The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 16, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #5,371 of 7,793
Any chance a way to browse artists alphabetically is going to be added? Like you can do with Rockbox or the long depahted Rio Karma. Like so:
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

then once you select the letter you get all the artists starting with that letter. This would save what sometimes feels like infinite scrolling trying to get to a particular artist. I'm sure this had already been asked/suggested a bunch of times. 
You will need a huge 250GB card to accomodate all this! :D

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #5,372 of 7,793
  Any chance a way to browse artists alphabetically is going to be added? Like you can do with Rockbox or the long depahted Rio Karma. Like so:
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

then once you select the letter you get all the artists starting with that letter. This would save what sometimes feels like infinite scrolling trying to get to a particular artist. I'm sure this had already been asked/suggested a bunch of times. 

we suggested again not long ago (but was it that topic? ^_^) to do that yourself.
my µSD is sorted with alphabet folders and inside the artists for each letter. so I browse by folder as an alphabet redneck browsing.
biggrin.gif
and it does improve navigation a great deal!

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #5,373 of 7,793
we suggested again not long ago (but was it that topic? ^_^) to do that yourself.
my µSD is sorted with alphabet folders and inside the artists for each letter. so I browse by folder as an alphabet redneck browsing. :D and it does improve navigation a great deal!
Like all iPod do! Redneck!? I like this! :D In fact, what's this means?

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #5,374 of 7,793

my µSD is sorted with alphabet folders and inside the artists for each letter. so I browse by folder as an alphabet redneck browsing.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. It would work, but would be a minor(or major) PITA for some users. Feels like a workaround for lack of a very sensible navigation method IMO. The Rio Karma could do it and that thing's ancient compared to the X1.

(dope back in the day - mine skips if you fart on it these days) 

I was riding my bike earlier and while stopped at an intersection I decided I might be able to listen to some Purity Ring if I hurried, but as the light began to change and I had to bike back up I only managed to make it to Rachel Yamagata - and I was totally not in the mood for Rachel Yamagata. Woe is me, I know. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #5,375 of 7,793

biggrin.gif

Like all iPod do! Redneck!? I like this!
biggrin.gif
In fact, what's this means?

from urban dictionary ^_^
Quote:
redneck engineering:
The use of unorthodox methods and tools to build, modify or repair machinery, vehicles, etc, usually with little regard to finesse or technique.

Common tools include: sledgehammers, cutting torches, arc welders, come-alongs, jacks, porta-power kits, large prybars, sawzalls, lengths of pipe and 2 X 4s

So named for the stereotypical redneck who fixes things through brute force and duct tape.
The popular TV shows Monster Garage and Junkyard Wars often feature great masterpieces of redneck engineering

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5,377 of 7,793
Old and Curious:  The latest beta for the X3 does have play through folder.  I personally think that even though it is labeled as beta, that X3 firmware is terrific and shows off the X3 in its fading glory very well.

Castle of Argh:  First of all, I must admit that I smell of elderberries.  Just had to put that out there.    Now, you seem to take on the concept of chipsets having a sound signature.  Is that really the stance you meant to take?  If all chipsets sound the same, then why do so many enthusiasts think various DAP units sound different  Just the firmware or the amp circuit?

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #5,378 of 7,793
Posting this for anybody who is still looking for the best program to use for managing music with the X1:

JRiver Media Center is a fantastic program and after loading my X1 up with far more than the 5800 songs the X1 can handle at the moment, I was able to update my library on the X1 without it locking up the device like it did with music that I transferred using WinAmp.  JRiver seems to definitely be a more well-rounded product than iTunes, WinAmp, or any other competing program.  I finally feel like I have control over my library.  Even though it is a modest 32,000ish files at the moment, Proper tagging, album artwork, etc was a HUGE issue when I was using iTunes.

Use JRiver if you have an X1!

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5,379 of 7,793
... Already having rednoze, but never get a redneck! :D

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #5,380 of 7,793
  Old and Curious:  The latest beta for the X3 does have play through folder.  I personally think that even though it is labeled as beta, that X3 firmware is terrific and shows off the X3 in its fading glory very well.

Castle of Argh:  First of all, I must admit that I smell of elderberries.  Just had to put that out there.    Now, you seem to take on the concept of chipsets having a sound signature.  Is that really the stance you meant to take?  If all chipsets sound the same, then why do so many enthusiasts think various DAP units sound different  Just the firmware or the amp circuit?

well most DAC chips, when ideally implemented by the manufacturer, can pretend to amazing specs like beyond 100db signal fidelity in most measurements. given that almost everybody fails to pass a 16 vs 24bit abx, I would think that 96db is a good point to start talking about transparency. so DACs good enough down to -100db or even below will tend to sound the same too. that's how I see this. simple signal fidelity's logic, as I in effect didn't have the opportunity to test DAC chips alone in a controlled environment. at best I have whole DACs so it tells me nothing about the chipset alone and I don't dare to make theories about one thing in the box when all I can test is the entire box.

none of those making the claims of a difference care to, or can, verify that the differences they hear come specifically from the DAC chip itself. they just take 2 random occurrences (yesterday I saw a black cat and then fell down the stairs, so black cats bring bad luck) and decide they are related. the DACs could have a different sound because of a different impedance, because of a different voltage output, because of the output stage itself being widely different, because of some grounding issue or because of what they ate for lunch for all I know.... but nobody even thinks or cares about those stuff.
then there is the good old bias at work. and once you think "sabre DACs are neutral and cold", the next time you will hear one, how do you get away from that psychological bias? you can't really unless it's a controlled blind test. so most likely it will sound neutral and cold to you. and there you go with the DAC chip urban legend.
can't blame people for having ideas and opinions, but I sure can blame them for making claims they can't support ^_^.

