The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,996 of 2,127
That is my current setup: Galvanic isolation from the mains - electrical isolation
- Decoupling the power supply from the mains

Torben
I would try to "switch" places with the FMC and the Meraki. You are missing out on all the nice chip sound from that sweet meraki!

Wall/LAN -> RJ45 -> FMC-> SFP -> Meraki -> RJ45 -> :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #1,997 of 2,127
All I can say about my improvements is that CBS220 is not just a switch. People who doubt network switches have a "sound" difference than other switches, should try the CBS220 or any other Cisco switch. I am still in shock and have not been able to move from my chair with my headphones for over 8hours now.
I thought if that lasted for over two hours, you were supposed to call your doctor?

I heard that you should never connect a switch ahead of the router, because the router has a firewall and a switch doesn't, creating a security risk.
That is an interesting opinion. Other things that don't include firewalls: Power cords. Potato mashers. Network cables. Salamanders.

A switch isn't Fort Knox; it's a busy intersection with traffic going everywhere. As such, it doesn't need a firewall, and in fact it would be stupid for a firewall to be there.

A firewall is intended to block traffic; since a router routes traffic, it's natural for a router to include a firewall, to prevent the routing of undesired traffic.

The Cisco CBS220 has a EEE/Power saving feature which I turned off.

On the LAN side it is pretty much plug and play. ROUTER/RJ45 -> CBS220/RJ45 -> RJ45/SOURCE.

I was speechless earlier as I noticed the break in process made the sound even better. I am only 2-3 days(20 hours of audio listening) in and it started to shine even more. I use decent power supply 12V, not the stock on both.
The longer you break it in, the smoother the packets get.

I was excited about the Linksys LGS108 before I got it. No matter where I put it it makes the music sound harsher in the highs.
Needs more break-in. Smooth those packets out. Sometimes the 1s have too sharp of points; as you break them in, they'll smooth out like the 0s.

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #1,998 of 2,127
I thought if that lasted for over two hours, you were supposed to call your doctor?

That is an interesting opinion. Other things that don't include firewalls: Power cords. Potato mashers. Network cables. Salamanders.

A switch isn't Fort Knox; it's a busy intersection with traffic going everywhere. As such, it doesn't need a firewall, and in fact it would be stupid for a firewall to be there.

A firewall is intended to block traffic; since a router routes traffic, it's natural for a router to include a firewall, to prevent the routing of undesired traffic.

The longer you break it in, the smoother the packets get.

Needs more break-in. Smooth those packets out. Sometimes the 1s have too sharp of points; as you break them in, they'll smooth out like the 0s.
I am testing cables now(ethernet/fiber), to my surprise some of the smoothness is the fiber cable. Ethernet is brighter and more airy in top frequencies.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #1,999 of 2,127
Connecting a switch to other network gear and ahead of the router bypasses the firewall, which allows easy access from outside the network, does it not? That is what we were discussing.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #2,000 of 2,127
Connecting a switch to other network gear and ahead of the router bypasses the firewall, which allows easy access from outside the network, does not?
That would be very un-best practice.

Firewall always on! To the WAN.

PFSENSE/OPNSENSE/PROTECTLI

They are the best

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #2,001 of 2,127
Connecting a switch to other network gear and ahead of the router bypasses the firewall, which allows easy access from outside the network, does not?
Only to the network gear connected on a WAN side of the router, not a LAN side.

If you want network device on the LAN to be accessible from the outside world, you can create demilitarised zone (DMZ) on the router for this particular device or just only open some TCP ports that is needed (recommended).

Other than that, any application that open connection to the outside is exposing computer to the attact from the same IP address for a period router keep connection active. In other words, you are never 100% safe.
:)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #2,002 of 2,127
@cpurdy do you have experience with GPON?

I need advice to buy sfp for singlemode simplex solution.

Fiber from wall ->(Simple/Single: LC/APC-LC/UPC)-> Cisco CBS220 ->(Simplex/Single: LC/UPC-SC/APC->GPON/FMC converter -> Router

I am going to see if there is any noise from the fiber box in the basement. To see if the Cisco CBS220 can "regenerate" the long distance.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #2,003 of 2,127
Just placed an order for a Melco S100/2. I think I'll be putting it in front of the LHY SW-10, not sure if I should swap it with the etherregen just yet. If I had another linear power supply, I would probably keep all 3 switches connected at the same time xD. Anyone have any experience with the Melco S100 or s100/2's?

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #2,004 of 2,127
Just placed an order for a Melco S100/2. I think I'll be putting it in front of the LHY SW-10, not sure if I should swap it with the etherregen just yet. If I had another linear power supply, I would probably keep all 3 switches connected at the same time xD. Anyone have any experience with the Melco S100 or s100/2's?
Make sure you have return policy if you get issues with its 100Mbps :wink:

I know one who has had this problem with it

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #2,005 of 2,127
Make sure you have return policy if you get issues with its 100Mbps :wink:

I know one who has had this problem with it
I agree that forcing 100Mbps on a data transfer path to a DAC/DDC is a good idea. /all segments if you have more than one/

To defeat EEE.

- You can do it on a switch. A special cable refered above does the same. It defeats EEE by using two pairs instead of four pairs required for 1Mbps connection. This is the entire secret in two pairs of wires. And the audiophile pays for two wires.

- This may exhaust bandwith if you share a cable with a high volume or burst traffic. It is why do not share traffic.

- It can be problematic if your source is PC. A second Ethernet card solve a problem assuming you don't bridge network adapters.

If all above is to complicated, forget about 100Mbps workaround and use a right solution. This is a switch with is an option to disable EEE. I think CBS220 has such option.

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #2,006 of 2,127
I agree that forcing 100Mbps on a data transfer path to a DAC/DDC is a good idea. /all segments if you have more than one/

To defeat EEE.

- You can do it on a switch. A special cable refered above does the same. It defeats EEE by using two pairs instead of four pairs required for 1Mbps connection. This is the entire secret in two pairs of wires. And the audiophile pays for two wires.

- This may exhaust bandwith if you share a cable with a high volume or burst traffic. It is why do not share traffic.

- It can be problematic if your source is PC. A second Ethernet card solve a problem assuming you don't bridge network adapters.

If all above is to complicated, forget about 100Mbps workaround and use a right solution. This is a switch with is an option to disable EEE. I think CBS220 has such option.
I agree, but I was specifically talking about the switch😊

I am very happy I can disable the EEE feature in the settings of CBS220

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #2,008 of 2,127
Thanks for the heads up. Weird that it would have problems considering it has two designated 100mbps ethernet ports and well as six 1,000mbps ports.
Alpha Audio also mention this iirc

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #2,009 of 2,127
Alpha Audio also mention this iirc
It is in the video I posted earlier in the thread about QoS where he test fiber vs ethernet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back