The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Jun 4, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #901 of 1,083
Maybe I'm just overthinking but the other day I accidentally turned up the volume all the way on both my Fiio E10K and the PC and played a file through my MSR7 without knowing. I though there was somewhat of a channel imbalance on my MSR7 after that, but now I tried the IM70 and M50x and they too have it -_-... There's little/no channel imbalance on my phone. Has anyone else noticed channel imbalance even at higher volumes?

For a long time I used to turn up the E10K to max volume and leave PC volume low but then I read how that introduces more distortion, but if I do it the other way around I feel like there's even more channel imbalance and I can't adjust the volume as precisely...

I'm using a short WD hard drive cable right now as the stock cable is too long and I don't know where I put it now. I'm not really sure if changing cables would fix it but I remember using an HTC charging cable and there was a lot more hissing.

One more question, is there a possible way to record stereo mix from the Fiio E10K? Currently I have to output to my Realtek drivers and play my laptop speakers to record stereo mix, because my laptop headphone jack is broken

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #902 of 1,083
You shouldn't be really using 7/8 or 8/8 (not healthy for the amp), but I've tried it on low gain before for the sake of testing and it sounded fine. Only 0.5/8 and below gets channel imbalance.

Try using max OS volume and control via the E10K dial. I don't think AT headphones (probably bar the R70x, but never tried it at home) really need more than 1 or 2 on low gain. I've used the M50, AD700, AD900X, CKM99 and WS99 on my E10K.

Also, assuming you're on Windows, check if the there's a channel imbalance in the settings. I remember when I was using OS volume controls that it sometimes go out of sync and go like 18/20 on the L/R balance.

Speaker icon -> Playback devices -> Properties [on the E10K] -> Levels tab -> Balance

If the problem persists, you may have damaged your E10K.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #903 of 1,083
For a long time I used to turn up the E10K to max volume and leave PC volume low but then I read how that introduces more distortion, but if I do it the other way around I feel like there's even more channel imbalance and I can't adjust the volume as precisely...

I think as with many things in life, moderation is the key here :tongue_smile:

Try middle settings for both the system volume and the E10K volume. :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #904 of 1,083
Hate to say, but i just bought the tiny Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS for £49 and it has really opened my eyes to how poor the e10k is. I'm starting to regret sending back my Dunu Dn2000s and Mee Pinnacle 1 IEMs and Soundmagic hp150s. i thought each of them sounded too warm and smooth and couldn't hear all that detail other's where hearing. If only I'd waited :frowning2:

Although the e10k can throw a decent amount of volume out it totally lacks the refinement and class this little DAC does. The Dacmagic has an airiness, detail and resolution the e10k totally lacks. It shows how congested and meaty... and boring the Fiio DAC is. I'm hearing treble and highs the way they should for the first time and it has made certain IEMs really come alive. The DM has fantastic sub bass, doesn't need the bloaty warm bass boost the e10k does, nor the gain switch.

It's meant to have been a direct competitor of the Dragonfly, but only £49. If you want to upgrade for a small price... try the CA Dacmagic XS.

I'm really enjoying hearing my Dunu Titan 1s in a whole new light. Same with my HD25iis.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #905 of 1,083
  Hate to say, but i just bought the tiny Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS for £49 and it has really opened my eyes to how poor the e10k is.

A bold statement.

But are you sure it's the DAC and not the amp that you're hearing? I think the E10K as a combo is fine and is what a flat source should sound. I only really use the E10K + O2 for the technical superiority and slightly less noise floor.

Are your tests volume matched?

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #906 of 1,083

A bold statement.

But are you sure it's the DAC and not the amp that you're hearing? I think the E10K as a combo is fine and is what a flat source should sound. I only really use the E10K + O2 for the technical superiority and slightly less noise floor.

Are your tests volume matched?

How is the E10K's amp compared to O2 amp?

I've heard many praises about E10k's DAC. I'm planning to hook up E10k to a better amp (O2/Magni 2/...) to drive high impedance headphones.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #907 of 1,083
  How is the E10K's amp compared to O2 amp?

I've heard many praises about E10k's DAC. I'm planning to hook up E10k to a better amp (O2/Magni 2/...) to drive high impedance headphones.

Comparing E10K's amp to my magni2u, it sounds congested, "on your face" sounded, less spatial, less defined. It does sound more punchy, though.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #908 of 1,083
Hi all! Thinking of picking up one of these for my desktop, I don't know much about audiophile equipment but I have purchased other Fiio products and have been quite happy with them. Is this good for a first time buy? I like the price point of it and would prefer to stay in this range. Any other suggestions or will I be happy with this little guy? Thanks in advance.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #909 of 1,083
  Hi all! Thinking of picking up one of these for my desktop, I don't know much about audiophile equipment but I have purchased other Fiio products and have been quite happy with them. Is this good for a first time buy? I like the price point of it and would prefer to stay in this range. Any other suggestions or will I be happy with this little guy? Thanks in advance.

Perfect first-time buy.  If you get it for a good price, you might even be able to sell it along in the future without losing anything (as I did).

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #912 of 1,083
  Thanks for the reply, the cheapest I seem to find it is $75. Good price or has it been less than that?

Not sure about current pricing to be honest.  I bought mine for $79.90 (eBay) shipped to Finland 18~ months ago and recently sold it for a couple bucks (Euros 
tongue.gif
) more than that.  You shouldn't rely on avoiding a loss if you sell it on, but you certainly wouldn't lose much and you get to test it for 'free'.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #914 of 1,083
  I got mine replaced under warranty.

Seems there has been a design change somewhere along the way. My old one did not have a volume switch with an off position. Also the latest packs even more power. My old unit I had on volume 5, this one never gets beyond 3 and that's with my DT770 250 ohm. And no, gain isnt switched on.

Ok, I've now listened to the new unit for about 50 hours. I now have the distinct impression something is different in the later model E10k units. It's definitely got more oomph and it seems to have lost a small amount of finesse and musicality. I am wondering why. What has changed? Why?

I'm hoping that Joe Bloggs is going to respond to this.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #915 of 1,083
Ok, I've now listened to the new unit for about 50 hours. I now have the distinct impression something is different in the later model E10k units. It's definitely got more oomph and it seems to have lost a small amount of finesse and musicality. I am wondering why. What has changed? Why?

I'm hoping that Joe Bloggs is going to respond to this.

There was talk that the K5 (the docking amp for the X7) would get a volume boost because, to have to turn the volume past 12 o'clock for 300-ohm cans even at high gain (or pegging the pot, for some quiet classical music) gave the impression that the K5 was not powerful enough to drive those cans.

I didn't say anything about increasing gain on other models though. And to my knowledge, increasing gain would just affect the volume pot position that gives a comfortable listening volume and at most perhaps increase hiss a little.

If the gain at low gain has been increased to such an extent that even a DT770-250 isn't using much of the pot, I have to wonder what high gain can be used for. :confused:

Anyway I may not be the right guy to ask for this, after all I've been out of work at FiiO for months now :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back