The Etymotics HF5 Thread
May 5, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #241 of 567
I need to change my filters I think - anyone know where's best to pick new ones up?

Metreonfuture - the lows are far more satisfying (power and 'slam', if that makes sense) on the HF2s (so by extension the HF5s) than the ER4P, but that's not really an answer to your question.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #243 of 567
I posted this in a separate thread, but I thought I'd share this here too.
(Other thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559597)

I got these from Amazon yesterday, and it has a new cable. Nice cable; it seems better than the old one. Looks like the Ety MC5 cable from what I remember. For me, it fits easily over the ear since the cable hangs down comfortably. I bought it direct from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller.

Here's a pic:

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #244 of 567

Quote:
I don't recommend Klipsch ovals on etys. They don't go as deep or isolate as well as triple flanges/foam and it harms the overall sound. Olives all the way! As for removing them, it takes patience to slowly twist them off without damaging the nozzle or the foam, but it's worth the hassle. Just grip firmly from the middle and twist in one direction.

I did. The nozzle didn't break; the shell did: the rear section came apart; I had to glue it back. It still works; it just doesn't look very good (I put too much glue and smeared it on the outside).

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #245 of 567
Gents, I've an inquiry:  I've been contemplating upgrading from my er6i etymotics as i've now need to buy more filters and more tips.  so instead of buying all that I'm thinking of just moving up to the HF5 set.  For those who know, what are the primary differences between the two sonically?  I've realized the lack of boom with the etymotic sound but I've the turbines for that.  I do love the clarity on the er6i.  

my primary listening cans for home are the SR80i and HD580.  For portable I have the turbines, TF.10, and the er6i.  my listening habits are electronic music and jazz.  I do have the HIFIman EF2A with mullard tubes for an amp but the HF5 will be for portable use only though an andriod phone and a clip+.  on a side note, this site is brilliant!  

cheers all, roger 

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #246 of 567
I used to be an owner of the ER6is. There's a hint less bass with the hf5 compared to the ER6i, since the ER6i has a minor low-end bump. The hf5s are more resolving and clearer, with an overall tighter sound.

The build of the hf5s is sturdier and the cable is a touch better. Also, with the more cylindrical shape of the hf5s, one is able to really get a deep seat in the ear canal with the triple-flanges.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #247 of 567

Quote:
Gents, I've an inquiry:  I've been contemplating upgrading from my er6i etymotics as i've now need to buy more filters and more tips.  so instead of buying all that I'm thinking of just moving up to the HF5 set.  For those who know, what are the primary differences between the two sonically?  I've realized the lack of boom with the etymotic sound but I've the turbines for that.  I do love the clarity on the er6i.  

my primary listening cans for home are the SR80i and HD580.  For portable I have the turbines, TF.10, and the er6i.  my listening habits are electronic music and jazz.  I do have the HIFIman EF2A with mullard tubes for an amp but the HF5 will be for portable use only though an andriod phone and a clip+.  on a side note, this site is brilliant!  

cheers all, roger 

The HF5 sounds very similar to the ER4 from what I've heard, and the ER4 was a noticeable upgrade from the ER6i, even unamped. Throw a PA2V2 into the mix, and the difference becomes even more pronounced (with the ER4). I'm not sure how the HF5 responds to amping.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #248 of 567
can't believe i never saw this thread earlier.. nevertheless it's my time to contribute... I personally think the HF5s are the most unique IEMs i have ever owned so far. Yes i admit i can get bored of the HFs at times, but when i decide to shove them in again, they simply amaze me every time. Great little IEM honestly speaking. Not loved by everyone, but absolutely adored by me

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #249 of 567
Coming in the mail on Monday if the Amazon tracking is correct!
I'll try to do a small comparison with my deceased RE0 when I get them.

Edit: I should say I ordered the hf3, but apparently they have identical sound signatures, the only difference being the iPod controls on the hf3.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #250 of 567

Quote:
Coming in the mail on Monday if the Amazon tracking is correct!
I'll try to do a small comparison with my deceased RE0 when I get them.

Edit: I should say I ordered the hf3, but apparently they have identical sound signatures, the only difference being the iPod controls on the hf3.

