The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #422 of 567
Time for some heresy: I had a pair of HF2s where the cable had given out in multiple places. I also had a pair of Monoprice 8320s which are way too big for my ears, but I did like how durable the threaded cable and plug seemed, so...

http://i.imgur.com/wTMAbdtl.jpg (can't embed images yet)

My favorite IEM drivers + the cheapest IEM cable + heatshrink = what have I done?

The heat shrink around the stems is for better tip fit, and around the casing to hide the butchering they took from being opened.

Oh, and some heatshrink on the cable to slide up for storage. When properly coiled, I have no tangling issues with this cable anymore.

I flipped the relief molds so they're aligned for running wire over the ear, threw on some ER6-14 tips (my favorite tips), and they're up and running. I've always been bothered by the way the HF series' stress relief isn't perfect for wearing over-the-ear.

I can't say that soldering these things is very enjoyable...

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #423 of 567
I've been thinking about getting a pair of these. My only concern is frequency response. They are rated at 20Hz-15kHz.

I know this is high enough to play back the vast majority of what's present in music, but it's still a concern. Do any of you feel that the upper treble extension is lacking due to this roll-off?

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #424 of 567
Can I ask a bit of a noobish question...

How deep into your ear are the triple flanges meant to go? The video on the Etymotic site makes it look like the third flange should just disappear into your ear canal.

Is this accurate?

I haven't been able to get a good seal with the triple flange yet despite trying almost everything (including too deep I think).

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #425 of 567

How deep into your ear are the triple flanges meant to go? The video on the Etymotic site makes it look like the third flange should just disappear into your ear canal.

Is this accurate?

I haven't been able to get a good seal with the triple flange yet despite trying almost everything (including too deep I think).

It's not a noobish question.

It should go pretty much all the way in. Etymotic earphones are designed to be inserted deep (whatever tip you use) otherwise you won't get the right sound.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/how-deep-do-you-insert-you-er4.html

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #426 of 567
  I've been thinking about getting a pair of these. My only concern is frequency response. They are rated at 20Hz-15kHz.

I know this is high enough to play back the vast majority of what's present in music, but it's still a concern. Do any of you feel that the upper treble extension is lacking due to this roll-off?

There is no standard way of measuring frequency range, and the HF5's "20Hz to 15kHz" is better than many other brands claiming 10Hz to 25kHz.

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #427 of 567
Perhaps. Though It would be helpful to know if 15kHz is where the rolloff starts or if it's post rolloff. Speaker manufacturers will sometimes list the range before rolloff, then the range after 3 or 6db rolloff. This gives a better idea of the response curves and how high or low it can extend.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #428 of 567
I love my HF5's and use them all day every day during the working week. My pair are just over a year old and this week I noticed a split in the cable near the righ ear piece. The copper wire can be seen. Is this a common problem? I take great care of mine, always using the protective pouch, not using them at the gym etc...

I have contacted the retailer as they are still within the 2 yr warranty period. Will they be repaired or simply replaced? How long would a repair take? I don't want to be without them for too long.

If they are to be replaced, am I right in thinking that Ruby Red (which mine are) is no longer available. Is it just the black and Cobalt Blue now?

I'm tempted to upgrade to the ER4P's. I listen to electronic music and find the HF5's brilliant - the bass is there (tight and quick and not overblown), and gives the other frequencies plenty of space. I can listen to them for hours and not feel fatigued by them. I know the ER4's have less bass, but is it much less?

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #429 of 567

Is this accurate?

I put them (hf3s) nearly all the way in, with just a little bit of the flange hanging out. To me there's a point where deeper sounds better, that eventually gives way to sounding too closed in / close. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #430 of 567
Perhaps. Though It would be helpful to know if 15kHz is where the rolloff starts or if it's post rolloff. Speaker manufacturers will sometimes list the range before rolloff, then the range after 3 or 6db rolloff. This gives a better idea of the response curves and how high or low it can extend.

All Skullcandies IEMs presumable goes from 20 hz to 20khz, I don't think you shouldn't trust everything.
The HF5 goes deep in the highs, even if they only "arrive" up to 15, they do an excellent job doing it. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #431 of 567
I just got my Cobalt HF2's from Amazon on New Year's Eve.

My IEM experience has been as follows:

Etymotic ER6i
I managed to lose these. I know they're around the house somewhere. I'm sure they'll turn up one day.

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 (Amazon One Day Sale)
I bought these due to the sale price and the lost ER6i. I think these are a good at the sale price if you like the sound signature and ear fit. I always found the audio a bit 'smushed together' and the nozzles painfully wide for my ears. I'm interested in trying JH Freq Phase models if I ever get into truly high-end multi-driver IEMs but until then I'm back to single driver models.

VSonic GR07 (Mark 1 at closeout price)
The right channel died after some very light use. Perhaps it's unfair of me but that really killed my trust in this brand. I don't want to deal with overseas shipping for warranty issues. Sound wise I thought they were in some ways better than the UE TF 10s. I didn't find the highs to be all that harsh and sibliant as some people claim. It could be I only listen to uncompressed files and never at high volumes.

Etymotic HF2 (Currently Using)
These sure do fit my ear canals better than the UE TF 10's. Frankly I do not find them analytical or dry as many people perceive them to be. I feel they are merely "true to source". Every recording sounds different as it should.

My non-IEM headphone are Mr. Speakers' Mad Dog Alphas and Sennheiser HD-600s. I have a Light Harmonic Geek Super Duper on order for these two headphones and find the HF2s are just fine driven from an iPad 3.

I'm currently using the smaller triple flange tips. They provide great isolation but are a bit uncomfortable. If there is a softer silicone version of these types of tips, I'd like to try them. I'm also kicking around the idea of DIY custom molded silicone ear tips but that's way down the line. Perhaps even the ACS Custom Fit as offered through Etymotics.

Lastly, I was doing a lot of research before deciding to go with Etymotic again. What sold me was the generous discount for out of warranty returns. I'm relieved that I still like the company's products. I can quit shopping and get back to listening.

Happy New Year, All!

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #432 of 567
Anyone think I should remove the in-line volume control near the earpiece (several images of the HF5's do not display the volume controller, so initially I thought they might not be genuine, but the quality of the audio seems to indicate that they are)? Seems like it could be introducing interference. Also wondering if I should re-cable them to reduce any microphonics. I'd also like to know if there's a way to verify whether or not they are a previous generation of HF's, since I don't have the entire boxed set to judge them against full reference boxed sets. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #433 of 567
Hi all, I was recently given a new pair hf2 iems... I'm having issues with the fit, and I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a tip that is smaller than the small triple flange. I guess I have small canals. Thanks

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #434 of 567
Hi all, I was recently given a new pair hf2 iems... I'm having issues with the fit, and I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a tip that is smaller than the small triple flange. I guess I have small canals. Thanks

Really? smaller? The first time I tried (and still using them) the triple flanges I thought they were way to close to my brain. Try shorter (single flanges) tips instead. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #435 of 567
  Anyone think I should remove the in-line volume control near the earpiece (several images of the HF5's do not display the volume controller, so initially I thought they might not be genuine, but the quality of the audio seems to indicate that they are)? Seems like it could be introducing interference. Also wondering if I should re-cable them to reduce any microphonics. I'd also like to know if there's a way to verify whether or not they are a previous generation of HF's, since I don't have the entire boxed set to judge them against full reference boxed sets. 

Sounds like you have a HF3 - it's the same thing, but with the inline volume controller + microphone and control button.  Personally, I'd suggest leaving them alone since I find those controls/mic to be useful and recabling a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back