The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Aug 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,861 of 7,793
@bowei006: Fiio hasn't implemented Album Artist yet, so I'd be surprised if it's implemented on X1. What you're describing is Artist. I think @technobear was hoping the X1 would group by Album Artist over Artist so you wouldn't get songs from the same album grouped under different artists. Make sense? I'd like this, too, since I've got a lot of albums where I've had to manually change Artist tag to accomplish this.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what you meant by Album Arist. 

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,864 of 7,793
@twister6: Man, I don't want my DAP to sound like an old man :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I hope old grandpa X7's gotten a lot of exercise and eaten well!

I'm sure he did, right after he dumped grandma and joined a gym to get in shape, especially working out with wireless headphones while lifting heady duty amps like dumbbells  
wink.gif

... keep adding known X7 references into the mix: "android", "wi-fi", better "amp", etc
biggrin.gif
  Can't wait until James starts X7 thread with upcoming specs!!!

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,866 of 7,793
@^ No, personally (and subjectively, maybe), X1 is not better than the 4s. 4S has better resolution, better imaging, better bass impact, overall better sounding. Please remember this is just a super value US$99 player
biggrin.gif
, and for the price, it sounds pretty good actually.

^
Thanks for the prompt and insightful reply. Will see how it goes then, cuz i got something coming in that is supposedly very nice, so i hope it gels with my cheapo sources aka: Nokia N9/ ipod nano/ ipod classic 5th ed. . :  )

I have the iPod classic 5th edition that is hooked onto a venturecraft go-dap and it sound pretty good. The hype on that 5th ed. is a bit over hyped in this neck of the woods though, but i guess it makes for fun modding and it has one of the most stable/ best UI out there for a portable DAP so......

.... planning to hook a iPhone 4S onto one of these bad bois.hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

Too bad amazon no longer carries this venturecraft go-dap for $20. One of the best deals/most amazing bang for the buck out there, good thing i got 2 sets of these pheeeeew!!! : P

I do have an iPhone 4S but it isn't exactly in operation

I'll go off very general memory. 

iPhone 4S has slightly better mid timbre, but the X1 is slightly warmer there.

The 4S may sound a bit thin at times due to its orientation on clarity and detail (generally, not saying that it is overly clear or anything). whereas the X1 is more on a slightly thick sound. 

Stil working out the transparency part for both. I rarely use the 4S for audio playback. 

^
Thanks for the input. I wouldn't use that lowly 4S if i had all of FiiOs best DAP/AMP/DAC at my disposal as well if you knowhatimeng.
wink.gif

I'll be awaiting it. 

tongue.gif

I liked the X5 but it has a bit of a treble and general sound sig that makes it hurt a bit. 

Hope the X7 is like the E12 in sound 
tongue.gif

^
Sweet how about throwing that X5 my way then, i can take a bit of hurt, no problem!!!
tongue.gif

No pain, no gain, no game!!! :wink:

Can't wait until "grandpa" X7 will join the family
smily_headphones1.gif

+

Or a rich grandpa who invested wisely in silicone valley high tech stocks, and ended up with a custom Android interface
biggrin.gif

+
@twister6: Man, I don't want my DAP to sound like an old man :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I hope old grandpa X7's gotten a lot of exercise and eaten well!

^
i think you fools are talkin' about THIS GRAND DADDIE!!! : P

... oh i am sure he eats pretty well and gets PLENTY of exercise if you knowhatimeng. 
confused_face.gif

DEM VISUALS!!! SICK SICK SICK!!!

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,867 of 7,793
  ^
Thanks for the prompt and insightful reply. Will see how it goes then, cuz i got something coming in that is supposedly very nice, so i hope it gels with my cheapo sources aka: Nokia N9/ ipod nano/ ipod classic 5th ed. . :  )

I have the iPod classic 5th edition that is hooked onto a venturecraft go-dap and it sound pretty good. The hype on that 5th ed. is a bit over hyped in this neck of the woods though, but i guess it makes for fun modding and it has one of the most stable/ best UI out there for a portable DAP so......

