The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,956 of 7,793
Does anyone know the point of the 'gapless' switching in the menu? Does it save power to have gapless turned off? Easier to leave on really.

Also, does anyone know the limit of the file reading. How many before the X1 is not able to cope?

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,957 of 7,793
Ive listened to digitized classical recordings that are better listened to whithout that small pause (gap) between tracks

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2,958 of 7,793
Yes, but I'm wondering why there is the to turn it off. You'd think that it would be better just left on since you still get gaps with separate tracks. The gapless doesn't join tracks together if they were recorded separately. I'm just wondering whether it's a power saving thing.

The other question is to do with me loading a load of files onto a 128Gb card and with the number of folder layers. I may have made the menu system too deep?

I'm trying again, but it's a lot of music to load on and takes hours!!!

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,960 of 7,793
Well despite not living under a rock, this is my first Fiio product and the X1 arrived in the mail this morning.
I have not had a chance to play with audio yet, but just unboxing and flipping through menus, seems like a great bit of kit as they say.

EDIT: I had previously made comments about the sticker not coming off of the screen protector nicely.
Turns out I was mistaken and the screen protector is actually 2 LAYERS and the top layer should completely come off and be discarded.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,962 of 7,793
I'm pretty sure that what you think is the protector is in reality the cover for the protector. It comes in two pieces - the protector itself, and then a top plastic cover that should peel off with the paper tab. it worked perfectly on mine. I think maybe you're trying to leave the cover in place, and it should be removed. Trying to remove the tab from the cover is difficult because it's not meant to be removed from it.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,963 of 7,793
I'm pretty sure that what you think is the protector is in reality the cover for the protector. It comes in two pieces - the protector itself, and then a top plastic cover that should peel off with the paper tab. it worked perfectly on mine. I think maybe you're trying to leave the cover in place, and it should be removed. Trying to remove the tab from the cover is difficult because it's not meant to be removed from it.

Yes. Mine came over almost freely (no resistance) when I pulled off the paper tab. It's my third FiiO dap to date..so already know how the screen cover work

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,964 of 7,793
Does anyone notice a rather confined sound from the X1 when it's fresh out of the box? Treble, mids are rather subdued and bass has a rather significant cut-off.

After 6 hours of burn-in, the sound starts to open up but I was rather unimpressed when I first listened to them last night.

Just wondering if anyone noticed the same

This has been my impression of the X1's headphone out from Day 1.  I've kept quiet because I thought I was the only one. I would describe the X1's headphone out as noticeably bass deficient - quite the opposite of what most others are reporting.  

Also, to my ears, a Clip+ with Rockbox mops the floor with it (through the headphone jack), but I've said the same about the Clip/Rockbox in comparison to many players up to $250 or so. 

I've been using my X1 exclusively through its lineout with different amps as a result, but admittedly there was not 6 hours of use on the X1 when I stopped using the headphone out. 

I suppose burnin could be a major factor with the X1's headphone stage, but it would have to be a really significant improvement to change my opinion.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,966 of 7,793
Yes, but I'm wondering why there is the to turn it off. You'd think that it would be better just left on since you still get gaps with separate tracks. The gapless doesn't join tracks together if they were recorded separately. I'm just wondering whether it's a power saving thing.

I could never understand why anyone would ever want to turn gapless off either.  In fact, I see no reason why there is even an option to turn it off in the first place. 

However, I have since learned that some people believe the memory buffer that these players use to make gapless playback possible can be detrimental to the overall sound upon playback with some players.  I haven't experienced it myself, but others have reported hearing such issues. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,967 of 7,793

Oh sh!t. If that is true then I stand corrected. That would actually make more sense to not have the sticker actually on the protection layer.
I think I was influenced by some previous comments about the protector/sticker and didn't look close enough.
Maybe the top layer that peels away should have a big red "x" on it so you know that part comes off.

Yes, now that I have peeled that top layer off, I can still make out the edges of the protection layer underneath.
My bad Fiio :xf_eek:. I will go back and edit my other post. Rock on... :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,969 of 7,793
I could never understand why anyone would ever want to turn gapless off either.  In fact, I see no reason why there is even an option to turn it off in the first place. 

However, I have since learned that some people believe the memory buffer that these players use to make gapless playback possible can be detrimental to the overall sound upon playback with some players.  I haven't experienced it myself, but others have reported hearing such issues. 

Ok, I see now why. I also don't hear any differences so wondered if it was a power thing. I haven't noticed any power getting sucked away by it either, so it seems a bit peculiar. Thanks for that.

Does anyone know what the max number of files it can read is? The other thing I'm thinking about is whether it's worth having a 128Gb card for bulk storage or whether it just makes more sense to use big cards for hi res stuff. I'm thinking of using a card to leave everything on in lower res for long periods away from home.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,970 of 7,793
Can this thing power my senheiser hd 558 sufficiently without an external amp?  I'm using my clip zip with fiio e11 when lounging around the house and would like to cut out the middleman. It's just not loud enough for my tastes without the e11 in the middle.  But, I may be going deaf 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back