The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Aug 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,802 of 7,793
This discussion has me a bit confused. Does this unit sound the same as the x3 or not?

The same as X3? Of course not.

Does it share similar warm sound signature as X3 or not? Yes.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,803 of 7,793

Everything seems to be strange for you Hungryhoss ! the X1 is neither bright nor bassy, it's sounds very neutral, thick and warm, I don't recommend bassy and warm headphones as you gonna trigger the EQ to compensate the lack of treble. The X1 sounds like the X3 and X5 with typical FiiO sound signature , it's opposite to the Hisound Studio V 3rd Anv which has a very bright sound sig

Sorry, but you're not selling it to me at all. Why would I want a thick and warm sounding player? That's not my idea of 'very neutral' either.

I am now more confused than before.

I'm not trying to sell it to you, that's my honest opinion about how my ears perceive the SQ of the X1

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,804 of 7,793
But if they wanted to aim it at a consumer market, why not make it sound like the iPhone? Or is it that the IPhone doesn't really have a sound and is actually quite neutral? I have read that the new gen of idevices measure really well. And with iPhone 6 around the corner, what USP does the X1 offer that will entice a 'young' (whatever that means) person to the X1 over a decent smartphone that not only plays music well but also let's you do all that social networking stuff?

How many of you head-fiers are young? If you ask me, it's not the kids who will buy these single use pieces of tech but rather the older crowd who might be a bit, um, scared by the modern world and all its moving parts.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,805 of 7,793
  It still has the Fiio house sound, albeit slightly less warmer than it's 2 bigger brothers.

I'm a bit confused by the early reviews myself.  Some (like akhyar) say the X1 is slightly LESS warm than X3 and X5, while others report that it's slightly warmer.  I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if those conflicting reports can be reconciled somehow. 

Also, can anyone report on whether gapless playback is working correctly on the X1? 

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,806 of 7,793

@ Hungryhoss

To answer your previous question: FiiO chooses a thicker, warmer sound for the lower end FiiO DAP is because they found that that is the sound signature the average consumer will most prefer, as opposite to a analytical and leaner sound which appeal more to audiophiles.

Now before everyone confuses - the 'warm and thick' sound of the X1 doesn't in anyway mean the frequency response is not flat. In fact, it is as flat as X3 and X5. The warmth and thickness come from having more texture in tone.

Thanks for the clarification.

So this is not an audiophile player as such, but rather geared at the consumer market? Interesting. I wonder how that will fly, what with most consumers perfectly happy to use smartphones these days.

Aside from marketing angles, what is your own impression of the X1 vs current iOS and Android smartphones for music playing? I'm not concerned about hi-res at all, since that is just pseudo-science nonsense, but rather what 16/44 sounds like, on stock playback at volume matched levels. Can you point me to comparisons, if such have been made?

I realise the cost differential is quite large between the X1 and, say, an iPhone 5, but as most smartphones are sold with contracts on a discounted monthly rate over 2 years, this means the appeal of a standalone music player is diminished when you can get an all-singing-all-dancing device that you pay for over a long period of time.

1. The X1 is surely the best high resolution music player at $100, you won't get 24/192 on any dap below $199 (FiiO X3)
2. It has been made to target teenagers and audiophile starters, it's not really a dap for '' headphoneus supremus '' audiophiles that needs more than just a good SQ
3. The sound quality is far better than the best ipod / iphone release on the market, if you auditioned an iphone and love the SQ, then you'll adore the X1, don't get fool with bright, warm, thick or whatever, keep in mind that you're buying a $100 dap, don't expect it to sound like an AK240 ($2500), IMHO it sounds better than most sub $300 daps
4. give it a listen and if you feel that the X1 is not for you, just don't buy it !

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,808 of 7,793
I leave a ipod video in the car now at all times. I ordered a second ipod video unit experiment with. Well purchased used on ebay.

