The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Aug 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #7,411 of 7,793
No my charger doesn't not have the turbo function. It is LG charger but I guess tge charger is already damage since it charge very slowly even with my G3. Is it safe to use 5V 3.1A charger? I just ordered it from aliexpress for $0.97.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #7,412 of 7,793
No my charger doesn't not have the turbo function. It is LG charger but I guess tge charger is already damage since it charge very slowly even with my G3. Is it safe to use 5V 3.1A charger? I just ordered it from aliexpress for $0.97.

Well i can't tell you it's not safe, but personally i think 3.1A is too much. Sure is fast but it will heat up your battery a lot.
It's a simple trade-off between durability and charging time (of course if we raise the current too much it will fail at some point).
My limit is 2A but that's a mere opinion. In the X1 manual i don't think they state a limit. They mention to use a charger of 5V with 1A or above.
You can always test it with that charger and check its temperature regularly. Then you decide if it is too hot or not.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #7,413 of 7,793
A question if I may. I'm thinking of purchasing an X3 II in the near future. Can I simply take out the micro-SD card from my X1 and insert it into the X3 II without formatting it on the X3? I don't want to delete the files with a reformat you see. I'm guessing yes, but I want to confirm.

Many thanks!

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #7,414 of 7,793
  A question if I may. I'm thinking of purchasing an X3 II in the near future. Can I simply take out the micro-SD card from my X1 and insert it into the X3 II without formatting it on the X3? I don't want to delete the files with a reformat you see. I'm guessing yes, but I want to confirm.

Many thanks!

Yes you can.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #7,415 of 7,793

Many thanks!

dissembled, normally it can!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 2, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #7,416 of 7,793

It is definitely not safe. Any 3.1amp will definitely damage the X1(fiio recommend max 2amp& 5v). I don't think it is a good idea to cross that limit. I did use some sony 2.1amp &5v charger for some time, but that heat up the device too much.
Yes, I agree with pedronet, but IMO using some higher amp charger for test checking is not safe.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #7,418 of 7,793
It is definitely not safe. Any 3.1amp will definitely damage the X1(fiio recommend max 2amp& 5v). I don't think it is a good idea to cross that limit. I did use some sony 2.1amp &5v charger for some time, but that heat up the device too much.
Yes, I agree with 
pedronet, but IMO using some higher amp charger for test checking is not safe.

Yea, i wouldn't do it either, it seems too risky. Better play safe. :)

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #7,420 of 7,793
Yes, I agree with pedronet, but IMO using some higher amp charger for test checking is not safe.

Actually all modern devices will only draw as much power as they need.  A specification of 2 amps and 5 volts is the minimum you should use for a charger.  If the charger provides more then that the unit should only draw what it needs. I have used a 3.1 amp charger with my Sony A17 rated at 1 amp 5v for 2 years without a problem.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #7,421 of 7,793

Actually all modern devices will only draw as much power as they need.  A specification of 2 amps and 5 volts is the minimum you should use for a charger.  If the charger provides more then that the unit should only draw what it needs. I have used a 3.1 amp charger with my Sony A17 rated at 1 amp 5v for 2 years without a problem.

Yes but that's not true for all devices, they have to have a smart component that limits the actual consumption.
Also it doesn't seems to be that common. Take a smartphone for an example, they don't control the electric flow when charging, the power that you supply with your charger is what you get (although i don't know if they limit at some point, never tried it with such higher currents, can't assure you 100%).

I don't know if that's the case on the X1, though 
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #7,423 of 7,793

Yes but that's not true for all devices, they have to have a smart component that limits the actual consumption.
Also it doesn't seems to be that common. Take a smartphone for an example, they don't control the electric flow when charging, the power that you supply with your charger is what you get (although i don't know if they limit at some point, never tried it with such higher currents, can't assure you 100%).

I don't know if that's the case on the X1, though 
confused.gif

the "smart" component as far as I know is more about cutting the charge at a given moment to avoid charging the battery to the max and kill it sooner. or to "open" the circuit if the power supply is below a given value. or to avoid drawing too much if a given USB connection/output is detected. I have no idea how the X1 is made in that respect, I remember the X3 had a time limit for charging, even if the power supply was too low, and the charging not done, it would stop charging after 8hours or something like that.
for power, as long as the charger is around 5V(sometimes you get a few surprises with some noname products), the current will be limited by the impedance of the battery's circuit. the same way your PSU can be 800W in your computer and still feed the DVD player without blowing it up.  the same way the load of a headphone determines how much power will flow into it at a given voltage(where the voltage in this case is equal to loudness and changes with the volume setting).

now would the battery survive longer if it was charged with a little less, taking a little longer? I don't see why not. as long as you don't mind the charging time being obviously longer, FIIO suggested 1A or more. so maybe avoid going below 1A.
I use a 2A usb charger and it charges the X1 in about 3hours, charging from my laptop takes soooo long I just stopped doing it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #7,425 of 7,793

You are correct, but X1 gets too hot with higher amp charger. I don't know why, but 2amp charger goes very well without any heat up issues. I had this heating issues with Sony CP-AD2(2.1amp and 5v) charger. So, I asked the customer support(via email) and they referred me to use some lower amp charger like 2amp or below. So, I use some generic 2amp charger without any heating issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back