The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Feb 9, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #872 of 1,083
Anyone disassembled one of those things ?
I am getting annoyed by the brightness of blue LED. Its too bright at night. Any way to dim it (like painting it with black marker or taping it)

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #873 of 1,083
I am getting annoyed by the brightness of blue LED. Its too bright at night. Any way to dim it (like painting it with black marker or taping it)

I'm particularly perturbed by bright LEDs.  I have mine behind a closed cupboard door where my PC is located, but if I didn't I would definitely put some black electrical tape over it.  This chap had a different solution.  Not worth the risk of disassembling it IMO.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #874 of 1,083
A black Sharpie marker worked for me.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #875 of 1,083
Mine seems to have developed an issue with the volume control pot. Lost the entire right channel and had to jiggle it a bit. Contacted the dealer and he said he'd be happy to exchange it but he's totally out and doesn't expect the next shipment until mid-march.

So possibly a supply issue.

As to hearing differences. When I bought mine I also listened to the E17 and found a small difference in detail and clarity in favour of the E10k.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #876 of 1,083
I think I never posted this here.  Anyone who wants to emulate the bass boost feature of the E10K, check this post.  I created it specifically for the HD598 but followed the E10K chart as faithfully as possible.

This little guy really is super versatile.  I currently have it powering my HD700 and it does a great job.  I almost expected a blackhole to open up when I plugged them in but nope, just clean, detailed sound.  Not saying it's a perfect pairing, but more than capable of powering them to a deafening volume.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #877 of 1,083

I tried to disassemble mine. However, i did not want to pry to hard on the volume knob. I enjoy it every single day so i don´t want to damage it. If it´s glued on there might be an issue but if it´s just pressed as on many other devices it´s just a matter of bravery. I want to give it a White LED and White paint to match my desktop setup. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #878 of 1,083
I've been using E10K for a week new and I am both positively and negatively surprised by the sound quality.

I am using it's line out connected to Meier Audio Corda Aria, driving Beyerdynamic DT150 or KRK KNS8400 headphones.

At first I though there was an improvement in sound quality over the TI PCM2704 USB DAC built-in to Aria,
but I did a double blind test and the result was that I was just guessing between the sources.

I really hoped for an improvement and was thus disappointed, though the sound is still very good.
I guess I did not appreciate what I had:)

Then I wanted to justify selling the E10k and plugged in my DT150 directly to headphone out
I though Aria has more power so it makes more sense to keep it.
I compared E10K a bit with Aria and guess what - there was no difference to my ears too.

So in the end I will just sell the Aria and keep the E10k.

In the end, I'm positively surprised that E10k is not worse than $450 desktop amplifier with USB DAC
and has enough power to drive 250 Ohm headphones with ease (DT150 were loud on low gain and the volume knob between 1 and 2).
It is also much more versatile, i particularly like the small size and the bass boost for the KNS8400.
It also has line out to stereo jack, which my Aria does not have, so I won't be searching for a DAC if I one day buy a stereo loudspeaker system.

I highly recommend E10k to anyone looking for a good sounding and portable DAC/AMP combo.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #879 of 1,083
Although I am returning my E10K, I would highly recommend it unless you are looking for virtual headphone surround with PC. Sound quality wise it wasn't a massive step up from my motherboard (MSI Gaming 5 with Realtek ALC1150) but the amp was a day and night difference even though the motherboard is supposed to support up to 600 ohm headphones).

However, if looking for virtual surround through headphones the only simple option is Razer Surround. I had previously thought this software was reasonable; not as good as Dolby or SBX but close enough. However, on a decent DAC/Amp you could more easily hear the difference between them.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #880 of 1,083
Recently got the Fiio e10k. Disappointed, sounds way too harsh on my Grado sr803s and Senn HD25ii's. The GAIN switch is great at first, but makes everything sounds far too neutral and boring. It's better than my Realtek on-board sound so not a total loss. The little Topping NX2 i have is way better IMO. The bass boost is okay and some headphones may benefit from it... my Grado Sr80es did as they are renowned for poor bass, it was just a shame it was the only area the e10k made a positive difference with.

I have the Fiio X1 DAP which is great so I may try Fiio again in the future for my sound needs.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #881 of 1,083
Hello,

I wat to change my Fiio Q1 with E10K, i m not a fan of portable devices, i using most of time at house with my AT M50X. 
Anyone comparing the sound of them? For me, the sound quality is the most important than the portability.

Thanks and escuse my english!

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #882 of 1,083
  Hello,

I wat to change my Fiio Q1 with E10K, i m not a fan of portable devices, i using most of time at house with my AT M50X. 
Anyone comparing the sound of them? For me, the sound quality is the most important than the portability.

Thanks and escuse my english!

I got the E10k (Olympus 2) myself instead of the Q1 because of the sound comparaison here = 

I find Fiio’s E10(K) to have more detail, clarity and depth. And it sound even more musical with far better layering. Do note the older E10 has a warmer signature than the newer E10K/Q1. I know the E10K isn’t as portable as the Q1 one is but the sound quality is significantly better. I still think the E10(K) is one of the best units Fiio ever made.

Source: http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-q1-the-entry-dacamp/2/

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #885 of 1,083
For me it's happening on desktop pc with windows 10.
And I even have e10k connected to pci usb card! But it happens so rarely that it might be jsut something with usb boot.

Also, for headphones like koss porta pro, should the bass boost be on or off?

I am not sure if bass boost on is adding bass or is it a normal level and bass boost off reduces it.
Can boosting bass via e10k(if thats what it does), can add disortion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back