prev/next buttons while navigating in lists to work as page down/up would really speed up the navigation in long lists...

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #6,501 of 7,793
Try using a hierarchial folder system coupled with folder rather than tag browsing - it helps

My library is arranged:

/A-C/Artist/Album/Tracks
/D-F/Artist/Album/Tracks
/G-I/Artist/Album/Tracks
/J-L/Artist/Album/Tracks
/M-O/Artist/Album/Tracks

I use a folder structure of Genre/Album Artist/Album. This works well for me as I'll usually have an idea what kind of music I feel like listening to and I won't have a ton of artists in any one category.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #6,502 of 7,793
I use a folder structure of Genre/Album Artist/Album. This works well for me as I'll usually have an idea what kind of music I feel like listening to and I won't have a ton of artists in any one category.

Yesss I have this same folder structure! It works very well.. I really want to incorporate years in there but I'm not sure that would be an additional headache. Especially since many of the artists I listen to have albums in different years.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #6,504 of 7,793
Hi, all. Two questions:

1. What's the difference between "idle poweroff" and "sleep"?

2. What are "key-lock settings"?

Thanks in advance!

1. Idle power off will shut down the player after the set duration if no buttons are pressed or when an album finishes (if its inactive)

2. Sleep timer will shut the player down after the set duration regardless what the player is doing (for example, setting it before you drift off to sleep)

3. The key lock settings lock different buttons so you can still have some or no buttons active when the screen is off. (the animations will explain what each lock setting does)

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #6,505 of 7,793

My library is arranged:

/A-C/Artist/Album/Tracks
/D-F/Artist/Album/Tracks
/G-I/Artist/Album/Tracks
/J-L/Artist/Album/Tracks
/M-O/Artist/Album/Tracks

Personally I synchronize the music files from my PC to a 128GB card, so this workaround would not work for me (since I would need to change this structure also in my PC and this is not something I am willing to do).

For now I moved the 128GB card to my Sony A15, and in the X1 I am using a 32GB card with fewer songs. I use both players (A15 and X1), and while I prefer the sound quality of the X1, it cannot handle a large music collection supported by large SD cards.

I will possibly retire te Sony A15 when Fiio implements the next/prev buttons to work as page down/up when navigating lists...

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #6,506 of 7,793
Even if the scroll wheel is faster in 1.6, i'm surprised this device seems to do so poorly with large music libraries. I still love it despite the clunky UI but i'm finding the media library is simply unpractical to use.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #6,507 of 7,793
  Even if the scroll wheel is faster in 1.6, i'm surprised this device seems to do so poorly with large music libraries. I still love it despite the clunky UI but i'm finding the media library is simply unpractical to use.

even with faster scrolling DAPs I find it to be a bother to have it all under 1 folder and scroll.
so more than the wheel and scrolling speed, I would rather have alphabet navigation by album or by folder on all my DAPs. but using Brooko's suggestion, problem solved. I actually have one folder per alphabet letter on my big µsd cards, so actual alphabet browsing on the X1 ^_^.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,508 of 7,793
yup, you might be right.
do any of your have recommendations for programs to organize your music?
all the ones i found in the past did not work well or couldn't sort out duplicates well.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,509 of 7,793

Psrt of that may simply be the processor. The X3ii has a similar looking UI but roll through the large libraries, faster and with more precise conttrol. I have similar music libraries on my X1's and the X3ii itt simply works better and I don't have that run ahead of the UI feeling ever with it. My solution was to stay with 64 gig cards on the X1's instead of the 128 I use on the 3. ( although the 128 says it has a higher trans rate ) Plus I cleaned up the file naming structure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back