The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 5, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #2,674 of 7,793
I'd be a bit worried about them peeling off and leaving a mess behind, which means that you'd have to put another one on!!

While I really like the sound of the X11 which is one of the most important things, I do feel that some small niggles could be cleared up.

a) the screen contrast could be higher. Although you can brighten the screen, in bright outdoor weather, perhaps a higher contrast would make things easier? I like the themes, but some are better than others with respect to contrast levels. Grey for instance, is quite low in contrast but Orange is better. No black with white writing? Perhaps that might help the contrast.
b) line out is brilliant. It improves the X1. The only thing is, when you turn it off and switch back on later, will you remember that you left it in Line Out. It is VERY loud if you make that mistake.
c) the lock works fine until you hold the off button down and the device switches off although it's locked! Mine switched off in my pocket. I thought it had a fault until I found that the lock screen doesn't lock the off button. There are some lock screen settings, but none include the 'off' switch.
d) There is no search facility. While you can look via album, artist, genre they are really not that good. Album is fine. Artist is fine, but genre is silly when you have a 128gb card. It comes up with individual songs rather than albums. I think a search is essential on 128 Gb.
e) the order of events on the menu where you scan your card manually or automatic seems to be (for me) in an annoying order. The first option is scan and that could be better if it were at the BOTTOM not the top. It's too easy to scan accidentally so you sit and wait for 3 or 4 minutes while it reads the bigger cards.
f) The card slot accepts cards upside down. The pins must face upwards. If you get it wrong the first time you use it, you can get the card stuck in that slot!!

These are little gripes that if fixed would make the X11 even better for me.

I need to finish by saying that I really like the sound of this DAP and the mild roll off up top seems to help to produce a fullness that is unusual in these devices. It seems to focus really well at lower volumes as well. I prefer the sound of the X11 to the Classic and love not having to use ITunes or Podtrans.

Maybe a few ideas for future revisions?

Where is the manual for this? I suspect that there are hidden commands that we don't know about!!:p

The quick start up booklet isn't good enough. For instance, what exactly do the lock screen settings do?

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #2,675 of 7,793
You won't like search engine available on scroll wheels! There is one for my iNano but it's a pain to scroll alphabet.

What I would suggest FiiO to do [I am not sure if they have already done it]:

When the user spins the wheel slightly faster, the user will get to scroll from A to B to C to D and so on instead of track by track..  

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #2,676 of 7,793
On Classics, if I'm searching for say, Genesis, by the time I've scrolled g ..... e .......n, it appears in the lists. That's one way of doing it, but I do agree that an accelerator for the wheel would be handy with big cards loaded.

It does need some kind of search though.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #2,678 of 7,793
On Classics, if I'm searching for say, Genesis, by the time I've scrolled g ..... e .......n, it appears in the lists. That's one way of doing it, but I do agree that an accelerator for the wheel would be handy with big cards loaded.

It does need some kind of search though.

Yes, an accelerator :D I don't know why I suddenly forgot the name just now, thanks!

but what if the band or the song is not in latin alphabet characters

It will be put at the end categorized as "#" but if your entire library is all non Latin alphabet characters, perhaps, maybe FiiO can speed up the scrolling by twice the original speed...

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,679 of 7,793
but what if the band or the song is not in latin alphabet characters

Ipods manage it and they're made in China aren't they? At least I think they are. What do the searches on Ipods bring up in Chinese then?

Fact is, there is no search facility at all on the X1 other than categories and then scroll which is a joke with in my case, in excess of 6000 songs.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #2,682 of 7,793
I just noticed that you can also scroll with the next track button. You can spin the wheel while doing this, which makes it a bit faster.

This is what I mean by the manual comment. There isn't one yet I don't think other than the quick start guide. You end up messing around with controls in order to find out if there are things like this.

I actually didn't see the volume adjustment being available on the wheel in the quick start up booklet but much prefer it. Also, the wake up from lock screen can be changed via the settings. I now press the centre wheel to wake up. (As well as the side button) a long hold then brings up volume on the wheel.

I really do like the sound of this player though. The gentle roll off up top makes it into quite a mellow, grown up sounding player, with no brittleness which is really nice.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,685 of 7,793
Looking for help / suggestions with the X1 and my car's stock system...

It wasn't until yesterday that I finally found an auxiliary cable lying around to try out the X1 in my car, which is a 2012 Kia Soul+.  So, I plug the cable into the X1 and the auxiliary port in my car's stock unit, set the X1 to Line Out, hit play, and...  only parts of the songs were coming through the speakers in my car.  It's almost as if everything had been panned to one side or the other.  I was hearing guitar parts and vocal parts hidden in the mix that I had never heard before, but I was on able to faintly hear the main vocals and main guitar parts of the songs.  I shut off the X1 and switched it over to Headphone Out to see if it would make a difference, but I had the same results.  All of the files I was trying to play are CD-ripped FLAC files via dBpoweramp.  I don't have an amp to try out the Line Out, but if I listen to the music directly from the X1 via the HO, then all is good and well.  I didn't try any MP3 files, yet, but I can do that today and see how it goes.  It may just be some kind of incompatibility with my car's system.  If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back