The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #2,988 of 7,793

This has been my impression of the X1's headphone out from Day 1.  I've kept quiet because I thought I was the only one. I would describe the X1's headphone out as noticeably bass deficient - quite the opposite of what most others are reporting.  

If you look at my initial impressions posted at the beginning of this thread, I had pretty much the same experience.  The treble was a bit harsh, or grainy, midrange was dry and the soundstage was too forward for my taste.  Burn in did help, but I still greatly prefer the frequency balance and soundstage presentation when I use LO with an amp. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,989 of 7,793
Hello

Can someone check if their X1 can also be turned on by simply clicking the power button once instead of the instructed hold 2 seconds, because mine does so trying to determine if I have a "faulty power button" :)

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #2,990 of 7,793

This has been my impression of the X1's headphone out from Day 1.  I've kept quiet because I thought I was the only one. I would describe the X1's headphone out as noticeably bass deficient - quite the opposite of what most others are reporting.  

Also, to my ears, a Clip+ with Rockbox mops the floor with it (through the headphone jack), but I've said the same about the Clip/Rockbox in comparison to many players up to $250 or so. 

I've been using my X1 exclusively through its lineout with different amps as a result, but admittedly there was not 6 hours of use on the X1 when I stopped using the headphone out. 

I suppose burnin could be a major factor with the X1's headphone stage, but it would have to be a really significant improvement to change my opinion.

I'm not sure I'd say it's worse than my Rockboxed Fuze, but I'm not sure it's appreciably better either. I am considering getting an E11k to pair with it, but so far, on its own, I think the extra power output is the only edge the X1 has over a Sansa at half the price.

Edited to add that the inline controls are a relative strength as well.

On the other hand, the X1 and RHA MA 750i make me happier than the Vali and Mad Dog Pro that I just sold, so take that with a low-end grain of salt.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,991 of 7,793
The build is way better on the X1. The touch control on the Fuze isn't too good. The Fuze is all plastic and I felt that mine might last a few weeks before looking a bit nasty and scratched. The X1 reads much larger cards and so you can store a lot of high resolution stuff on it. The Fuze doesn't have a line out. The x1 reads cards way faster than my Fuze.

On just pure sound, there's no massive deal but you could go cheaper perhaps and get a Clip. That sounds good too.

I think that the X1 is a bit more dynamic than the Fuze and the sound is pretty even throughout.

My own feeling is that the X1 is really much nicer than a Fuze and sound is excellent from the line out. I also prefer the X1 over the Ipod Classic.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2,992 of 7,793
I mean the Fuze, not the Fuze+. Mine looks like complete hell because it's lived in my pocket with my keys and whatnot, but it is still going strong after 5 or 6 years.

I hadn't really taken the build quality into consideration, but if I factor that and the ability to play higher res files, I suppose I'll give it a slight edge.

I'm not unhappy with my purchase at all and would likely buy another if I lost this one, but if the original Fuze were still available, it would be a very tough choice.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,993 of 7,793
I agree that both Fuze and Fuze+ sound excellent. I have both. I got a Fuze+ and then bought a second hand Fuze for peanuts.

However, we tend to overlook other things in our pursuit for great sound/value.

If I were to buy another player, I'd buy another x1 with 128 cards and start shifting all of my CD's for home use via the line out. It is lovely via line out. It is better than both Fuzes then!!

Of course the advantage is then going away with high res cards and sections of your collection that can be chNged in minutes.

Tbh, the X1 has made me seriously consider the X5 now. Once the software settles, I may well go for it following a pleasant surprise from the X1.

I'm selling two Classics and two Nanos now because of it!!!

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,994 of 7,793
No one can answer if X1 plays standard MP3s as good or better then Cowon J3?

nekromantik The X series decodes mp3 at 32 bit precision, offering enhanced detail retrieval over other DAPs:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/7875#post_10498071

(taken from the X5 thread, applies to the X1 also)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,995 of 7,793
I'm pretty sure that what you think is the protector is in reality the cover for the protector. It comes in two pieces - the protector itself, and then a top plastic cover that should peel off with the paper tab. it worked perfectly on mine. I think maybe you're trying to leave the cover in place, and it should be removed. Trying to remove the tab from the cover is difficult because it's not meant to be removed from it.

Can someone confirm this? Do you need to peel off the paper sticker or does the screen protector have its own "protection" layer so that you need to peel off a whole layer of it together with the paper label?