Yup, same drivers = same sonic sound.  So you can already do a comparison to the RE0 :p

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #251 of 567
A Small Comparison: HF3 vs RE0:

Treble:
HF3 - Beautiful treble that is just a little too forward in my opinion. The HF3 sound amazing with percussive sounding acoustic instruments - acoustic guitar and especially piano.
RE0 - Nice treble that you don't even notice after a while - extremely balanced with the rest of the sound. 
Winner: HF3

Mids:
HF3 - I'm listening to Janis Joplin's Pearl, and the organ, guitar and piano have such a great, full attack on the louder parts - extremely crisp and fast.
RE0 - Great mids that don't offer anything that stands out to me especially. The present everything in a balanced manner.
Winner: HF3

Bass:
HF3 - The bass really is too low in the mix. I expect I'll get used to it from what I've read, but, even coming from the RE0, not exactly bass monsters, there isn't isn't much bass. (yes, I have a good fit)
RE0 - I'll say it again: balanced. Don't expect to be blown away by the depth or quality of the bass, but it's there, and there is enough of it.
Winner: RE0

Soundstage:
Both the HF3 and the RE0 manage to separate instruments nicely, but the RE0 simply has more separation. This makes for a more analytical sound. The HF3 is a little more punchy, but there is less width to the soundstage.
Winner: Tie

Fit/other:
HF3 - Good fit, although the only tip that works for me is the large triple flange. The packaging is nice, with a carrying case, instructions on how to get a good fit, and 3 pairs of extra tips. The play pause button is very useful - if anyone is wondering whether to go for the HF5 or HF3, and owns an iPod, I would heartily recommend the HF3. Oh, and the isolation is amazing, but you already knew that. I can play my iPod classic at 1/4 volume while on the highway (not driving) and hear every detail. (with the Red Sox game blasting on the radio)
RE0 - The fit is great with all the tips for me, but sound quality varies greatly with all of them. I was able to get the best isolation with the comply foam tips (not included). The tips included do seem like they were simply what was lying around the factory; there's no sense of them being tailored to the earphone like the HF3. Packaging is okay, but there is no case included
Winner: Tie

Important: The RE0 is not a good earphone to be rough with, as it is not very durable! Do not use it as a main earphone if you want to sleep with them on, carry them around in your pocket, etc. The HF3's durability remains to be seen, but Etymotic has a 2 year warranty, as opposed to Head Direct's 1 year.

Overall Winner: so far I like the the HF3 better, but your mileage my vary; thee are both really nice IEM. If you like a more balanced sound, go with the RE0. If you like slightly more attack, and don't care about slightly less bass, HF3/5 all the way. If you plan to use these on public transportation/an airplane, get the HF3, if only because the isolation is just so good.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #252 of 567
a little more appreciation for these babies :)  right now listening with my j3 and the MAESTRO preset...I am in heaven !!   i don't know if i am the first one that say this,but the HF5 are bass monsters.  it is super deep and punchy and strong. the highs are wonderfull also,crisp and beautifully extended without being harsh or sibilant at all.  not even a hint for sibilance or something even close to this.
the mids are not recessed or anything...  they sound ok to me.  i am not really mids expert like other audiophiles,but as long the mids are not recessed and not too upfront i am pleased.    the HF5 are neutral but not too neutral.  they are still fun at the same time...actually they can be very fun with a little extra tweaking 
wink_face.gif

i just can't stop getting impressed by these. i even planned getting the shure se425 also just for having another pair of iems and maybe get a little higher in the sound quality.  but i think i will pass for now because i am so pleased with the hf5.   and they are not even a "top tier" iem. i wonder how much better will be higher grade iems..?  iem's that double or even three the price of the hf5.    

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #253 of 567
bought the hf2 yesterday
apparently they dont work with sony phones

they sound really clear. Now i can hear the background noise from laptop headphone out 
so apparently now i will have to buy\build a DAC
this headphones hobby is a money sink :|

Edit:
and i cant really use them for a while now, have an infection in my left ear. no iems for me for about a week :frowning2:

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #254 of 567
  I've been really enjoying my new hf5s and love the overall sound from them but these tips have to go.  None of them work well and simply cause me pain within 20 mintues short of the foams which i do not like.

What other tips are out there for the hf5s that do no change the sound too much from these deep insertion flange tips?

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #255 of 567
I bought a pair of these a few months ago for $179, loved them and lost them somewhere. I finally gave up looking for them and when I went to Amazon to replace them the current sale price is now $100. I couldn't click buy now fast enough!
Great headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back