now obviously not all DAC chips are implemented in DAPs the exact way the manufacturer recommended(for money or space reason I would guess). and that would lead to subpar measurements compared to the manufacturer's specs. that may in turn have a special sound. and maybe that's what led to the idea that some chipsets had a house sound. but that's a theory at best, I still think that most DACs are able of transparency whatever the chipset they use, as long as the job is well done.

as for "If all chipsets sound the same, then why do so many enthusiasts think various DAP units sound different", I often answer that there are several thousand reports of UFOs over the world every year. what can we conclude? that UFOs are real, or that many people can believe something and be dead wrong about it?

to go back on topic a little, up until now the latest firmware works like charm for me(and so did the previous ones). it's a great little DAP once the µSD card if well tagged and sorted.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #5,381 of 7,793
Hey everyone! I'm new to these parts so please bare with me. I been browsing these threads for some time, finally became a member. Some time ago I was looking for a dedicated player and came across the sansa devices, picked a few up, rockboxed them and absolutely loved them. They were great for working out, riding bike, etc but I a bit to small for me. Eventually started using my phone and began streaming the majority of my music. Eventually I got sucked back in here and started looking for a dedicated player once again. I brought the sansa clips out of retirement and started using them again, started reading about amps and what not and noticed that many people paired up the clips with the fiio e6. I was curious to see if this made a difference in the way music sounded to me so I decided to pick one up. Not soon after ordering the e6 did I come across the X1 and just fell in love with the look, design, size of it. I also ordered one and received the 2 devices around the same time. Now for the whole point of this story I was wondering if the e6 pairs well with the x1 or is it really unnecessary as the x1 handles most headphones well? I also picked up a pair of m50x's as the price was to good not to. Sorry for rambling on but like I said I'm new to these parts and just looking for some advice. Love the site, thanks in advance!

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #5,382 of 7,793
Hey everyone! I'm new to these parts so please bare with me. I been browsing these threads for some time, finally became a member. Some time ago I was looking for a dedicated player and came across the sansa devices, picked a few up, rockboxed them and absolutely loved them. They were great for working out, riding bike, etc but I a bit to small for me. Eventually started using my phone and began streaming the majority of my music. Eventually I got sucked back in here and started looking for a dedicated player once again. I brought the sansa clips out of retirement and started using them again, started reading about amps and what not and noticed that many people paired up the clips with the fiio e6. I was curious to see if this made a difference in the way music sounded to me so I decided to pick one up. Not soon after ordering the e6 did I come across the X1 and just fell in love with the look, design, size of it. I also ordered one and received the 2 devices around the same time. Now for the whole point of this story I was wondering if the e6 pairs well with the x1 or is it really unnecessary as the x1 handles most headphones well? I also picked up a pair of m50x's as the price was to good not to. Sorry for rambling on but like I said I'm new to these parts and just looking for some advice. Love the site, thanks in advance!

In short, the amp section of FiiO X1 should be a little more polished than E6. You'll probably find the signal cleaner simply from X1 headphone out.

Of course, you can try but I really don't see much point. (just being honest). X1 will drive those M50x well enough and you have a one device solution.

I'm actually evaluating E11K tied to X1 today / ongoing. I still think X1 performs well as a stand alone unit.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,383 of 7,793

In short, the amp section of FiiO X1 should be a little more polished than E6. You'll probably find the signal cleaner simply from X1 headphone out.

Of course, you can try but I really don't see much point. (just being honest). X1 will drive those M50x well enough and you have a one device solution.

I'm actually evaluating E11K tied to X1 today / ongoing. I still think X1 performs well as a stand alone unit.

Exactly what I was looking for, an honest opinion. I am very new to this and don't really have any plans to continue purchasing hi-end equipment. I think the X1 is exactly what I was looking for and I am extremely pleased with it. I guess I can just keep the E6 to use with my Clip Zip when I go out on my bike. Thanks again for your help.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5,384 of 7,793
  Exactly what I was looking for, an honest opinion. I am very new to this and don't really have any plans to continue purchasing hi-end equipment. I think the X1 is exactly what I was looking for and I am extremely pleased with it. I guess I can just keep the E6 to use with my Clip Zip when I go out on my bike. Thanks again for your help.

Hi,
can you tell me please, what's your own opinion of the sound of the devices, I understand that you received all of them ...

1. Do you hear any difference between X1 and the Clip?
2. Do you hear difference between clip amped and unamped?
3. Do you hear a difference beween LO and HO of the X1? Amped/unamped?

Try to expirement, you might have other conclusions. For an instance, the FiiO E06 might not be more powerful than the output of the X1, but it's built-in equalizer settings might better suit your taste than the built in equalizer of the X1 ...

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5,385 of 7,793

Hi,
can you tell me please, what's your own opinion of the sound of the devices, I understand that you received all of them ...

1. Do you hear any difference between X1 and the Clip?
2. Do you hear difference between clip amped and unamped?
3. Do you hear a difference beween LO and HO of the X1? Amped/unamped?

Try to expirement, you might have other conclusions. For an instance, the FiiO E06 might not be more powerful than the output of the X1, but it's built-in equalizer settings might better suit your taste than the built in equalizer of the X1 ...

Hi,

I would honestly have to say that I would have to sit down and really listen to everything. I guess my ears aren't trained very well because most of the time I can not tell the difference. I can say without a doubt that I noticed a huge difference listening from the M50X's then from basic earphones. It really is my first time getting into the world of audio so I still have a ton to learn. I honestly picked up the items because of other users experiences, the X1 just grabbed my attention because of the few things stated above, not to mention the great price. I will try and get some time to sit down and really test everything out. I know it's all a matter of opinion and taste but I appreciate the recommendations and opinions of all, especially those who have a lot more experience in the area that me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back