The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #886 of 1,083
  For me it's happening on desktop pc with windows 10.
And I even have e10k connected to pci usb card! But it happens so rarely that it might be jsut something with usb boot.

Also, for headphones like koss porta pro, should the bass boost be on or off?

I am not sure if bass boost on is adding bass or is it a normal level and bass boost off reduces it.
Can boosting bass via e10k(if thats what it does), can add disortion?

There is no "should", simply what you prefer.

Bass boost OFF will attempt to output a flat frequency reponse; bass boost ON will, by definition, distort the sound.  I am also pretty sure it introduces clipping, but I don't have the means to measure it objectively.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #887 of 1,083

There is no "should", simply what you prefer.

Bass boost OFF will attempt to output a flat frequency reponse; bass boost ON will, by definition, distort the sound.  I am also pretty sure it introduces clipping, but I don't have the means to measure it objectively.

Thanks
I see... so bass boost off gives me "real" sound without any moderation to headphones.

What do YOu mean by clipping ?

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #888 of 1,083
  Thanks
I see... so bass boost off gives me "real" sound without any moderation to headphones.

What do YOu mean by clipping ?

I'm pretty terribly at explaining things I don't fully understand, so I'll just be lazy and link to Wikipedia :p - Clipping.

If you've ever heard something with dynamic range compression or "volume normalization", it sounds like that.  You can introduce quite obvious clipping with EQing if you forget to preamp.  But, again, it may be my imagination and, even if it does happen with the bass boost feature on the E10K, it is to quite a small degree.

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #890 of 1,083
  For me it's happening on desktop pc with windows 10.
And I even have e10k connected to pci usb card! But it happens so rarely that it might be jsut something with usb boot.

Also, for headphones like koss porta pro, should the bass boost be on or off?

I am not sure if bass boost on is adding bass or is it a normal level and bass boost off reduces it.
Can boosting bass via e10k(if thats what it does), can add disortion?

I use Windows 7 with my Sony laptop. Don't like anything after that. It also only happens once in a while. My headphones are Sennheiser  HD 598

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #893 of 1,083
Can anyone help. When I jump from video to video on YT I need to unplug the e10k as it gets a static sound. Once re-plugged it then works. I'm starting to get it in between songs now on VLC media player every now and then.

ALSO... I find the e10k quite neutral even with my Fiioe EX1/Dunu Titans which have a V Shaped warm signature. Doesn't bother me too much as I have the Fiio X1 which is warmer sounding. My question? Is there a warmer sounding DAC in the same price range? I was looking at the Topping brand.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #894 of 1,083

Can anyone help. When I jump from video to video on YT I need to unplug the e10k as it gets a static sound. Once re-plugged it then works. I'm starting to get it in between songs now on VLC media player every now and then.

ALSO... I find the e10k quite neutral even with my Fiioe EX1/Dunu Titans which have a V Shaped warm signature. Doesn't bother me too much as I have the Fiio X1 which is warmer sounding. My question? Is there a warmer sounding DAC in the same price range? I was looking at the Topping brand.

Which version of Windows do you use?
I've had some problems while using Windows 10 (upgraded directly from Windows 8.1). But after that, I did a fresh Windows 10 install and everything is fine without any technical issues.

Try installing the E10k's ASIO driver would improve the sound quality. Don't bother to use ASIO output, just install the driver and set the sample rate at maximum. 
There is a down-side of using ASIO driver: Some people mentioned BSOD in the earlier posts caused by the ASIO driver, I hope FiiO's gonna fix this problem soon.

I'm testing the ASIO driver with my new "Fresh Windows 10" now, I'll report back if it's gonna have problems or not.

May 11, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #896 of 1,083
Hello guys,
I wonder if someone can help me.
I have Fiio E10K and I will soon buy myself beyerdynamics DT 770 250 ohm and want to get new amplifier also.
Now, my question is, can I still use Fiio E10K as a DAC with my new amplifier, and how to do that? What cable do I need to buy if that's possible? Can I go line out/ coax out to 2x RCA ?
My new amp will be Magni 2.
Tnx.

May 11, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #897 of 1,083
  Hello guys,
Can someone help me. I have Fiio E10K and I will soon buy myself beyerdynamics DT 770 ohm and want to get new amplifier also.
Now, my question is, can I still use Fiio E10K as a DAC with my new amplifier, and how to do that? What cable do I need to buy if that's possible? Can I go line out/ coax out to 2x RCA ?
Tnx.

Yes, the line out isn't touched by the E10K's amp.  I used to have me E10K's line out running to a lepai amp for my speakers and it worked perfectly.

May 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #898 of 1,083
  Recently got the Fiio e10k. Disappointed, sounds way too harsh on my Grado sr803s and Senn HD25ii's. The GAIN switch is great at first, but makes everything sounds far too neutral and boring. It's better than my Realtek on-board sound so not a total loss. The little Topping NX2 i have is way better IMO. The bass boost is okay and some headphones may benefit from it... my Grado Sr80es did as they are renowned for poor bass, it was just a shame it was the only area the e10k made a positive difference with.

I have the Fiio X1 DAP which is great so I may try Fiio again in the future for my sound needs.

Yeah, that's my verdict too. The e10k is extremely boring. It zaps the life out of every song i play through it. Buying a Dragonfly V1.2 to see how that does, reviews are all positive

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #899 of 1,083
  Hello guys,
I wonder if someone can help me.
I have Fiio E10K and I will soon buy myself beyerdynamics DT 770 250 ohm and want to get new amplifier also.
Tnx.

Yes, the line out isn't touched by the E10K's amp.  I used to have me E10K's line out running to a lepai amp for my speakers and it worked perfectly.

I agree with xfloggingkylex.
I used my E10K as source for Vali and Magni2U before buying a Modi2U.
It works fine :)

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #900 of 1,083
I got mine replaced under warranty.

Seems there has been a design change somewhere along the way. My old one did not have a volume switch with an off position. Also the latest packs even more power. My old unit I had on volume 5, this one never gets beyond 3 and that's with my DT770 250 ohm. And no, gain isnt switched on.

Also, for those with Windows 7 (and possibly other versions as well) if you occasionally get really bad distorted sound you might want to try set these two to off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back