.... planning to hook a iPhone 4S onto one of these bad bois.hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

Too bad amazon no longer carries this venturecraft go-dap for $20. One of the best deals/most amazing bang for the buck out there, good thing i got 2 sets of these pheeeeew!!! : P

^
Thanks for the input. I wouldn't use that lowly 4S if i had all of FiiOs best DAP/AMP/DAC at my disposal as well if you knowhatimeng.
wink.gif

^
Sweet how about throwing that X5 my way then, i can take a bit of hurt, no problem!!!
tongue.gif

No pain, no gain, no game!!! :wink:

+

+
^
i think you fools are talkin' about THIS GRAND DADDIE!!! : P

Lol

But yeah, I don't use the 4S because I do have DAPs 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,868 of 7,793
Looks like you and a little time with the X1. Can I ask whether you directly compared with iphone 4S or are comparing from memory and what HP/IEM you used?

Directly side by side, same song, same format (WAV). Testbed: lots of iems/headphone, mdr-1r mk2, philips x1, cd900st, HD700, HD800, lcd2v3 (well, maybe there's no point testing the x1 with big-heavy-complicated headphones, but they're on the table anyway. So why not? :D ), rha ma750i, jh5, k3003, fitear 222, lotsa all mainstream IEM. Some of my friends even complained the X1 has some lack of sub bass punch and too narrow soundstage. But yeah, back to the point, it's a US$ 99 DAP with good build , practicality, fairly okay sound for its price, no stupid lagging issue (not like colorfly c3), good interface, works very well with mainstream tuning earphones/headphones (not so good with analytical earphones/headphones).

Very personal opinion : I can't stand with the narrow soundstage and a bit harsh sounding. I'll stick to my sony z ultra, a bit cleaner, and bigger soundstage. But I think I'll have one, for the sake of carrying a value dap just for testing purpose.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,869 of 7,793
Fiio x1! Beautiful design, same annoying dial as x5 (yes, i hate that moving dial, it's weird..), quite laggy at first, but somehow slicker afterwards. Haven't tested the battery yet, good UI.
Sounds? At 99us$ i guess we can't get anything, can we?
Let's see.. After such comparison and discussions, we have come to a conclusion that fiio x1 simply have to be paired with mainstream iem or it simply won't cut it. Hell yeah it sounds nice with momentum, mdr 1r, even such low-fi gears such as xkdun ck700 < my personal fav. Pairing at the moment. But, when you're driving it with others.. Such as.. Let's say, er4p, or fitear p222. You got the treble and the vocals, but when the bass come... It ain't fun anymore.

Well, someone who already got a hold on this item can try x1 with iem with warm, good bass or mainstream tuning, and you've got yourself a good gear for gym, jog, etc.

And..this.
Sansa < c3~philips go gear < x1 < hippo biscuit < 4s < 5s by sound quality, direct. Tested using p222, using stockfisch record black album, track 1,2 and 6.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,870 of 7,793
Sorry, James. It seems because me and my friends had an expectation that x1 would at least be on par with your e07k, it seems that we have placed our expectation too high.. I don't want to write too harsh.. But, oh well..

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,873 of 7,793
Sfwalcer, that's a great idea with the godap. Am i right in assuming you're using a 30g to be able to do that? If so, its a shame that probably wouldn't be possible for a 60g.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #1,874 of 7,793
Directly side by side, same song, same format (WAV). Testbed: lots of iems/headphone, mdr-1r mk2, philips x1, cd900st, HD700, HD800, lcd2v3 (well, maybe there's no point testing the x1 with big-heavy-complicated headphones, but they're on the table anyway. So why not?
biggrin.gif
), rha ma750i, jh5, k3003, fitear 222, lotsa all mainstream IEM. Some of my friends even complained the X1 has some lack of sub bass punch and too narrow soundstage. But yeah, back to the point, it's a US$ 99 DAP with good build , practicality, fairly okay sound for its price, no stupid lagging issue (not like colorfly c3), good interface, works very well with mainstream tuning earphones/headphones (not so good with analytical earphones/headphones).

