The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #2,071 of 2,166
Finisar FCBG110SD1C01 AOC used for this listening.

Also have these Finisar SFPs - FTLF1318P3BTL, but have yet to get a Corning cable for em as last time I looked it was really difficult to get any shipped here for less than a king's ransom... a wierd pricing/ availability/ shipping cost distortion. Will have another look.

Any particular Corning cable you recommend? As when I went to their site they have a crazy wide range of optical cables.
I have both corning and cheaper. Honestly it is preference. Corning may be better specs but sound. Do you have 10km between your network and D/A? —- not. Just get som cables and get going.

However don’t buy the shortest cables. For for atleast 3-5meters so the light can bounce. Singlemodes are much more powerful than multis.

They are not meant for short distances. You can get away with cheaper alternatives(multi) that may even sound better with OM5.
--

Somebody is going to bring up modal dispersion now....counting.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #2,072 of 2,166
I have both corning and cheaper. Honestly it is preference. Corning may be better specs but sound. Do you have 10km between your network and D/A? —- not. Just get som cables and get going.

However don’t buy the shortest cables. For for atleast 3-5meters so the light can bounce. Singlemodes are much more powerful than multis.

They are not meant for short distances. You can get away with cheaper alternatives(multi) that may even sound better with OM5.
--

Somebody is going to bring up modal dispersion now....counting.
Cheers, I am up and running with a well recommended set of Finisar AOCs which sounds terrific with the FMCs I mention.

Re the cable to go with the pretty expensive (NZ landed cost) 1318 SFPs to get the most out of them to make it worthwhile getting them as a step-up alternative to the AOCs, my preference if a little OCD was/is to go with particular cables like the Corning that come highly recommended here or on AS, not just any old cables which are of course super easy to get from AliX. I'll get some of those too.

But I take your point re your experience being there's not much difference between those you've tried.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #2,073 of 2,166
Cheers, I am up and running with a well recommended set of Finisar AOCs which sounds terrific with the FMCs I mention.

Re the cable to go with the pretty expensive (NZ landed cost) 1318 SFPs to get the most out of them to make it worthwhile getting them as a step-up alternative to the AOCs, my preference if a little OCD was/is to go with particular cables like the Corning that come highly recommended here or on AS, not just any old cables which are of course super easy to get from AliX. I'll get some of those too.

But I take your point re your experience being there's not much difference between those you've tried.
There are differences in sound on all cables I am saying the use case of Single mode and Multimode....The network industry is laughing at us.

Think of it like this. Your house is Multimode and what connects your house to every other house is Single mode.

On a very short distant like audiophile. I encourage you to try the best multimode up against the best single mode....prices are not so different almost the same.

This community is focused on too much reading than listening. Modal dispersion is going to be a thing that will prevent people from trying the multis. This is completely failing approach, because music should be about music to the ear and not to the eye.

----

You do know that AOC still means copper right? - Don´t get me wrong but from my impressions and your OCD and your tweaking journey - I SERIOUSLY thought you would just have bought and optical cable and isolate the power :sweat_smile:
'
But again it is the music that matters, maybe they will sound better to you after trying the optical fibers.

Don´t wait enjoy the music now. While you can just grab a cheap Duplex/OS2 cable....remember stay away from the green/APC and buy the blue/UPC connecters. Very important! match the colors of both ends.

----

Ooh I forgot to pick up some FINISAR today... on my way! :sweat_smile: 🤣
https://www.adark.co/products/after...le-for-audiophile?_pos=9&_sid=f5f59f23f&_ss=r

I want to hear how the SFP ports sounds like on my Ciscos. Going to pair with Pink Faun Ethernet cable

---
EDIT:
Let me just say that I am not a fan of optical fiber and don´t use it on the LAN side at all. My usecase is only WAN(noise) side as I still don´t like them to be at the same level as a good ethernet connection.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #2,074 of 2,166
In this context AOC means Active Optical Cable, an integrated one piece with SFPs at each end and a permanently affixed optical fibre in the middle, used for short runs in a network rack context.

I provided the model number a few posts up. Here's the product page.. the xx at the end designates the length so my 01 is a 1m length.

https://nz.mouser.com/new/coherent/finisar-fcbg110sd1cxx-cables/

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #2,075 of 2,166
In this context AOC means Active Optical Cable, an integrated one piece with SFPs at each end and a permanently affixed optical fibre in the middle, used for short runs in a network rack context.

I provided the model number a few posts up. Here's the product page.. the xx at the end designates the length so my 01 is a 1m length.

https://nz.mouser.com/new/coherent/finisar-fcbg110sd1cxx-cables/
True, I confused them for the Active coppe SPFs I am going to pick up today. :sweat_smile: :L3000:

Direct attached copper(sfp) - not DAC

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #2,077 of 2,166
Very interesting - what do you expect to gain from using FCLF8522P2BTL Active Copper SFP Modules? Not sure where the benefit is :)

Torben
That I can not say before my ears have tried them. My eyes says something different, but I am always up for some suprise.

Active Coppers have a bad reputation between some engineers out there. And I wanted to test that thought by letting my ears decide not somebody I clearly don´t know personally

They are for testing.

READ LESS TRY MORE! that is my motto to myself

---

I don´t like optical cables on LAN. They have too much "attention and tiring" for me on my setup - many things I don´t like. I rather experiment with a lot of RJ45 option, which is a fun part of this hobby to shape the sound.

