The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #2,041 of 2,127
The writing is blurred. Which Finisar is this?
Haha… I think they do that on purpose so they can charge more. I do have one but it’s in the back of my rack. I didn’t hear a difference from the GTeck one but my audio confidence level was increased.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #2,042 of 2,127
I think my switch sounds great. Buy it
Compared to what? Have you tried any audiophile switches? Upgraded power supplies?

I research tech data, pro reviews and audiophile opinions before buying anything, and I do a home trial whenever possible.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2,043 of 2,127
Haha… I think they do that on purpose so they can charge more.
No doubt.
I do have one but it’s in the back of my rack. I didn’t hear a difference from the GTeck one but my audio confidence level was increased
LOL!
I found quite a big difference with a Small Green Computer 10GTek SFP vs. a FTLF1318P3BTL in the EtherRegen. The 10GTek has quite a recessed bass range, which makes music less involving.

I use a pair of these in my desktop system, which I believe are identical to the 10GTek because of the model number, and I am completely happy with the cost and results in that system:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B4TBRRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #2,044 of 2,127
I've had a Network Audio Muon on loan from a friend for over a week now. I tried it at the audio end, between my EtherRegen and exaSound PlayPoint renderer, playing files from my NAS. The difference was so subtle that it took me a few days to figure out what it was doing to the sound. In the end I determined it was slightly veiled and rounded the transients, smoothing the sound. I must emphasize, this was extremely subtle. Obviously not a worthwhile purchase for me. Maybe it would work for someone with an overly bright system, but the cost is daunting.

I had been disappointed with the sound of Qobuz, so I tried to improve it by inserting various combinations of three ethernet filters (Muon, LAN iSilencer and eBay filter), alone and in pairs, upstream and downstream from my router. Adding the Muon alone, between my router and switch was a clear improvement. Fortunately, I don't need to add an expensive Muon. I was able to achieve the same level of performance achieved with the Muon by inserting the eBay filter ahead of the router, and the iSilencer upstream of the N8 switch.

I have been listening to Qobuz with no thought that it is lacking. Qobuz is very close to the sound quality from my NAS, close enough that I can only tell which is playing by direct comparison.
Muon: highly detailed, bass a bit imprecise, smooths the sound, voluminous soundstage
LAN iSilencer: highly detailed, bright sound, emphasizes sibilants, tight but light bass range, shallow soundstage (upfront presentation)
eBay filter: lacks microdetail, warm & smooth highs, big bass but a bit flabby, good soundstage
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/232318518946
Both filters, used together in the right location are an awesome value!
Interesting. Just remind me what your downstream chain is if you don't mind - N8 switch > Etherregen > streamer, is that right? Is your Etherregen externally clocked?

I ask as I have a few iSilencers that I use in certain places in combination with my switches and FMCs with good results, but haven't tried upstream of the router yet. Main place I found the IfIs weren't beneficial was directly facing my streaming DAC - that sounded best directly connected to my main, internally OCXO clocked, switch.

For the record I tried this AliX network isolator late last year, which supposedly has a Crystek CCHD957 oscillator - though I'm not sure I believe this as the chip markings were obscured - which looked well built and IIRC came recommended here on HF. But unfortunately it was a net negative in my chain at that time either in place of or upstream or downstream of the LAN iSilencer between the FMCs and my primary switch. Less transparent and less refined. This was even with a good clean LPS feeding it. Now I think of it, as it's sitting unused, probably worth dusting off and trying again including between the modem and router as you did.

'Hifi switch network cable filter CCHD957'
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNQSGUi

Cheers
Jake

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #2,045 of 2,127
I've had a Network Audio Muon on loan from a friend for over a week now. I tried it at the audio end, between my EtherRegen and exaSound PlayPoint renderer, playing files from my NAS. The difference was so subtle that it took me a few days to figure out what it was doing to the sound. In the end I determined it was slightly veiled and rounded the transients, smoothing the sound. I must emphasize, this was extremely subtle. Obviously not a worthwhile purchase for me. Maybe it would work for someone with an overly bright system, but the cost is daunting.

