The Essential Rock & Metal Headphone & Gear Appreciation Thread!!! Fans Unite!!
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #46 of 71
Great thread! Can't believe as a metal fan I haven't found my way here before!

Lots of new stuff to check out here too... Especially in the stoner metal line, which I'm starting to get into in a big way.

Anyways, in terms of my headphones, I've enjoyed these for metal:

GS1000i
RS1
HE-6
T5p
HD800
HD25-1 II

Driven well I'd probably rate the HE-6 the best of these for my ears.

Didn't enjoy with metal so much:
Ed 8
Sig Pro
LCD2
W3000ANV
HD650

Sources: Audio-GD Reference 10 on desktop, Galaxy Note 2 with various portable DAC/amp combos (RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico, Apex Glacier, Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII).

Leave you guys with some stuff I like that hasn't been mentioned here yet:

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #47 of 71
So many great discoveries to be made here, keep em' coming! I'll contribute with a few more:

Sithu Aye, check out the rest of his stuff too, great progressive music!

Some folk metal, Eluveitie:

This is a bit more cheesy and cliché "soft" metalcore, but I'm digging these guys and they're pretty new. Mutiny Within:

I was going to stop here but I guess I have to make up the last song with something heavier so please, have some Dagoba
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #50 of 71
I don't like the LCD2 at all for metal. I adore it for some stuff, but not most metal. Most metal has a fair amount of treble energy, which the LCD2 doesn't reproduce well - as a guitarist metal doesn't 'sound right' on the LCD2. Much prefer my HE-6 there.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #51 of 71
Quote:
I don't like the LCD2 at all for metal. I adore it for some stuff, but not most metal. Most metal has a fair amount of treble energy, which the LCD2 doesn't reproduce well - as a guitarist metal doesn't 'sound right' on the LCD2. Much prefer my HE-6 there.

Rev.1, I assume as Rev.2 is quite energetic in treble, anything more would be a shrill.

EDIT: Never mind, your profile says that you own rev.2.
confused.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

I need to use DSP on the Foobar to let out the treble on the LCD2r2, same as you i prefer the HFM (HE-500) for metal music and the DT880/600 ohm with a slight margin, but nevertheless both LCD2r2 and HFM have an excellent timber and PRaT

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

I need to use DSP on the Foobar to let out the treble on the LCD2r2, same as you i prefer the HFM (HE-500) for metal music and the DT880/600 ohm with a slight margin, but nevertheless both LCD2r2 and HFM have an excellent timber and PRaT

I actually haven't tried applying a little EQ to the treble while listening to the LCD-2 for metal, interesting thought and something I will get around to trying out. I have enough headphones that I just tend to go to the one that fits best for me with the genre I'm listening to, rather than messing around with EQ.

No doubt the LCD-2 is a fantastic headphone, I'm not saying otherwise, just that I don't think metal is one of its strengths and there are a number of other headphones that do metal better to my ear. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #54 of 71
Quote:

I actually haven't tried applying a little EQ to the treble while listening to the LCD-2 for metal, interesting thought and something I will get around to trying out. I have enough headphones that I just tend to go to the one that fits best for me with the genre I'm listening to, rather than messing around with EQ.

No doubt the LCD-2 is a fantastic headphone, I'm not saying otherwise, just that I don't think metal is one of its strengths and there are a number of other headphones that do metal better to my ear. 

Try this http://foosion.foobar2000.org/components/?id=delta

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #55 of 71

I had the same opinion until I tried the Rev.2 with the Mjolnir.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #56 of 71
Quote:
I had the same opinion until I tried the Rev.2 with the Mjolnir.

From what I've read about the Mjolnir it has quite a forward sound, so perhaps for aggressive music it is a better pairing for the LCD-2 than others?

I'm running mine off the Audio-GD Reference 10, so I don't think a case can be made that I'm not driving the LCD-2 well, but the Audio-GD is an exceptionally transparent DAC/amp - it won't be doing anything to change the natural sound of the LCD-2, so perhaps it isn't quite as apt a pairing for aggressive music. Prior to that I was running the ASUS Xonar Essence One, which has quite a forward sound, and still didn't like them for metal (of course the ASUS isn't in the same league as the Mjolnir or Reference 10).

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #57 of 71
Quote:
From what I've read about the Mjolnir it has quite a forward sound, so perhaps for aggressive music it is a better pairing for the LCD-2 than others?

For my musical tastes, the Mjolnir is the best amplifiers that I have heard with the Audeze headphones.  (My DAC is the Oppo BDP-105 with the Sabre ES9018)

I'm listening Dream Theater - Trains Of Thought on my LCD-3 and the electric guitars are nice and crunchy with a lot of presence.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

For my musical tastes, the Mjolnir is the best amplifiers that I have heard with the Audeze headphones.  (My DAC is the Oppo BDP-105 with the Sabre ES9018)

I'm listening Dream Theater - Trains Of Thought on my LCD-3 and the electric guitars are nice and crunchy with a lot of presence.

Nice!!! My favorite DT album...I can just imagine Endless Sacrifice on those bad boys....

More Ultrasone love for me to wind down the day....

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #59 of 71
listening to lots of prog/metal, ayreon, dream theater, yes, rush, jethro tull, seventh wonder, symphony x, etc., etc. on my new he-400s with my magni, and i've never enjoyed my music so much. even my gf loves them, because they sound even better with some good classics like hotel california and rumours or pretty much anything live or acoustic. +1 hifimanfan! also, my v-moda m80's also treat me pretty well when i need some headphones to help me do yardwork/cleaning/cooking/grocery shopping.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #60 of 71
I am here now to re awaken the demons! 
I too am rocking the SE215, and they work pretty well for now as I slowly work my way up. Can't get enough of my Opeth, Meshuggah, Wintersun (especially in my 668b 
L3000.gif
 ) TesseracT, Angel Vivaldi, Dream Theater, All Shall Perish, ABR!

Yes I am happy.

Edit: Silly me gotta flaunt my crazy taste a little.

One of my favorite bands.

My latest crush. Been on repeat daily for the past month. Simply love this dudes voice.

InstruMetal
ksc75smile.gif
 btw This is my vid I made & uploaded why I found this song wasn't on youtube already.
cool.gif

The dudes work brightens my day.

Last but not least! Nuf said
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back