The Entry Level Stax Thread
Oct 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #646 of 3,322
  Newbie Stax question:

What is bias?
What is normal bias--?

bias...is when u say the stax is better than the hd800.
normal bias...is when u say the stax is better than the hd800 after two weeks.

deadhorse.gif

pro-bias....is when u say that BEFORE u gotten the stax..?

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #647 of 3,322

deadhorse.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #648 of 3,322

deadhorse.gif

LOL-Your Funny--No MORE MUSIC FOR YOU-GO TO YOUR ROOM
Harry-dont forget to take your meds-OK?

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #649 of 3,322
i am getting a blast listening to CALMradio-FLAMENCO on ITUNE...
all the guitar maestros are there, whew...no staxs gonna kill my he6..no way...
dun get me into the stax stuff, i dun wanna be selling the ton of tubes i just bot.
Mike...stop pm-ing me about how great your stax sounds...
driving me nuts..i need to pop another mullard/3mica/3Lithium stuff  to calm my nerves.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #650 of 3,322
  I will leave the bias response to the more experienced folks that can answer it right.

Normal bias is 6 pin on the plug, been discontinued for a very very long time in favour of pro-bias 5 pin. All modern electrostats are pro-bias. Normal bias operates at 230v and pro bias 580v (earlier late 60's to early 70's units operate on various normal-bias voltage that spritzer, milos or nerdling can answer, evident with the SR-1-3 units).

You can run pro-bias stats on normal bias amplifiers but no the other way around. 

Yeah-got it now.
Def--what Stax are you using,currently

Tnx
Mike

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #651 of 3,322
  i am getting a blast listening to CALMradio-FLAMENCO on ITUNE...
all the guitar maestros are there, whew...no staxs gonna kill my he6..no way...
dun get me into the stax stuff, i dun wanna be selling the ton of tubes i just bot.
Mike...stop pm-ing me about how great your stax sounds...
driving me nuts..i need to pop another mullard/3mica/3Lithium stuff  to calm my nerves.
biggrin.gif

stax-stax-stax-stax
soon you will be seeing , tubes in your soup
mullard makes Prozac now--matched pills-you will get good readings

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #652 of 3,322
The Force is getting stronger....i might jusssssst succummmmb . 
But first to check out the tungsol that just arrived. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #654 of 3,322
I have been browsing this thread (read about twenty pages) and didn't find too many recent posts regarding the Koss ESP-950 vs. the SRS-2170. If there are some posts, I apologize!

I am debating about getting the Koss currently, but someone recommended the SRS-2170 to me.

Here is what I have heard about the ESP-950s: 

Bass slam/impact is the most out of basically any electrostatic headphones
Mid-forward headphones
The bass extension rolls off
The upper end also rolls off

Is this accurate? What should I expect as far as differences in the two headphone systems? I plan to use the amps that come with each one, so keep that in mind.

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #655 of 3,322
  I have been browsing this thread (read about twenty pages) and didn't find too many recent posts regarding the Koss ESP-950 vs. the SRS-2170. If there are some posts, I apologize!

I am debating about getting the Koss currently, but someone recommended the SRS-2170 to me.

Mid-forward headphones

Is this accurate? What should I expect as far as differences in the two headphone systems? I plan to use the amps that come with each one, so keep that in mind.

Have tried looking here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/581491/koss-esp-950-thread

Might be someone in there ,who compared both set-ups???

Mike

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #656 of 3,322

Mid-forward headphones

Koer,
After a little bit of searching ,found this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671509/stax-srs-2170-vs-koss-esp-950

Hope this helps
Mike

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #657 of 3,322
  Koer,

Hope this helps
Mike

I have read through quite a bit of the ESP-950's thread, and the second link I've also seen. The only opinion inside of that thread is that of someone who said "It's been too long since I've had an ESP950 here so it's hard to comment on the difference."

I was hoping that other people inside this thread might know the actual difference (or at least a more recent listen to each one). I plan to ask the same question inside the ESP-950's thread as well.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #658 of 3,322

Koer,

Hope this helps
Mike

I have read through quite a bit of the ESP-950's thread, and the second link I've also seen. The only opinion inside of that thread is that of someone who said "It's been too long since I've had an ESP950 here so it's hard to comment on the difference."

I was hoping that other people inside this thread might know the actual difference (or at least a more recent listen to each one). I plan to ask the same question inside the ESP-950's thread as well.

How does the Koss ESP950 compare to the entry-level STAX SRS-2170, which can be found for a whopping $400 USD cheaper, new?

They each have their strengths and weaknesses...

The ESP950 have better bass impact and more upfront midrange, but I feel that the 2170 has more detail, better highs and larger soundstage. Feel that 2170 has more of a flat even response but 950's are more fun.

Comfort wise personally I prefer the 207 as they allow for more movement and have better pads (950's can't swivel at all and has cheap vinyl pads) but 950's are lighter and is slightly more roomier inside the pads.

Build quality wise, no question, 2170 is miles better than the 950 system. But then again, do consider that the 950 system has lifetime no question asked warranty while 2170 only has a year, and is tricky to claim here in N. America unless you buy it here through Yamas in which case it becomes a lot more expensive.

The 950's also have a unique advantage in that it's design allows it to be easily transportable... It comes with a good carrying bag, headphones are modular in design so it can be separated into three pieces, and E90 amp can even be powered by a battery pack that it comes with.

So it really depends on a lot of factors on what your needs are. If I had to choose one right now I'd prefer the 2170 system as they're comfier (to me anyway, may differ for others), has flatter response and is cheaper to get new, but others may value the 950's more for their more involving sound and excellent warranty policy (plus 950 system can often be had for much cheaper than MSRP if you look around).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back