The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #2,026 of 2,127
I use these as the last point before my rig. Generic GTeck feeding the other end at the switch.

I see. I tried optical isolation at source/LAN, which I still have. However if my findings shows that improving WAN side makes a greater impact, then I will treat the whole LAN network as the “streamer source” pure RJ45. Not only a source/streamer.

GPON OLT SFP is not the normal SFP. Normal sfp can not communicate/link at OLT level. It is ONLY for the WAN side this SFP will be used.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #2,027 of 2,127
I see. I tried optical isolation at source/LAN, which I still have. However if my findings shows that improving WAN side makes a greater impact, then I will treat the whole LAN network as the “streamer source” pure RJ45. Not only a source/streamer.

GPON OLT SFP is not the normal SFP. Normal sfp can not communicate/link at OLT level. It is ONLY for the WAN side this SFP will be used.
I had a battle in the past on this with @camrector. Maybe you remember from this or the other thread. My point was to identify a biggest source of noise and fight such noise at the source. Not closest to a DAC, as once is already converted to EMI and create multiple path, it makes it more difficult to deal with.

I take this as a rule, adopted from the engineering industry, large installations of machinery with multiple electric motors, etc. Solved a situation where electronic control devices tripped occasionally for no reason, causing emergency stop of the entire conveyor. Technicians were helpless. There seem to be no cure, replacing individual modules and even the entire control device didn't help.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #2,028 of 2,127

Are you suggesting I should place this at the switch and GTech at the rig end? Isn’t the Finisar the quieter of the SFP modules?

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #2,029 of 2,127
I take this as a rule, adopted from the engineering industry, large installations of machinery with multiple electric motors, etc. Solved a situation where electronic control devices tripped occasionally for no reason, causing emergency stop of the entire conveyor. Technicians were helpless. There seem to be no cure, replacing individual modules and even the entire control device didn't help.
As a retired designer of industrial automation I agree with you. Induced emi is a hard problem and it can affect the signals over the fibre.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #2,030 of 2,127
Are you suggesting I should place this at the switch and GTech at the rig end? Isn’t the Finisar the quieter of the SFP modules?

My understandings below….
You should not use this on the LAN side. I don’t even know if it works on my 1. switch on the WAN(I will have 2 if it works). If it does not work I will have to buy a EPON or OEO repeater. Reason for choosing CBS220 is the sound signature.

OLT is the light(wavelength 1310nm 1490nm, and for CATV 1550nm) before it is being converted by ONT to RJ45(in the GPON unit)

By this OLT method: reclocking, regenerating, reshaping first on the WAN side, and a LAN side that is pure DATA no clocks afaiu. The sound will be pristine on the LAN…all my assumptions I don’t even know if it works yet. It is all a risk. I will still have a CBS220(3rd) on LAN to boost the analog signature from the Router/RJ45

I know that in my system isolating/SFP before the router is bigger than the isolation/sfp on the LAN side. SFP adds latency, I don’t wan’t that on the LAN side. RJ45 should still beat it….

For this to work(optical isolation before router) you need a good router with SFP input. To isolate the power/noise, only reason

My netgate 2100 was a big surprise. It beats a lot of switches and even beat a audiophile switch. The secret must be the Marvell chipset, somehow.

@sajunky I agree 100% the closer you can get to the source of the WAN, the better.

My method above will only apply for those who have fiber on the wall outlet.

For copper I would suggest the optical isolation before the router anyway though! The sound will come through any good routers(with sfp input)!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,031 of 2,127
As a retired designer of industrial automation I agree with you. Induced emi is a hard problem and it can affect the signals over the fibre.
Thanks, also retired. Actually my industrial experience is only during first few years of a forced labour (paying out for a scholarhip), I hated a constant pressure, moved later on...

In this case, it probably goes through the power lines and a mains fuse box. This is the place where grounding is the most important and filters should be applied as well. Fiber in the place of deployment breaks a ground loop on the long path. Generated EMI is proportional to the surface area.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #2,033 of 2,127
I've had a Network Audio Muon on loan from a friend for over a week now. I tried it at the audio end, between my EtherRegen and exaSound PlayPoint renderer, playing files from my NAS. The difference was so subtle that it took me a few days to figure out what it was doing to the sound. In the end I determined it was slightly veiled and rounded the transients, smoothing the sound. I must emphasize, this was extremely subtle. Obviously not a worthwhile purchase for me. Maybe it would work for someone with an overly bright system, but the cost is daunting.

