The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Jun 4, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #5,866 of 7,793
I think that's the first time I ever read or heard of anyone suggesting returning something before it actually arrived.
confused_face_2.gif

@clee290
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #5,867 of 7,793

I saw your post. How is it "better"? Please elaborate.

I'll ask again, if received a version below 1.3 then why wouldn't the 1.4 firmware I've linked above solve any possible issues?

Like I mentioned before, I feel the scroll wheel being more responsive. On pre-1.3 models, it wasn't very responsive, and I did upgrade it to 1.3. Screen looks better, seems like resolution is better. 

1.4 Firmware wouldn't fix any issues because it only brings in support for the new hardware.

Yes, they made hardware revisions, but the firmware (1.3, 1.4, etc.) is pure software. 1.3 does address some slight changes due to the different screen, but I can and do have 1.3 installed on my X1 purchased at launch. 1.4 is to address changes due to the new RAM and I can install it on my X1 purchased at launch (I haven't due to it not having any other changes).

So telling people to return their X1 if it comes with 1.2 isn't really good advice as they can just update it to the latest firmware.

Well, personally I wouldn't like to get old stock when the new stock comes with probably better hardware.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #5,868 of 7,793
  Like I mentioned before, I feel the scroll wheel being more responsive. On pre-1.3 models, it wasn't very responsive, and I did upgrade it to 1.3. Screen looks better, seems like resolution is better. 

1.4 Firmware wouldn't fix any issues because it only brings in support for the new hardware.

Well, personally I wouldn't like to get old stock when the new stock comes with probably better hardware.

There's absolutely no evidence to support your statement that it has "probably better hardware". 

Regarding the screen:
"On a positive note, FiiO managed to select another display with the most similar resolution, color and performance as the former one through very careful testing and evaluation"
Could be better, could be worse. Can't really say without specific numbers.

"3. The wide viewing angle of the new display screen will be slightly narrowed down."
Worse.

Nothing was said regarding the new Flash/RAM modules, so you can't assume it to be better or worse.

Your X1 feeling more responsive could just mean that you were unlucky and received an X1 that wasn't very responsive. That doesn't mean all X1s pre-1.3 are bad. My launch X1 is responsive, it moves when I tell it to move.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #5,869 of 7,793

There's absolutely no evidence to support your statement that it has "probably better hardware". 

Regarding the screen:
"On a positive note, FiiO managed to select another display with the most similar resolution, color and performance as the former one through very careful testing and evaluation"
Could be better, could be worse. Can't really say without specific numbers.

"3. The wide viewing angle of the new display screen will be slightly narrowed down."
Worse.

Nothing was said regarding the new Flash/RAM modules, so you can't assume it to be better or worse.

Your X1 feeling more responsive could just mean that you were unlucky and received an X1 that wasn't very responsive. That doesn't mean all X1s pre-1.3 are bad. My launch X1 is responsive, it moves when I tell it to move.

Yes there is no evidence. I merely stated that it was my opinion. Why I used the word 'probably' is because I believe that the reason why they could not source the components any more is due to them being obsolete - hence newer hardware.

With regards to the responsiveness, I was referring to the scroll wheel, which if you read back the pages, people do complain that it isn't too responsive.

On a separate note, my previous unit's screen would flash when I first hit the power button while it is off. The new one won't

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #5,870 of 7,793
  Yes there is no evidence. I merely stated that it was my opinion. Why I used the word 'probably' is because I believe that the reason why they could not source the components any more is due to them being obsolete - hence newer hardware.

With regards to the responsiveness, I was referring to the scroll wheel, which if you read back the pages, people do complain that it isn't too responsive.

On a separate note, my previous unit's screen would flash when I first hit the power button while it is off. The new one won't

Not necessarily. It could mean the manufacturer stopped making the screens, so they had to get screens from someone else. Or they just didn't want to continue buying screens from that manufacturer. Or they found cheaper screens from someone else (which could explain the worsened viewing angles). It could be any number of reasons.

Of course, other people may have received X1s with issues as well. When buying anything, there's always a possibility of receiving a "dud" or a "lemon". And those people with issues will always be louder.

My X1 from launch doesn't seem to do that. It could just be a sign that you, unfortunately, got a "dud".

Edit: I don't want to seem like I'm attacking you, so I do apologize if anything I've said has offended you.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #5,871 of 7,793

I concur. My unit that shipped with FW1.4 doesn't have the most responsive wheel. It's gotten a tad better, but it misses a step quite often. Fiio said it's designed that way-which sounds crazy.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #5,872 of 7,793

Not necessarily. It could mean the manufacturer stopped making the screens, so they had to get screens from someone else. Or they just didn't want to continue buying screens from that manufacturer. Or they found cheaper screens from someone else (which could explain the worsened viewing angles). It could be any number of reasons.

Of course, other people may have received X1s with issues as well. When buying anything, there's always a possibility of receiving a "dud" or a "lemon". And those people with issues will always be louder.

My X1 from launch doesn't seem to do that. It could just be a sign that you, unfortunately, got a "dud".

