The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #2,011 of 2,127
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #2,012 of 2,127
After 5min he starts explaining…or in the intro.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #2,014 of 2,127
Hopefully, the new version s100/2 doesn't have those issues. I think he may be using the older one, since the video is in 2020 and I think the new one came out at the end of 2022.
I talked with an owner with same issues less than a 6month ago.

It sounds amazing when it has the right setup though😊👍

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #2,016 of 2,127
Hope I don't have those issues!
JCAT NET XE ?

There are no issues on computers(pcie adapter). It is mostly dedicated streamers.

I recommend you put the adapter to 100 instead of auto negotiation

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #2,018 of 2,127
Yes jcat net card xe. I plan on using the 100mbps to the card.

Hmmm, I haven't heard him mention the Melco switch in that video yet.
I could not find it either. Going to find it.

You will have no issues on JCAT. I am 99% sure

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #2,019 of 2,127
Random: Experimenting more with Linksys LGS108

I found this switch to have boring tone/neutral/flat but the timing/musicality is actually there. I found it to be best before all my Cisco switches.

It has stock psu, I hope to upgrade it soon.

Best way to put the LGS is before the more serious units. That is how it works for me.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #2,020 of 2,127
Improving ISP/WAN fiber further?

It was not an easy task to understand the connection from the PLC splitter in the basement to the wall going to the GPON device, but I think I got it now.

My idea was to see if I could get improvement from the Splitter/OLT going into my GPON unit.

For this purpose a OLT repeater
https://www.ad-net.com.tw/product/epon-repeater-range-extender/
https://www.baudcom.com.cn/pon-oeo-repeater-epon-amplifier.html

Don´t assume anything right now, but curious to try it. It is the cheapest option I could find. All I need is the ONU module going to the GPON.
https://www.fs.com/products/64169.html?attribute=99183&id=3485846

Only reason that sparked this idea was the improvement CBS220 made before my router(SFP input)

Thinking about ordering the repeater soon.

WAN Chain explained.
OLT -> PLC splitter in basement ->Fiber outlet on the wall(LC/APC) -> OLT repeater(with good psu*) ->ONU/GPON -> CBS220/SFP -> Router

*They all should have

-

"EPON repeater amplifier is an optical transmission equipment which magnify and reshape signals during optical transmission process. The EPON repeater amplifier can provide 3R (i.e. re-amplification, reshaping and retiming) regeneration to signals during optical transmission, amplify weak input of optical signals, complete regeneration of electrical signals"

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #2,021 of 2,127
Connecting a switch to other network gear and ahead of the router bypasses the firewall, which allows easy access from outside the network, does it not? That is what we were discussing.
It's always hard to know what people are discussing on this thread. But if you're just trying to use a bunch of switches and routers in a row (no idea why, but 🤷‍♂️) then an unmanaged switch outside of the firewall is fine.

Obviously, do not plug your mom's PC into a switch outside of the firewall 🤣

@cpurdy do you have experience with GPON?
I don't personally use it, so I've never done it myself. They're common (or used to be at least) for longer distance runs. So far, my building-to-building runs are all just buried sealed pipes with a mix of coax and CAT6 CL3/CM3 rated "direct burial" wire (that's the code where I use this). I use some MOCA and some Ethernet, depending on signal strength over distance. I've found that the Ethernet speed degrades slightly more than the specs say it should; for example, I got 100Mbps over Ethernet on a piped run (4x Ethernet and 4x COAX) that should have been short enough to maintain 1000Mbps, so I used 2.5Gbps MOCA instead. Most of the wires don't get used, but the cost of ripping out walls and digging up cement is 10000000x the cost of running a bunch of extra wire during construction.

There are no issues on computers(pcie adapter). It is mostly dedicated streamers.
It boggles my mind that people could be using "dedicated streamers" that have so little buffer space that they are converting UDP packets in real time into audio. Seriously, 1990 called and wants its archaic technology back.

I watched that video, and my best guess is that they've built the world's most convoluted setup possible in order to convince people that they need to buy something. 🤷‍♂️

Any $100 device made in the last decade wouldn't suffer one iota from any of this nonsense. I'm currently (this past weekend) listening to music on IASUS XSOUND helmet headphones ($100+) from a bluetooth receiver (maybe $5) from an iPhone ($$$) running PlexAmp ($0) pulling from Verizon 5g ($45/mo) in the lost reaches of the Appalachians from my (residential) FIOS router ($60/mo) a few states away with an open port for my Plex Server (< $200 lifetime) on a Mac Pro ($$$) streaming (mostly) FLAC format files from a Synology server ($$$) across an Ethernet switch or two (maybe $300-$500 each), all with zero issues. And if there were issues, it wouldn't change the audio quality; it would just pause the music playing while buffering the next song (which hasn't happened even once, thus far).

And for the record, I'm really liking the PlexAmp app. It has some issues, but it's 99% great! Had I known, I would have gotten it set up years ago!

