The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Jan 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #961 of 1,083
@Flobert
Try all possible USB ports on your machine. Some PCs have incredibly noisy USB. If that doesn't help I'd suggest an active USB hub. 

@Selbi
EQing on the DAC-level is apparently the best way to do it because the DAC can work directly on the raw data. 
I didn't use the bass boost the first couple of months either but after trying it for a few days there was no going back. Light-on-bass AKG K702 headphones here so the little boost is actually making them sound way more fun, just like in your case. :wink:

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #962 of 1,083
In general I don't use bass boost so I can't offer an opinion, sorry. The headphones I use have plenty of bass so boosting would actually make the sound worse.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #963 of 1,083
What's your opinion of the bass boost of this device? Honestly, for the first two or so months that I've owned this device I was strictly against it due to all the fake coloring, but eventually I've realized it's just way more fun with it enabled. I've tried playing around with EQ's, but I can't really seem to recreate the bass response that the E10K is adding.

honestly I always tought that I should enjoy and experience the music as it was meant to be, not with a little bass boost and never ever even turned it on 

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #964 of 1,083
What's your opinion of the bass boost of this device? Honestly, for the first two or so months that I've owned this device I was strictly against it due to all the fake coloring, but eventually I've realized it's just way more fun with it enabled. I've tried playing around with EQ's, but I can't really seem to recreate the bass response that the E10K is adding.

I had it on more often than not when I had my E10K.  Particularly with bass-light headphones like the HD598 it can certainly add to the enjoyment.  IIRC it adds 5-6db to the bass region.

Don't feel guilty or some such for having it on.  If you think it sounds better, use it
normal_smile .gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #967 of 1,083
I've bought one of these to connect the E10K to my phone using a standard micro USB cable. Doesn't work. Was I stupid to assume this would work? And if so, why?
redface.gif

According to this website, it could have to do with my device limiting voltage output or something, but I don't know if that really is the problem.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #968 of 1,083
  I've bought one of these to connect the E10K to my phone using a standard micro USB cable. Doesn't work. Was I stupid to assume this would work? And if so, why?
redface.gif

According to this website, it could have to do with my device limiting voltage output or something, but I don't know if that really is the problem.

Seems like you have all the information already :).  Some phones will allow you to run higher powered USB devices, some require a battery pack inbetween or a powered USB hub.  Another important thing to remember would be that, even if it did work, it would drain your phone's battery very quickly.

What's the phone in question?

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #970 of 1,083

A china import phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

Just having a quick look around there aren't too many people who have gotten the E10K to work OTG vanilla style without a battery.  I know in some custom Android ROMs you can 'overclock' the USB port to output more power than normal.  Galaxy Note 7 method :wink:

So the options seem to be buy a OTG splitter cable and external battery (still not 100% guaranteed to work) or buy a different AMP/DAC which has an internal battery.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #971 of 1,083
So I was using my onboard for some time (with e10k disconnected) for a week or two and reinstalled windows 10 inbetween that time.

Now I came back to e10k and it's not playing anything on 24 bit windows setting. It just says throws failed error when I try to play windows audio test. On 16bit all rates work ok.
Reinstalling and changing to other usb 2.0 ports did not helped. But it works fine on usb 3.0 !!!

I know there is no point in using 24bit anyway since there is no difference in music and games at all so I want to use 16bit 48 anyway but now that I think of it, Is there any performance difference in using it with usb 3 or 2.0 ports with default windows drivers? I don't like using fiio drivers

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #972 of 1,083
  So I was using my onboard for some time (with e10k disconnected) for a week or two and reinstalled windows 10 inbetween that time.

Now I came back to e10k and it's not playing anything on 24 bit windows setting. It just says throws failed error when I try to play windows audio test. On 16bit all rates work ok.
Reinstalling and changing to other usb 2.0 ports did not helped. But it works fine on usb 3.0 !!!

I know there is no point in using 24bit anyway since there is no difference in music and games at all so I want to use 16bit 48 anyway but now that I think of it, Is there any performance difference in using it with usb 3 or 2.0 ports with default windows drivers? I don't like using fiio drivers

Dear HiCZoK,

What's the player you are using? And the settings are all correct, right? Do you have another computers for testing ?

Best regards 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #973 of 1,083
It's just winamp but that don't matter.
Everything works fine on usb 3.0 ports or on other computer (laptop)

It's just that no sound is playing(not even attempting to play) on 24bit on usb 2.0 (in player or in windows)

I am sure it's not device fault but something with my pc. I am using it on 16bit 48khz and it works very fine. It is just curious why.
Probably I just need to reinstall windows 10 again ...

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #975 of 1,083
Does 3 step jack plugs (longer 3.5mm plug for headphones with microphone) works on e10k ? 
I wanted to buy skullcandy grind or something to replace portapro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back