I had been disappointed with the sound of Qobuz, so I tried to improve it by inserting various combinations of three ethernet filters (Muon, LAN iSilencer and eBay filter), alone and in pairs, upstream and downstream from my router. Adding the Muon alone, between my router and switch was a clear improvement. Fortunately, I don't need to add an expensive Muon. I was able to achieve the same level of performance achieved with the Muon by inserting the eBay filter ahead of the router, and the iSilencer upstream of the N8 switch.

I have been listening to Qobuz with no thought that it is lacking. Qobuz is very close to the sound quality from my NAS, close enough that I can only tell which is playing by direct comparison.
Muon: highly detailed, bass a bit imprecise, smooths the sound, voluminous soundstage
LAN iSilencer: highly detailed, bright sound, emphasizes sibilants, tight but light bass range, shallow soundstage (upfront presentation)
eBay filter: lacks microdetail, warm & smooth highs, big bass but a bit flabby, good soundstage
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/232318518946
Both filters, used together in the right location are an awesome value!
One more choice.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #2,046 of 2,127
But unfortunately it was a net negative in my chain at that time either in place of or upstream or downstream of the LAN iSilencer between the FMCs and my primary switch. Less transparent and less refined. This was even with a good clean LPS feeding it.
But still it was probably because you need to power it. One more unnecessary source of mains noise. I would avoid filters like that.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #2,047 of 2,127
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #2,048 of 2,127
But still it was probably because you need to power it. One more unnecessary source of mains noise. I would avoid filters like that.
Perhaps this was the reason. I'll give it another whirl anyway.

Quite a few isolators on the market now. Incidentally the iFi LAN iSilencer, which I see you have, isn't shielded so benefits a little from wrapping in copper foil, and a little more from grounding the foil.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #2,049 of 2,127
Hey all, just wanna ask. If I’m using PC as my source, is it worth upgrading my streaming cable? Currently I’m just using a normal ethernet cable from router to PC to stream my music. USB cable connected from PC to DAC and also I’m using an integrated amplifier.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #2,050 of 2,127
Interesting. Just remind me what your downstream chain is if you don't mind - N8 switch > Etherregen > streamer, is that right? Is your Etherregen externally clocked?

I ask as I have a few iSilencers that I use in certain places in combination with my switches and FMCs with good results, but haven't tried upstream of the router yet. Main place I found the IfIs weren't beneficial was directly facing my streaming DAC - that sounded best directly connected to my main, internally OCXO clocked, switch.

For the record I tried this AliX network isolator late last year, which supposedly has a Crystek CCHD957 oscillator - though I'm not sure I believe this as the chip markings were obscured - which looked well built and IIRC came recommended here on HF. But unfortunately it was a net negative in my chain at that time either in place of or upstream or downstream of the LAN iSilencer between the FMCs and my primary switch. Less transparent and less refined. This was even with a good clean LPS feeding it. Now I think of it, as it's sitting unused, probably worth dusting off and trying again including between the modem and router as you did.

'Hifi switch network cable filter CCHD957'
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNQSGUi

Cheers
Jake
This is essentially Ethernet switch and should be used the same way as you plug additional switch, but it is not its main function, see below. It is intentionally limited to two ports in order to not give user an opportunity to add more sources of noise.

PCB has a layout for the oscilator with CCHD957 pinout, but instead on the photo there is a standard oscilator on the piggyback board, you can check what is in yours. My main objective is a cost, maybe there is a version with a standard oscilator. It shouldn't cost more that $20, it is what I would suggest to buy.

A description is professional and honest. It says the most important function is grounding and instruction is the same in principle as iFi for their iDefender. The best placement is in close proximity to your upstream device with a proper grounding wire. You can use less expensive LPS if you do proper grounding. If you use iSilencer, plug it downstream on a short cable to this device.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #2,051 of 2,127
Hey all, just wanna ask. If I’m using PC as my source, is it worth upgrading my streaming cable? Currently I’m just using a normal ethernet cable from router to PC to stream my music. USB cable connected from PC to DAC and also I’m using an integrated amplifier.
If I read your question a little more generally - can you benefit from ethernet chain improvements - the answer has to be yes. How much will depend on a bunch of things, like how noisy or audio optimised your PC is and how resolving or low noise your system is otherwise.