I like the build quality of the X1 and the scroll wheel. Changed color scheme to orange which to me is better readable.

Copying files to the 64 GB class 10 Toshiba micro sd card in the player works fine if I connect the x1 via USB and format the card in the FIIO itself, albeit it's a bit slow at only 4 MB/s - writing to the card directly when it is in fat32 as formatted by the FIIO for some reason did not work with my dell's built in sd card reader, perhaps a dell driver issue or an incompatibility between windows 7 and the Toshiba card.

Just had my first freeze of the device after 2 days of usage (still on the first firmware). The hole where you reset it is extremely small - paper clip is too big, you need a find needle.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #2,996 of 7,793
  the beta firmware for X1 available now, Joe will upload to somewhere so you guy can download, 

the new firmware add some new feature like playlist support and two switcher. one to turn on/off the inline control. one is choose display the files name or the title name of the sound track in now playing. and fix some bugs.

Anyway, here is the link for China and hope it work for other regions too. http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1237412515&uk=3960002298.   

Hi @JamesFiiO , @Joe Bloggs

Not too sure if you saw my previous post, but I have a suggestion.

It would nice if the next firmware upgrade can include the display of bit rate of the music currently playing. (Example: 320Kbps MP3, 192Kbps AAC, 1411Kbps PCM WAV). Currently there is only the format of the music displayed, and beside would be the sampling rate. (WAV 44.1KHz/16 Bits)   Maybe can add in for the new update to display as (WAV 1411Kbps PCM 44.1KHz/16 Bits) or (MP3 320Kbps 44.1KHz/ 16 Bits) Somewhere along that line. It is a nice to have feature I feel.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #2,997 of 7,793
As told before, i find that with  provided GraphicsUi Themes it's very difficult to read text or icons status!
Any news about a Black Theme that would be more readable o r the possibility to select black or white for text?
Would also be nice to be able to switch off covers display to better read files name or data.

I installed the beta firmware and i have no problem with it!

Besides, it's quite useful to have support for cable commands: as i think that FiiO X1 as support for the "third ring" of contacts on 3,5mm connector, may i ask you if should be possible to have next/preview track select on cable command together with Play/Pause command?

Thanks for your help!

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,998 of 7,793
 the beta firmware for X1 available now, Joe will upload to somewhere so you guy can download, 

the new firmware add some new feature like playlist support and two switcher. one to turn on/off the inline control. one is choose display the files name or the title name of the sound track in now playing. and fix some bugs.

Anyway, here is the link for China and hope it work for other regions too. http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1237412515&uk=3960002298.   

Hi @JamesFiiO , @Joe Bloggs

Not too sure if you saw my previous post, but I have a suggestion.

It would nice if the next firmware upgrade can include the display of bit rate of the music currently playing. (Example: 320Kbps MP3, 192Kbps AAC, 1411Kbps PCM WAV). Currently there is only the format of the music displayed, and beside would be the sampling rate. (WAV 44.1KHz/16 Bits)   Maybe can add in for the new update to display as (WAV 1411Kbps PCM 44.1KHz/16 Bits) or (MP3 320Kbps 44.1KHz/ 16 Bits) Somewhere along that line. It is a nice to have feature I feel.

+1, instead of displaying cover art only, and can be placed above the running title :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #2,999 of 7,793
I'm pretty sure that what you think is the protector is in reality the cover for the protector. It comes in two pieces - the protector itself, and then a top plastic cover that should peel off with the paper tab. it worked perfectly on mine. I think maybe you're trying to leave the cover in place, and it should be removed. Trying to remove the tab from the cover is difficult because it's not meant to be removed from it.

Can someone confirm this? Do you need to peel off the paper sticker or does the screen protector have its own "protection" layer so that you need to peel off a whole layer of it together with the paper label?

Yes there are 2 layers. You need to peel the top layer off and discard it. The top layer has the sticker on it.
I sat there and scrubbed all the sticker off with alcohol and then found out I was removing the sticker off of the top layer, when the whole top layer just comes off.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #3,000 of 7,793
As told before, i find that with  provided GraphicsUi Themes it's very difficult to read text or icons status!
Any news about a Black Theme that would be more readable o r the possibility to select black or white for text?
Would also be nice to be able to switch off covers display to better read files name or data.

Having black text on the lighter colours might help. Or even, bigger text.

I think I'd use a black theme too for clarity of text if it were available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back