The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Oct 2, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #946 of 1,083
Hi,

My FiiO E10K is only able to output sound to the left side, be it on my desktop or laptop. 

My laptop:
Windows 10 (Pre-Anniversary update)

My desktop:
Windows 10 (Anniversary update)

Unsuccessful things I've tried so far:

1. Using both my headphones and speaker to test, but with the same issue

2. Uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers from http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/30

3. Installing the drivers in compatibility mode for both Windows 7 and 8

4. Using different USB ports on my desktop 

5. Under "Playback Devices", the E10K is selected as default device 

Successful things I've tried so far:

1. Using a laptop running Windows 7, sound is able to output to both left and right channels

2. Using a laptop running Windows 8, sound is able to output to both left and right channels

I've brought it back to the distributor (Eng Siang International, Singapore) and the results were fruitless. Their technician was able to get both L and R sides to output sound on his Windows 7 laptop. As far as they are concerned, they have not sold me a defective product.

The strangest thing is I was able to get both L and R sound for exactly five days before the R channel totally gave up.

Experts, kindly advise!

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #947 of 1,083
@dirtyfeathers Let me suggest the obvious here and ask if you have double checked the Sound->Playback->Properties->Levels->Balance setting (at least that's where it is in Win8.1).  If both L and R are set to 100% then it certainly sounds like a driver problem.

If the above is fruitless, can you specifiy exactly what "the drivers" means in your case?  I would recommend completely avoiding any ASIO driver.  I always had the best success letting Windows use its generic drivers.

Let us know how you get along.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #948 of 1,083
  @dirtyfeathers Let me suggest the obvious here and ask if you have double checked the Sound->Playback->Properties->Levels->Balance setting (at least that's where it is in Win8.1).  If both L and R are set to 100% then it certainly sounds like a driver problem.

If the above is fruitless, can you specifiy exactly what "the drivers" means in your case?  I would recommend completely avoiding any ASIO driver.  I always had the best success letting Windows using it's generic drivers.

Let us know how you get along.

Yes, balance is set to 100%.

The drivers I installed were the official ones direct from FiiO's website in point #2. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #949 of 1,083

Yes, balance is set to 100%.

The drivers I installed were the official ones direct from FiiO's website in point #2. 

This sub-balance option, right?

Were you using the same USB cable on the other laptops?  Faulty USB cable, perhaps?  I'm plucking at straws here. 
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #950 of 1,083
redface.gif
Quote:

This sub-balance option, right?

Were you using the same USB cable on the other laptops?  Faulty USB cable, perhaps?  I'm plucking at straws here. 
tongue.gif

Yes, you and I were referring to the same balance 
smile.gif

It can't be a faulty USB cable because I used the same one that was provided in the box for all my tests, both the successful and unsuccessful ones.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #951 of 1,083

Yes, you and I were referring to the same balance 
smile.gif

It can't be a faulty USB cable because I used the same one that was provided in the box for all my tests, both the successful and unsuccessful ones.

Sorry I can't offer any more suggestions.  I see from another forum that you're awaiting an email directly from FiiO - let us know their words of wisdom.

If our conversation has taught me anything though, it's for me to never ever "update" to Windows 10. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #952 of 1,083

Sorry I can't offer any more suggestions.  I see from another forum that you're awaiting an email directly from FiiO - let us know their words of wisdom.

If our conversation has taught me anything though, it's for me to never ever "update" to Windows 10. 
biggrin.gif

Hahaha ya! That was my post in a local forum from my country. Thanks for at least doing the research though, cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #953 of 1,083
I received my e10K last night, (after returning my SB G5) I must say its pretty awesome, using it with some AD700x cans .. I was a little skeptical at first reading some reviews about it not being so great for gaming, but its actually much better then the new G5. 

My question is what is the impedance range between hi and low gain? .. cant seem to find that

The bass boost is just right for me, its nothing crazy for those who love them some bass... but dont use it for gaming its drowns out footsteps.  

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #954 of 1,083
  I received my e10K last night, (after returning my SB G5) I must say its pretty awesome, using it with some AD700x cans .. I was a little skeptical at first reading some reviews about it not being so great for gaming, but its actually much better then the new G5. 

My question is what is the impedance range between hi and low gain? .. cant seem to find that

The bass boost is just right for me, its nothing crazy for those who love them some bass... but dont use it for gaming its drowns out footsteps.  

As I understand it gain has nothing to do with headphone impedance but rather amplifying the incoming signal.  In the case of the E10K 'low' is x1 (0db) and 'high' is x9 (18db).  If the AD700x are 38ohm then you'll almost certainly want the low gain setting.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #955 of 1,083
As I understand it gain has nothing to do with headphone impedance but rather amplifying the incoming signal.  In the case of the E10K 'low' is x1 (0db) and 'high' is x9 (18db).  If the AD700x are 38ohm then you'll almost certainly want the low gain setting.

When I looked at the specs of the G5 is said low was up to 150 ohm and high was anything over that.. just figured the fiio works the same way

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #958 of 1,083
I just started using the E10K as I had one that I forgot about and for testing it is convenient. Does anybody else find it a little loose in the bass, and also fairly bassy? I have it in low gain and with bass boost off driving a 16ohm, high sensitivity ONKYO H900M. Just curious what others find about it. Older thread to resurrect I know.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #959 of 1,083
I have bought a E10K for my computer. I have connected a pair JBL 305 to it and i have some problems with noise inteference.
In games or when my CPU load is high, the noise is louder. I'm sure it comes over the USB port.
What can i do to reduce the noise?

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #960 of 1,083
What's your opinion of the bass boost of this device? Honestly, for the first two or so months that I've owned this device I was strictly against it due to all the fake coloring, but eventually I've realized it's just way more fun with it enabled. I've tried playing around with EQ's, but I can't really seem to recreate the bass response that the E10K is adding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back