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #2,022 of 2,127
all with zero issues. And if there were issues, it wouldn't change the audio quality; it would just pause the music playing while buffering the next song (which hasn't happened even once, thus far).
It's not about data loss. We agree, the bits arrive as they should, otherwise there would be a dropout or massive distortion. The explanation is on the UpTone Audio website, from an expert in silicon chip design and a leader in the field of network audio, which you are clearly not.

cpurdy: "It boggles my mind that people could be using "dedicated streamers" that have so little buffer space that they are converting UDP packets in real time into audio. Seriously, 1990 called and wants its archaic technology back."

"Q. Some music renderer endpoints have software or hardware buffers, as do the USB or Ethernet interfaces of some DACs. Do the effects of upstream phase-noise and leakage still impact these?

A. Buffers by themselves do not block phase-noise overlay. As long as there is input data (such as in most USB endpoint buffers) the ground-plane noise from the data still enters the DAC’s ground-plane whether there is a buffer there or not. In addition, this phase-noise overlay also occurs inside the buffer itself, plus the input clocks on both the input and output side are subject to the threshold affects of noise on the ground-plane AND on the ground wires inside the buffer chip. So small buffers with data going in and out don't really make much of a difference, and if not done just right can actually make things worse. USB systems usually have a very small buffer, and since there is always data coming in while data is going out, phase-noise overlay from incoming data is still a factor. Even if the buffer after the USB receiver is large, there are always a fair amount of USB packets still on the bus. The only way that goes away is to completely close down the USB connection."
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #2,023 of 2,127
A. Buffers by themselves do not block phase-noise overlay. As long as there is input data (such as in most USB endpoint buffers) the ground-plane noise from the data still enters the DAC’s ground-plane whether there is a buffer there or not. In addition, this phase-noise overlay also occurs inside the buffer itself....
Pseudo technical language with in-house invented terms like "phase-noise overlay".
Huh...

Hovever after analysing what a guy is trying to say, I can't find wrong/misleading statements. Just leaving bad taste...

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #2,024 of 2,127
It's always hard to know what people are discussing on this thread. But if you're just trying to use a bunch of switches and routers in a row (no idea why, but 🤷‍♂️) then an unmanaged switch outside of the firewall is fine.

Obviously, do not plug your mom's PC into a switch outside of the firewall 🤣

I don't personally use it, so I've never done it myself. They're common (or used to be at least) for longer distance runs. So far, my building-to-building runs are all just buried sealed pipes with a mix of coax and CAT6 CL3/CM3 rated "direct burial" wire (that's the code where I use this). I use some MOCA and some Ethernet, depending on signal strength over distance. I've found that the Ethernet speed degrades slightly more than the specs say it should; for example, I got 100Mbps over Ethernet on a piped run (4x Ethernet and 4x COAX) that should have been short enough to maintain 1000Mbps, so I used 2.5Gbps MOCA instead. Most of the wires don't get used, but the cost of ripping out walls and digging up cement is 10000000x the cost of running a bunch of extra wire during construction.

It boggles my mind that people could be using "dedicated streamers" that have so little buffer space that they are converting UDP packets in real time into audio. Seriously, 1990 called and wants its archaic technology back.

I watched that video, and my best guess is that they've built the world's most convoluted setup possible in order to convince people that they need to buy something. 🤷‍♂️

Any $100 device made in the last decade wouldn't suffer one iota from any of this nonsense. I'm currently (this past weekend) listening to music on IASUS XSOUND helmet headphones ($100+) from a bluetooth receiver (maybe $5) from an iPhone ($$$) running PlexAmp ($0) pulling from Verizon 5g ($45/mo) in the lost reaches of the Appalachians from my (residential) FIOS router ($60/mo) a few states away with an open port for my Plex Server (< $200 lifetime) on a Mac Pro ($$$) streaming (mostly) FLAC format files from a Synology server ($$$) across an Ethernet switch or two (maybe $300-$500 each), all with zero issues. And if there were issues, it wouldn't change the audio quality; it would just pause the music playing while buffering the next song (which hasn't happened even once, thus far).

And for the record, I'm really liking the PlexAmp app. It has some issues, but it's 99% great! Had I known, I would have gotten it set up years ago!
Took the risk and ordered
1332AAC0-E46F-4A88-B291-2A872D6EBA42.jpeg
More people have reported it works on a switch.

Interesting experiment for regenerating the fiber connection that comes from a far distance into my basement/PLC splitter

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #2,025 of 2,127
Took the risk and ordered
1332AAC0-E46F-4A88-B291-2A872D6EBA42.jpeg
More people have reported it works on a switch.

Interesting experiment for regenerating the fiber connection that comes from a far distance into my basement/PLC splitter
I use these as the last point before my rig. Generic GTeck feeding the other end at the switch.

IMG_0365.jpeg
IMG_0366.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back