Edit: I don't want to seem like I'm attacking you, so I do apologize if anything I've said has offended you.

Yes you're right. But personally I think that the reason why they didn't post the specifications of the new display is not to anger the early adopters. When I first read the news of the change, and I saw the part where they said the viewing angle is slightly lowered, the selfish part of me felt relieved that I wasn't on the losing end of the stick. However, I do maintain that the new screen looks better. The viewing angle isn't even bad at all, I can view is from almost 90 degrees. 

From what you have said, I do believe mine was a dud, and it was replaced, albeit a different problem. Don't worry about the 'attack', it all makes for a good discussion. Cheers!

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5,876 of 7,793
Depends on the iPod.  I've loved mine.  Best UI in the business, and generally a very clean sound (most of the later releases measure really well).  The shortfaslls for me have always been storage and power output.  And this is where the Fiios excel 
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5,877 of 7,793
  I can also confirm this with both the X1 and X3 second gen.  Gapless works great with FLAC but is hit or miss with mp3 and has the "micro pause" with aac.  I am hoping this can get fixed.

I'm a long time reader, but my first post here. I am user of DAPs for quite some time, and two months ago I upgraded my Rocboxed Sansa Clip Zip to a Fiio X1. I also still own a good and old Sony Walkman NWZ-E344 which is still in use.

With that said, I can say that I have a successfull experience in encoding MP3 files for gapless playback. And it works very well in Fiio X1 (Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" are my preferred albmus for testing gapless playbakc).

The trick is to encode all (separate) WAV files into (separate) MP3 files using a *single* LAME command line. I learned this trick from Rockbox's wiki, and the command line for enconding the MP3 files for gapless playback will look something like:

Code:
 lame --other_options --nogaptags --nogap track01.wav track02.wav track03.wav ...

I can confirm that enconding MP3 files using the above command line will produce gapless playback when played in Fiio X1 (and also in Rockbox). More details at http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GaplessHowTo

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #5,878 of 7,793
That's interesting.  I am using dbpoweramp to rip my cd's to FLAC and 256 fdk-aac using the dual encoder function.  I have played with various formats by using the FLAC files and coverting them to  AAC,LAME 320 mp3 or variable mp3.   With both the Fiio X1 and X3 second edition, FLAC always is gapless, FDK-aac always has a micro gap and LAME mp3 (regardless if cbr or vbr) sometimes plays gapless but most of the time is not.  Do I need to add some command line if I convert my FLAC files to LAME mp3?   I am not dead set on what particular lossy format to use yet.  I am over half way done with my cd collection (have a little over 500 cds total) and will have to make my decision once I am done.  My plan is just to batch convert the FLAC files into what format I choose. It will either be 320 mp3, 245 vbr or 256 aac.  So far I am leaning towards 256 aac, but if I can get the gapless to work with the Fiio players using LAME mp3 I will go that route.  My encoding skills are mostly just letting the programs do it for you (like dbpoweramp)- I have never used command lines for encoding.  I am not even sure if you can add command lines to dbpoweramp. Thanks for your help.

Scott

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5,879 of 7,793
  That's interesting.  I am using dbpoweramp to rip my cd's to FLAC and 256 fdk-aac using the dual encoder function.  I have played with various formats by using the FLAC files and coverting them to  AAC,LAME 320 mp3 or variable mp3.   With both the Fiio X1 and X3 second edition, FLAC always is gapless, FDK-aac always has a micro gap and LAME mp3 (regardless if cbr or vbr) sometimes plays gapless but most of the time is not.  Do I need to add some command line if I convert my FLAC files to LAME mp3?   I am not dead set on what particular lossy format to use yet.  I am over half way done with my cd collection (have a little over 500 cds total) and will have to make my decision once I am done.  My plan is just to batch convert the FLAC files into what format I choose. It will either be 320 mp3, 245 vbr or 256 aac.  So far I am leaning towards 256 aac, but if I can get the gapless to work with the Fiio players using LAME mp3 I will go that route.  My encoding skill are mostly just letting the programs do it for you (like dbpoweramp)- I have never used command lines for encoding.  I am not even sure if you can add command lines to dbpoweramp. Thanks for your help.

Scott

When converting FLAC to MP3, I first decode FLAC to WAV (since LAME does not take FLAC as input), and then WAV to MP3 using the command line I mentioned above.

However it does require you to use Windows (or Linux) LAME command line and other command line tools. So far I have not found any "friendly" tool which is capable of correctly encoding gapless MP3. Unfortunately I am not familiar with dbpoweramp, so I cannot say for sure if it would support this commandline. But other tools I tested, the command line that was configurable would be called once per file, which will not work for gapless (it requires a single command line for LAME to encode all WAV files at once).

I wrote myself a windows script to do this, but still is not user friendly at all...

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,880 of 7,793
Ok I finally got my nx1 I hooked everything up pressed the select option with box and arrow turned on my nx1 but when I lower the volume on my nx1 with the knob my headphones left side is louder then my right side is this normal until I raise the volume then it's fine It's on low gain

And why does the fiio get really loud when you turn the selection option button on the first time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back