If I were you, rather than investing in cables to start with, I'd begin with inserting a cheap but quality switch like the Netgear GS108e in between your router and PC, just using standard UTP cat 5/6 ethernet cables initially. And/or try some cheap fibre media converters like the ones below (a pair incl SMPS for $15). If you hear a positive difference from either, the next step would be better power supplies and/or ethernet cables and/or LAN isolators like the iFi above. From there it is a slippery slope down into the rabbit hole if you are so inclined.

Actually the cheapest thing to try at the outset to see the potential benefit is just turning wifi off on the router (pausing and restarting and/or muting your stereo for say 5 secs during the transition period) - see if you can hear a difference there. If yes, it gives you a first glimpse of how much of a noise generator routers are. If not, that's not determinative - doesn't mean there's no value in exploring isolation via switches etc, still worth a shot.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004595817580.html

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #2,052 of 2,127
+☝️

Very good recommendations. If I could add to this I would say connecting a switch to the endpoint/computer/streamer also increases the performance by lowering the latency responds. Good for both audio and gamers :L3000:

I have a 108 switch(stock psu) in the start of my chain and I think to me it makes sound more musical. It influences very positive on the sound for me. Much bigger upgrade than a cable imo. Stock psu will be changed with iFi iPower X. Just the best and most practical upgrade for the money.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #2,053 of 2,127
This is essentially Ethernet switch and should be used the same way as you plug additional switch, but it is not its main function, see below. It is intentionally limited to two ports in order to not give user an opportunity to add more sources of noise.

PCB has a layout for the oscilator with CCHD957 pinout, but instead on the photo there is a standard oscilator on the piggyback board, you can check what is in yours. My main objective is a cost, maybe there is a version with a standard oscilator. It shouldn't cost more that $20, it is what I would suggest to buy.

A description is professional and honest. It says the most important function is grounding and instruction is the same in principle as iFi for their iDefender. The best placement is in close proximity to your upstream device with a proper grounding wire. You can use less expensive LPS if you do proper grounding. If you use iSilencer, plug it downstream on a short cable to this device.
Well here it is, with a convenient reference for the CCHD957 oscillators you'll recognise (well just one for ethernet) that should've been included. They are quite deep - ~4mm so I cannot see where it'd be. Too thick to sit under the heat sink. I also took the bottom off too, there's nothing under there. The copper foil is mine to improve the grounding to the ground terminal.

Note the weights they put on the lid and the base to make it feel heavier and I guess dampen it.

Finally I did try it with an IFI Power X PS i) after /downstream of the Router before my first switch and FMCs and ii) between the router and cable modem. This time it was beneficial in both locations, but had more effect in location (i) - calmer, more refinement and body to the sound. (ii) was a little edgy, thinner by comparison.

20240329_222725.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #2,054 of 2,127
One more choice.

I like Stack Audios approach specially the LINK II to switch off power/USB. I find Isolators interesting, even though my current network chain made the BAASKE/Pink Faun bottleneck, I still find the curiousity to try Stack Audio. Not the ordinary designs to me, looks like he put some soul into his works.

----

What he says at 07:23 ... Ethernet/digital = Analog

----

My findings/experience on isolators
If you ask me choosing between a 108/switch with iFi iPower X and any of the network isolators. I would choose the switch/iFi for the purpose of sound quality. I am a little sceptic about the
They protect connected equipment against extraneous voltage sources and overvoltage, which can arise from installation errors, aging components, or moisture at the network interface. They attenuate low-frequency signal components and thus protect connected equipment from ground loops and other problems.
these isolators will benefit or not in music. However I am still interested in trying the SA smoothlan

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #2,055 of 2,127
Just remind me what your downstream chain is if you don't mind - N8 switch > Etherregen > streamer, is that right? Is your Etherregen externally clocked?
I assume you meant upstream?

Source > N8 > ethernet > oMD v2 > fiber > ER > ethernet > PlayPoint
Ethernet cables are Audio Sensibility Signature I2S and Audio Sensibility Signature
Fiber link is Corning single-mode with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs
Source is either a QNAP NAS or TP-Link router
All components on linear power except for the NAS

I am not convinced that an external clock is a good idea. Ed Meitner said it is a terrible idea, a clock should be a few millimeters from the chip, otherwise EMI/RFI and power supply noise will cause jitter. The measurements I've seen so far show deteriorated technical performance, even with a pricey Mutec REF-10 clock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back