Very personal opinion : I can't stand with the narrow soundstage and a bit harsh sounding. I'll stick to my sony z ultra, a bit cleaner, and bigger soundstage. But I think I'll have one, for the sake of carrying a value dap just for testing purpose.

+
Fiio x1! Beautiful design, same annoying dial as x5 (yes, i hate that moving dial, it's weird..), quite laggy at first, but somehow slicker afterwards. Haven't tested the battery yet, good UI.
Sounds? At 99us$ i guess we can't get anything, can we?
Let's see.. After such comparison and discussions, we have come to a conclusion that fiio x1 simply have to be paired with mainstream iem or it simply won't cut it. Hell yeah it sounds nice with momentum, mdr 1r, even such low-fi gears such as xkdun ck700 < my personal fav. Pairing at the moment. But, when you're driving it with others.. Such as.. Let's say, er4p, or fitear p222. You got the treble and the vocals, but when the bass come... It ain't fun anymore.

Well, someone who already got a hold on this item can try x1 with iem with warm, good bass or mainstream tuning, and you've got yourself a good gear for gym, jog, etc.

And..this.
Sansa < c3~philips go gear < x1 < hippo biscuit < 4s < 5s by sound quality, direct. Tested using p222, using stockfisch record black album, track 1,2 and 6.

+
Sorry, James. It seems because me and my friends had an expectation that x1 would at least be on par with your e07k, it seems that we have placed our expectation too high.. I don't want to write too harsh.. But, oh well..

^
Good stuff ya'll. Nice impressions and comparisons!!! It's good to hear some blunt honest opinions tbh. A breath of fresh air. So thanks again!!!

But , it looks as sexy as it is
biggrin.gif

^
ikr, damn sexcee lookin'!!! Turned out much better than what i had thought it would esp. with some of the old designs that were throw around but THANK god they were thrown out. haha

Sfwalcer, that's a great idea with the godap. Am i right in assuming you're using a 30g to be able to do that? If so, its a shame that probably wouldn't be possible for a 60g.

^
I have bought the FiiO E17 twice and sold it off 2X cuz the amp section just didn't cut it for me. From experience the DAC section of the E17 is much more superior than the amp section because when use the E17 DAC hooked onto my Schiit Vail it drives my Martin Logan 90s with dynamic authority esp. with some bass boost on. Gives those cans much more weight and body to the leaner and transparent sound of the Logan 90s. But when i use it straight from the E17 using it's internal amp/dac it is very lackluster and "meh" sounding across the sonic spectrum. The amp section of the E17 really lacks some transparency, clarity, resolution/3Dness, and dynamics.

This is where that cheapo venturecraft go-dap amp comes in, cuz it hands down bests the E17s amp section on all those areas mentioned above. This cheapo $20 amp has amazing transparency, is really clean but without getting too analytical or lean so there is great body and weight to your tunes without it sounding overly thick/warm. My 4th gen ipod nano hooked onto that go-dac amp is my benchmark/ most valuable tool for all my gear testing needs. It is just kinda sucks that there seems to be some slight random single cut off noises when i use it with my ipod nanos (both 4th/5th gen nanos), but is dead quiet with my 30gb 5th ipod classic for some strange reason.

Oh it might work even with a fatter 60gb ipod classic if you get one of these 30 pin adapters. I got them on ebay from a seller in the Philippines for like $1 shipped to the States. LMAO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060HI2P2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

^
Too bad amazon seems to no longer carries those go-dap amps any more. Should have gotten a few extra sets for rainy days when they were on sale for $15 a few months back. LoL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back