I intend to mod rthe unit to 240gb

My favorite audio toy however is my x3. I might buy a x1 for knock around usage also. A great deal at the price point and likely to hold value in terms of ebay. I look at my electronic toys like cars. There is a purchase price and a resale price. Too bad microsdxc card top out at 128gb so far

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,809 of 7,793
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has played with the line out settings in the X1? Is the headphone volume setting remembered when you go to 'line out mode' and restored when you go back to 'headphone' mode?

Cheers

Locksbury

P.S.: For my 2p worth, audio is always a subjective thing, so if in doubt try it and see if it suits you. I'll probably end up buying the X1 over the X3 as the situations I'll be using it in won't allow me to truly enjoy hi-fi/head-fi quality anyway. That's what the cans and amp at home is for. :) Peace.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,810 of 7,793
Yeah, I'd pretty much just swap out the battery and replace the HD with a 240g msata on the iPod and use it as a car jukebox, too. Either that, or maybe use the X3 for the role.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,811 of 7,793
And I'm just sitting here debating modding my iPod video
smily_headphones1.gif

I meant commercial ipods on stock firmwares and without modding ! I'm sure that special moddings (Rockbox, Red Wine etc ) will improve everything in the sound department
biggrin.gif
, that would be interesting to compare with the X1 once modded. I'm waiting for your kind impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,812 of 7,793
Hehe, I'm not capable of the more intensive mods, but I should look into finding someone who is and is willing to make a little money.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,813 of 7,793
  Hi

Just wondered if anyone has played with the line out settings in the X1? Is the headphone volume setting remembered when you go to 'line out mode' and restored when you go back to 'headphone' mode?

Cheers

Locksbury

P.S.: For my 2p worth, audio is always a subjective thing, so if in doubt try it and see if it suits you. I'll probably end up buying the X1 over the X3 as the situations I'll be using it in won't allow me to truly enjoy hi-fi/head-fi quality anyway. That's what the cans and amp at home is for. :) Peace.

Within my review, yes the volume setting is remembrered and restored when you get back to HO !

Additionally, I used the line out with various setups from portable (FiiO E17, ADL X1) to desktop (Bose Companion 5, Yamaha desktop amp with B&W speakers, Sony hifi system, Pioneer car audio system), the line out on the X1 is very interesting as the sound seems to be less warm with more clarity and details.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,814 of 7,793
But if they wanted to aim it at a consumer market, why not make it sound like the iPhone? Or is it that the IPhone doesn't really have a sound and is actually quite neutral? I have read that the new gen of idevices measure really well. And with iPhone 6 around the corner, what USP does the X1 offer that will entice a 'young' (whatever that means) person to the X1 over a decent smartphone that not only plays music well but also let's you do all that social networking stuff?

How many of you head-fiers are young? If you ask me, it's not the kids who will buy these single use pieces of tech but rather the older crowd who might be a bit, um, scared by the modern world and all its moving parts.

I'm 15vyears old. I own 3 iPod minis, upgraded 1 with new battery and 16gb sd. Own an ipod nano 4thbgen and owned a 3rd Gen Nano. I plan to buy an ipod 4th gen and maybe a 5th gen, and the X1. I owned the Nano since 2008, and got the mini a few weeks ago. Most people don't mind smartphones. MOST. I prefer to save my battery with a DAP.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,815 of 7,793
You are being rather insulting.

For the record, I am very positive about my HTC one m8 and the Apple Earpods I am now using with it. I usually have a smile on face when music goes through them into my ears.

Like I say, if I can try an X1 I will, and I will be honest in my comments about it. What more can one do?

HTC one, apple earpods :rolleyes:

If you feel that's what you like then feel free to stick with it.

There's questions, and then there's pointless ones. Especially when someone tells you why the X1 is being built like so and you immediately ask why we don't all just use our phones.

Simple answer: because the amp section in most phones suck. Fancy marketing and adding "beats" to everything doesn't automatically make it sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back