The "Reclocker" I am building has Optical fiber. Well it is a bridged/router setup to isolate WAN/LAN further before my actual router/firewal/LAN. I have some Broadcom nics optical fiber and RJ45 that is waiting for this project to be finished. VyOS or OPNsense not completely sure. If it succeeds I am putting both the afterdark x1 and s1 in this "Reclocker"

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #2,078 of 2,166
Finisar FCBG110SD1C01 AOC used for this listening.

Also have these Finisar SFPs - FTLF1318P3BTL, but have yet to get a Corning cable for em as last time I looked it was really difficult to get any shipped here for less than a king's ransom... a wierd pricing/ availability/ shipping cost distortion. Will have another look.
The 1318 should be quite an improvement.
Any particular Corning cable you recommend? As when I went to their site they have a crazy wide range of optical cables.
Yes, confusing for sure.

I'm told most single fiber cable is manufactured by Corning. The main thing is to get a yellow cable with blue connectors. I purchased this one, but it was offered in single packs, now only available in packs of six. The specs are shown, which may help you to find a similar product locally:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08LCPHY5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #2,079 of 2,166
Very interesting - what do you expect to gain from using FCLF8522P2BTL Active Copper SFP Modules? Not sure where the benefit is :)

Torben

I can tell you right now, during break-in on these brand new SFP. That I actually like them better than the ports on my switch.

The cable Pink Faun LAN is used. It sounds less veiled than the ports.

My use case is between switches, not directly on the Streamer.

Switch/SFP(RJ45) -> PF LAN cable -> Switch/SFP(RJ45) -> generic CAT8.1 cable -> Streamer

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #2,080 of 2,166
I can tell you right now, during break-in on these brand new SFP. That I actually like them better than the ports on my switch.

Switch/SFP(RJ45) -> PF LAN cable -> Switch/SFP(RJ45) -> generic CAT8.1 cable -> Streamer

THX - Maybe I should make a test when I ma back home: Server (Roon) - LAN cable - Cisco Meraki Go GS110-8-HW-EU SFP port

Torben

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #2,081 of 2,166
THX - Maybe I should make a test when I ma back home: Server (Roon) - LAN cable - Cisco Meraki Go GS110-8-HW-EU SFP port

Torben
I would also switch places with the units. Put the Meraki closer to the streamer and let the FMC do the dirty work.

However nothing is certained yet as the LAN cable is also new....These Pink Faun cables have a tendency to open up and get sweeter. Can confirm both the I2S and the COAX does this. Recommended burnin is atleast 300 hours. I noticed 500hours was the sweetspot on my system

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #2,082 of 2,166
Crucial information which many streamers know, but if you are testing music from any website like youtube make sure to delete cache. Goes for any software that caches you music. Don´t let the placebo win
1712415361920.png

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #2,083 of 2,166
I am obsessed with Ethernet lately.

I am looking for help.

Request: convert ethernet protocol to USB so I can use my eternet adapter as output from computer, and connecto to my DDC/DAC
1712418213339.png
This looks interesting as my DDC is not USB powered. I wonder if I could attach it to the switch and use multiple source/streamers. I am thinking of splitting my audiophile apart from my gamer pc for a dedicated network streamer. Connecting both to a switch and route audio to the D/A with this kind of ethernet solution.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #2,084 of 2,166
Active Coppers have a bad reputation between some engineers out there. And I wanted to test that thought by letting my ears decide not somebody I clearly don´t know personally

They are for testing.

Sure, give them a try. Might sound okay in a cheap switch.

But here is the reasoning I wrote elsewhere about it:

SFP modules with RJ45 are NOT desirable for a variety of reasons:
a) They contain limited magnetics (usually just 4 cores--as opposed to to for example the 12-core per port with ground-shunted inductor as used in all EtherREGEN RJ45s);

b) They have their own PHY chip handling the copper MAC processing to fiber-mode (differential pairs) which is the signal format that then goes to the switch chip (it's essentially SGMII). And since that PHY chip likely runs from 1.1V or 1.8V--but only 3.3V is presented to the SFP cage--they also have some tiny cheap voltage regulator;

c) The PHY needs a 25MHz clock, so these RJ45 SFP modules have some tiny cheap XO or crystal.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #2,085 of 2,166
Sure, give them a try. Might sound okay in a cheap switch.

But here is the reasoning I wrote elsewhere about it:

SFP modules with RJ45 are NOT desirable for a variety of reasons:
a) They contain limited magnetics (usually just 4 cores--as opposed to to for example the 12-core per port with ground-shunted inductor as used in all EtherREGEN RJ45s);

b) They have their own PHY chip handling the copper MAC processing to fiber-mode (differential pairs) which is the signal format that then goes to the switch chip (it's essentially SGMII). And since that PHY chip likely runs from 1.1V or 1.8V--but only 3.3V is presented to the SFP cage--they also have some tiny cheap voltage regulator;

c) The PHY needs a 25MHz clock, so these RJ45 SFP modules have some tiny cheap XO or crystal.
A lot of numbers.....a lot of technical talk. I listen to music, I don´t read what negative impact "things" can have .... music will be less joy if I assume how the sound will be instead of listening to the actual thing.-... This hobby will die fast if people are so closeminded and read instead of listening to the things.

The etherregen looks soooo good on paper, but could not even better my routers sound.

Who is right...does you opinion really matter? - no offense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back