The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,656 of 7,793

X1 will use WM8740 , which used in some very expensive DAP includes AK100/AK120/HiFiMan HM802, also SONY PHA-1

Why did the DAC change? On the website it now says PCM5142. Isn't the WM8740 a much better DAC? What caused this change?

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,659 of 7,793
I think that a purely digital system, like this player, can't show any kind of phenomenon one might call "burn-in".  It's either voodoo, the user trying to justificate their purchase, or them getting used to the sound of the player. I hope for our sake that it's mostly the latter.

Have you heard of CPUs or GPUs getting better with time? They might get worse, and - outside of the physical destruction of circuits - that's because of an analog component showing signs of aging: the cooling system. They most certainly won't improve. It's the same with DAPs, outside the fact that most of them lack even the stray analog component a GPU or CPU has.

This is my understanding, but I'm open to be proven wrong.

That's a very narrow view. People used to say the same thing about speakers and headphones, but now they just look stupid with manufactures recommending it and measurements posted. Anyway, I don't think we're aloud to argue here. http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science have fun :)

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,660 of 7,793
  you are forgetting that this player have an amp section , which is analog , thats is the section that is allegedly burning in

Less like forgotten, more like getting the wording wrong. What I meant is that this player is electronic, in contrast with speakers, which have mechanic parts. You wouldn't believe, but I actually know the definition of analog, and digital, and yet I still used them wrong. Shame on me.
With that said, there is an electronic component which needs burn-in; a tube amplifier, but as far as I know Fiio didn't include one of those in the x1. :D

I've seen hundreds of articles disproving burn-in of electronic musical equipment. Could any of you show me a blind test, or a measurement which proved the existence of such a thing?

That's a very narrow view. People used to say the same thing about speakers and headphones, but now they just look stupid with manufactures recommending it and measurements posted. Anyway, I don't think we're aloud to argue here. http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not a narrow view, it's the right one, until proper evidence is shown disproving it. The burden of proof is always on those who propose an idea. And don't get me started on companies encouraging burn-in. A good chunk of them would tell a consumer anything as long as it makes them happy.

Though you do have two things right: First, speakers CAN have a burn-in time, because they have fundamentally different components(see above). And second, this isn't the right place to discuss this, and I'll refrain from further hindering the discussion. Sorry for the off.

On topic:
I can't wait to put my hands on this baby, I hope it will be a worthy successor of my umpteenth Clip+ with a headphone jack failure.
Though I'm afraid of the amp producing hiss with my quite low impedance Sennheiser Momentums.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,662 of 7,793
I think that a purely digital system, like this player, can't show any kind of phenomenon one might call "burn-in".  It's either voodoo, the user trying to justificate their purchase, or them getting used to the sound of the player. I hope for our sake that it's mostly the latter.

Have you heard of CPUs or GPUs getting better with time? They might get worse, and - outside of the physical destruction of circuits - that's because of an analog component showing signs of aging: the cooling system. They most certainly won't improve. It's the same with DAPs, outside the fact that most of them lack even the stray analog component a GPU or CPU has.

This is my understanding, but I'm open to be proven wrong.

Although I'm by no means an expert in the electrical engineering field I believe that any burn in that happens is in components like capacitors in the audio path that do in fact change (settle in) after a period of time. This has also been stated by James @ FiiO to be true with the their previous DAPs.

Personally I would say that 95% burn in is the brain adjusting to a new reference point and 5% physical change from such analogue components.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2,663 of 7,793

Although I'm by no means an expert in the electrical engineering field I believe that any burn in that happens is in components like capacitors in the audio path that do in fact change (settle in) after a period of time. This has also been stated by James @ FiiO to be true with the their previous DAPs.

Personally I would say that 95% burn in is the brain adjusting to a new reference point and 5% physical change from such analogue components.

I'm no expert either, but as far as I know, capacitors settle in during the timespan of seconds.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,665 of 7,793
I've been listening most of the day now. I'm finding that the sound seems to focus quite well at lower volumes than I usually listen at. Especially coming from the Ember. The dynamic range seems large as well.

I've been using the K612 and it sounds really quite 'fruity'.

This is definitely giving me thoughts about the x5 now. This one really is a very good buy and performs quite a bit better than I thought it would at this price level and it also sounds more robust than an IPod Classic.

64Gb card is full and the player reads it in just under two minutes. Compared to the Fuze, that is really fast!!

It drives the dt250 quite loud at volume setting 50 - 60 out of 100. The Roland at around 35 - 40 for similar perceived volume. So it has plenty of power available. Actually, the volume is digital and nicely stepped. There's 100 steps altogether, so there's good control for the more sensitive iem type earphones.

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,668 of 7,793
Are the skin that it comes with textured and does it cover the front as well? Thanks! :)

Sorry to answer your question so late bit i had to work ^~^
Bit ehen you lok closer to my picture of the X1 with the Accessoires it shows definitely the sticker are for back and frontside (although you can see just the carbon sticker right ^^)
Hope i could help

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2,669 of 7,793
Why did the DAC change? On the website it now says PCM5142. Isn't the WM8740 a much better DAC? What caused this change?

Well if you look at the first page it says PCM5142 and that was definitely announced and havent changed some time. I think thez changed somewhere half way of the X1 developement although i don't remember what the reason was ^^' maybe James still know :3
Anyway it was shurely just accidentally wrote wrong....
its still a nice part of craftmanship :)

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,670 of 7,793
Sorry to answer your question so late bit i had to work ^~^
Bit ehen you lok closer to my picture of the X1 with the Accessoires it shows definitely the sticker are for back and frontside (although you can see just the carbon sticker right ^^)
Hope i could help

No problem sir! Many thanks :D

Well if you look at the first page it says PCM5142 and that was definitely announced and havent changed some time. I think thez changed somewhere half way of the X1 developement although i don't remember what the reason was ^^' maybe James still know :3
Anyway it was shurely just accidentally wrote wrong....
its still a nice part of craftmanship :)

It is because WM8740 is too mainstream. Everyone is using it and can be found anywhere. Doesn't hurt trying different DAC. [thats what I recall]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back