I had been disappointed with the sound of Qobuz, so I tried to improve it by inserting various combinations of three ethernet filters (Muon, LAN iSilencer and eBay filter), alone and in pairs, upstream and downstream from my router. Adding the Muon alone, between my router and switch was a clear improvement. Fortunately, I don't need to add an expensive Muon. I was able to achieve the same level of performance achieved with the Muon by inserting the eBay filter ahead of the router, and the iSilencer upstream of the N8 switch.

I have been listening to Qobuz with no thought that it is lacking. Qobuz is very close to the sound quality from my NAS, close enough that I can only tell which is playing by direct comparison.
Muon: highly detailed, bass a bit imprecise, smooths the sound, voluminous soundstage
LAN iSilencer: highly detailed, bright sound, emphasizes sibilants, tight but light bass range, shallow soundstage (upfront presentation)
eBay filter: lacks microdetail, warm & smooth highs, big bass but a bit flabby, good soundstage
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/232318518946
The eBay filter and iSilencer, used together in the right location, are an awesome value!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,035 of 2,127
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #2,036 of 2,127
It's not about data loss. We agree, the bits arrive as they should, otherwise there would be a dropout or massive distortion. The explanation is on the UpTone Audio website, from an expert in silicon chip design and a leader in the field of network audio, which you are clearly not.

cpurdy: "It boggles my mind that people could be using "dedicated streamers" that have so little buffer space that they are converting UDP packets in real time into audio. Seriously, 1990 called and wants its archaic technology back."

"Q. Some music renderer endpoints have software or hardware buffers, as do the USB or Ethernet interfaces of some DACs. Do the effects of upstream phase-noise and leakage still impact these?

A. Buffers by themselves do not block phase-noise overlay. As long as there is input data (such as in most USB endpoint buffers) the ground-plane noise from the data still enters the DAC’s ground-plane whether there is a buffer there or not. In addition, this phase-noise overlay also occurs inside the buffer itself, plus the input clocks on both the input and output side are subject to the threshold affects of noise on the ground-plane AND on the ground wires inside the buffer chip. So small buffers with data going in and out don't really make much of a difference, and if not done just right can actually make things worse. USB systems usually have a very small buffer, and since there is always data coming in while data is going out, phase-noise overlay from incoming data is still a factor. Even if the buffer after the USB receiver is large, there are always a fair amount of USB packets still on the bus. The only way that goes away is to completely close down the USB connection."
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386
You're taking this a bit too personally, but simultaneously you are assuming that a company that is trying to make money selling ridiculously over-priced antique electronic equipment using (literally) unbelievable claims and imaginary technical words is somehow completely objective 🤣

However, to keep this as objective as possible: It's been over 30 years since I have done any silicon chip design work, and I am not a leader in the field of network audio. You have successfully called me out, and I am every bit the fraud that you assumed that I was. Other than the part where I didn't actually claim to be designing silicon chips or leading the field of network audio.

Of course, outside of this particular thread, I've never even seen the name UpTone Audio, so my guess is that they are also similarly fraudulent, in that they are neither designing silicon chips nor leading the field of network audio.

Now let's get into the Q&A:

Buffers by themselves do not block phase-noise overlay.
I'm not sure what phase noise overlay is. I know what phase noise is, and I suppose that the use of the term "overlay" here refers to the possibility of more than one phase noise source, which is not an unreasonable use of the term if you are trying to describe the visual output on an oscilloscope to a child, for example.

As long as there is input data (such as in most USB endpoint buffers) the ground-plane noise from the data still enters the DAC’s ground-plane whether there is a buffer there or not.
This is a soup of words, but I think what they're trying to say here is that "sending information over cables doesn't eliminate ground plane noise". That's not an unreasonable statement. If your ground plane does not have any noise, then you are living in some alternative universe. Ground plane noise is quite literally unavoidable, which is why people go to university for more than a few years to learn how to design electronic circuits.

