The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Aug 29, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,786 of 7,793

If you can EQ a sound to something else, then you can EQ back to neutral too
wink.gif

The point is, not many people like to EQ (like me). This is probably why some company go by trend in sound signature

Have Fiio explained why they choose their sound signature then, and what that is? Sorry if its something obvious, but I don't have much time to do lots of searching?

I've never heard of a music player manufacturer ever openly describing their players as having a certain sound, only detailing what EQ options there are.

Have you ever listen to either Fiio X3 or X5?
If you have not, try audition them first and you will get the idea of their sound characteristics.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,787 of 7,793
Have you ever listen to either Fiio X3 or X5?
If you have not, try audition them first and you will get the idea of their sound characteristics.

^ +1

But allow me to share my thoughts;

People who can afford the FiiO X5 often prefer something more on the neutral side and thus, it is the most neutral DAP in FiiO's line (but subject to other DAP brands)

The X1 is targeted at young audiophiles (such as, Students) who may not be able to afford expensive gears since they may not have a stable income source. IMO, most young people (including and excluding audiophiles) prefer slightly boosted bass. Therefore, I guess that's why FiiO made the X1 with such sound signature.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,788 of 7,793
^ +1

But allow me to share my thoughts;

People who can afford the FiiO X5 often prefer something more on the neutral side and thus, it is the most neutral DAP in FiiO's line (but subject to other DAP brands)

The X1 is targeted at young audiophiles (such as, Students) who may not be able to afford expensive gears since they may not have a stable income source. IMO, most young people (including and excluding audiophiles) prefer slightly boosted bass. Therefore, I guess that's why FiiO made the X1 with such sound signature.

Eh? Surely the headphone manufacturers who target young people are the ones who are boosting bass, along with the people who actually make the music themselves? I would guess that if you did a poll of people - young, middle aged or old, it wouldnt matter - virtually nobody would think that their music playing device had a sound of its own, before they add EQ, or their own headphones to it.

For the maker of a music player to do that would be very strange - unless they insist on only using the device with the supplied earphones. And in the case of the X1, I've been told that Fiio do not bundle any earphones with it.

And no, I havent auditioned any of the Fiio players yet. I live in London, UK - how can I do that? I am interested, but I havent got a clue how I could try these things out without buying them.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,789 of 7,793

And no, I havent auditioned any of the Fiio players yet. I live in London, UK - how can I do that? I am interested, but I havent got a clue how I could try these things out without buying them.

Sorry to hear that.
I thought there area few distributors for Fiio products in the UK?

During my uni days in the 90's, I used to take the tube from Barking to Tottenham Court Rd on some Saturdays to listen to some hifi products that I can't afford with my student grants.
Pity that you can't do the same on headfi products nowadays when they are more affordable

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,790 of 7,793

Sorry to hear that.
I thought there area few distributors for Fiio products in the UK?

During my uni days in the 90's, I used to take the tube from Barking to Tottenham Court Rd on some Saturdays to listen to some hifi products that I can't afford with my student grants.
Pity that you can't do the same on headfi products nowadays when they are more affordable

Tottenham Court Road is pretty good for testing headphone and smartphone tech, I agree, but only the well known brands. No Fiio anywhere, really.

If someone wants to send me some to try, feel free!

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,791 of 7,793

Not really. Some prefer bassy, some prefer bright, some prefer warm some prefer mid centric and a lot more. It is after all personal preference IMO

That's what hardware/software EQ or different headphones/earphones is for. Why would you want your stock source to be anything but as flat as possible? Otherwise, you're really restricting your options. How strange.

Everything seems to be strange for you Hungryhoss ! the X1 is neither bright nor bassy, it's sounds very neutral, thick and warm, I don't recommend bassy and warm headphones as you gonna trigger the EQ to compensate the lack of treble. The X1 sounds like the X3 and X5 with typical FiiO sound signature , it's opposite to the Hisound Studio V 3rd Anv which has a very bright sound sig

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,792 of 7,793
Everything seems to be strange for you Hungryhoss ! the X1 is neither bright nor bassy, it's sounds very neutral, thick and warm, I don't recommend bassy and warm headphones as you gonna trigger the EQ to compensate the lack of treble. The X1 sounds like the X3 and X5 with typical FiiO sound signature , it's opposite to the Hisound Studio V 3rd Anv which has a very bright sound sig

Sorry, but you're not selling it to me at all. Why would I want a thick and warm sounding player? That's not my idea of 'very neutral' either.

I am now more confused than before.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,793 of 7,793

Sorry, but you're not selling it to me at all. Why would I want a thick and warm sounding player? That's not my idea of 'very neutral' either.

I am now more confused than before.

Then don't buy it.  We have already gone through this in this thread numerous times!  Go troll another thread please :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,794 of 7,793
@ Hungryhoss

To answer your previous question: FiiO chooses a thicker, warmer sound for the lower end FiiO DAP is because they found that that is the sound signature the average consumer will most prefer, as opposite to a analytical and leaner sound which appeal more to audiophiles.

Now before everyone confuses - the 'warm and thick' sound of the X1 doesn't in anyway mean the frequency response is not flat. In fact, it is as flat as X3 and X5. The warmth and thickness come from having more texture in tone.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,796 of 7,793
@ Hungryhoss

To answer your previous question: FiiO chooses a thicker, warmer sound for the lower end FiiO DAP is because they found that that is the sound signature the average consumer will most prefer, as opposite to a analytical and leaner sound which appeal more to audiophiles.

Now before everyone confuses - the 'warm and thick' sound of the X1 doesn't in anyway mean the frequency response is not flat. In fact, it is as flat as X3 and X5. The warmth and thickness come from having more texture in tone.

Thanks for the clarification.

So this is not an audiophile player as such, but rather geared at the consumer market? Interesting. I wonder how that will fly, what with most consumers perfectly happy to use smartphones these days.

Aside from marketing angles, what is your own impression of the X1 vs current iOS and Android smartphones for music playing? I'm not concerned about hi-res at all, since that is just pseudo-science nonsense, but rather what 16/44 sounds like, on stock playback at volume matched levels. Can you point me to comparisons, if such have been made?

I realise the cost differential is quite large between the X1 and, say, an iPhone 5, but as most smartphones are sold with contracts on a discounted monthly rate over 2 years, this means the appeal of a standalone music player is diminished when you can get an all-singing-all-dancing device that you pay for over a long period of time.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,797 of 7,793
I don't want to make this seem too simplistic, but just go out and buy one when it becomes available. If you don't like it, return it and move on. Over-analyzing it now is analysis paralysis. Getting feedback from others is great, but only you can tell if you like it. For $100, this is not too much of an investment to try it out...

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,799 of 7,793
  may i request side by side shots of the X1 with either a dx50, zip or fuze? :)

Sorry about the picture quality, but here it is:

Thanks for the clarification.

I own a Xperia Z2, but I don't actually use smartphone much for music, except when using it with Bluetooth headset during commuting.. Otherwise I prefer to listen to music on DAP and I am old school that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back