In addition, this phase-noise overlay also occurs inside the buffer itself, plus the input clocks on both the input and output side are subject to the threshold affects of noise on the ground-plane AND on the ground wires inside the buffer chip.
This meaningless jumble of words is probably where the story falls apart. I'm not even sure where to start dissecting it, but let's go through it:

* "this phase-noise overlay also occurs inside the buffer itself" So what? That has no effect on the data in the buffer.

* "the input clocks on both the input and output side are subject to the threshold affects of noise on the ground-plane" So what? The clocks are oscillators which (a) aren't impacted by that noise (which is why we use crystal oscillators etc. in the first place) and (b) do not generate phase noise (materials are selected for oscillators based on this specific property, i.e. a single dominant phase). See for example: Quartz. No, really, look it up!

* "the input clocks on both the input and output side are subject to the threshold affects of noise [..] on the ground wires inside the buffer chip." That's the same ground. Perhaps they should have listed a few dozen other places where that ground is used? 🤣 That is what a ground is! 🤣 (But note that ADCs and DACs will generally use two separate grounds, i.e. electronically isolated within a larger system, with one on the digital side and one on the analog side. See the TI links at the end of this response for some visual examples.)

So small buffers with data going in and out don't really make much of a difference, and if not done just right can actually make things worse.
It is true that we used small buffers up until the 1980s and even early 1990s. Back when you could see transistors with the naked eye.

As I said previously, the 1990s called and want their antiquated technology back.

As far as "can actually make things worse", that statement is meaningless without additional information. The reason that buffers are and were required is that without them, there is no data. 🤷‍♂️

Years ago, we could get by with tiny buffers (as small as 2 bits per line) because (drum roll) we had extremely dependable oscillating clocks. USB and Ethernet need much larger buffers, because of (i) packetization and (ii) support for mismatched clock rates.

USB systems usually have a very small buffer, and since there is always data coming in while data is going out, phase-noise overlay from incoming data is still a factor. Even if the buffer after the USB receiver is large, there are always a fair amount of USB packets still on the bus. The only way that goes away is to completely close down the USB connection."
There's no such thing as a USB system. A USB transceiver chip may have a relatively small buffer (perhaps in the low kilobits size range). For example, TI documents it thusly:
"The receiver contains an elastic buffer used to compensate for differences in frequencies between bit rates at the two ends of a link. The elastic buffer must be capable of holding enough symbols to handle worst case differences in frequency and worst case intervals between SKP ordered sets. A SKP order set is a set of symbols transmitted as a group. The SKP ordered sets allows the receiver to adjust the data stream being received to prevent the elastic buffer from either overflowing or under-flowing due to any clock tolerance differences"
That particular chip (the 1310 model) is 15 years old now, so we're not talking about some new invention.

But let's cut to the chase: The claim from the "expert in silicon chip design and a leader in the field of network audio" is that noise can come over a wire, even USB or network, and that noise will come out as part of the analog signal from the DAC. Because (hear me out, because this part is bleeding obvious) the electrical engineers designing the DAC had absolutely no idea that electrical noise in the system was even a remote possibility, because they have never heard of USB or clocks or networks or ground planes. 🤣

Yeah, I find that all a little hard to believe, too.

I don't work for TI, but they're nice enough to have published a few little papers on this topic (which I hadn't seen before, but they look pretty easy to digest for a lay-person, which obviously I am, being a fraud 😉): https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt499/slyt499.pdf (part 1) and https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt512/slyt512.pdf (part 2)

Just to be 100% clear though: I'm not claiming that it's impossible for a DAC to have noise in its output that comes from its ground plane. I think most well designed DACs of the past decade will not have any perceivable noise in their output that comes from their ground plane (indicated by the noise floor measurement, subject to the explanation of measurement noise here: https://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-001.pdf). But there will always be noise, and it will always be measurable with precise measurement devices, until Congress repeals the laws of thermodynamics.

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #2,037 of 2,127
I was about to comment but realised that I’ve accidentally stumbled into the science thread.

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #2,038 of 2,127
I was about to comment but realised that I’ve accidentally stumbled into the science thread.
You stepped in a territory that involves 0 and 1s....surprised?

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #2,039 of 2,127
You stepped in a territory that involves 0 and 1s....surprised?
Actually, it's a thread where we are supposed to "Share your listening experience only." For those of us who actually have listening experiences to share.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #2,040 of 2,127
I think my switch sounds great. Buy it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back