The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jun 29, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,926 of 3,322
you will get sound. But the six pin units are the wrong voltage. Your headphones would be severely under powered.
What kind of price range are you looking at? Mjolnir Audio has refurbished and modded SRM-1 Mk2 (PRO bias added to one socket, recapped, cleaned) for $500 (plus shipping) and an absolutely mint SRD-7 Mk2 PRO for $410 (plus shipping.)

https://mjolnir-audio.com/used-amplifiers/

Shipping from Iceland is not exactly cheap though...
Thanks, I just saw that they also made pro versions of the SRD7, might go that route and grab a speaker amp since it's cheaper than most Stax amps.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #2,927 of 3,322
Thanks, I just saw that they also made pro versions of the SRD7, might go that route and grab a speaker amp since it's cheaper than most Stax amps.

The quality of the speaker amp will determine the sound quality you get from the setup, SRD-7 is great with excellent 2-channel system amp that is warm tilted... can bring better low end and dynamics to the sound compared to the STAX solid state drivers, but clarity, speed, and details are basically no different. If you already have a good high-end stereo amp it would be cheaper, but if not an SRM-323S would be significantly less than an SRD-7 + good entry level high-end quality 2-channel amp.

I'd go with a used SRM--323S or SRM-353X STAX driver unless you can find a good used warm leaning high end stereo amp for cheap or are willing to go with a new amp in the $1k+ range. The differences between the SRM-323S and my Mjolnir SRD-7 + NAD C 275BEE amp setup are noticeable, but not 'huge'...speed and clarity are no different, details minimally different. What you get with the NAD C275BEE is slightly improved low end extension with a more noticeable impact, better dynamics, and a fuller sound.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,928 of 3,322
The quality of the speaker amp will determine the sound quality you get from the setup, SRD-7 is great with excellent 2-channel system amp that is warm tilted... can bring better low end and dynamics to the sound compared to the STAX solid state drivers, but clarity, speed, and details are basically no different. If you already have a good high-end stereo amp it would be cheaper, but if not an SRM-323S would be significantly less than an SRD-7 + good entry level high-end quality 2-channel amp.

I'd go with a used SRM--323S or SRM-353X STAX driver unless you can find a good used warm leaning high end stereo amp for cheap or are willing to go with a new amp in the $1k+ range. The differences between the SRM-323S and my Mjolnir SRD-7 + NAD C 275BEE amp setup are noticeable, but not 'huge'...speed and clarity are no different, details minimally different. What you get with the NAD C275BEE is slightly improved low end extension with a more noticeable impact, better dynamics, and a fuller sound.
Do you know how the SRM-313 compares to the 323 or 353 because I think I can get a good deal on one? As for the speaker amp, I was looking at the Emotiva A-100.

Jun 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #2,929 of 3,322
I have not heard an SRM-313, sorry. The Emotiva A-100 should work well, but I believe it's a more forward/intense sounding amp than something like the C275BEE, but it's a great price. The great thing about SRD-7 based system is you can try out different amps and see what kind of amp suits your sound preference best.

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #2,930 of 3,322
I have not heard an SRM-313, sorry. The Emotiva A-100 should work well, but I believe it's a more forward/intense sounding amp than something like the C275BEE, but it's a great price. The great thing about SRD-7 based system is you can try out different amps and see what kind of amp suits your sound preference best.
Do you happen to know the difference between the MiniX and BasX A100 models? I know the BasX is newer and has the added headphone jack, but is there any changes in sound? Thanks

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,931 of 3,322
Finally I've received my L300LE + 353XBK today.
How on Earth do you guys deal with the damn thing sitting like a triangle on top of your head?
It's not touching the bottom of my head at all.

To negate that effect I started fitting my Vesper Audio pads but stuff happened and I'm in contact with them, shall have to see how that works out.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #2,933 of 3,322
Finally I've received my L300LE + 353XBK today.
How on Earth do you guys deal with the damn thing sitting like a triangle on top of your head?
It's not touching the bottom of my head at all.

To negate that effect I started fitting my Vesper Audio pads but stuff happened and I'm in contact with them, shall have to see how that works out.
Post a pic of them on your head. Something is goofy.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,934 of 3,322
Anyone here want to help me out with some purchase considerations?

I have the option of either getting a new in box SR-303 for $360 or importing a new SR-L300 for $420.

What do I do?
WHAT DO I DO?

I like that the L300 don't glue on the earpads anymore.
They look a little more modern...I guess.
I've read a couple of posts about the headband snapping, though maybe they were using those preposterous custom earpads some insist on using.
Shallow earpads?

The 303 were the mid-level of their range, while the L300 are the entry level of their range.
(I mean, we're talking pretty damned expensive earphones here, I feel almost decadent calling the L300 entry level but relative to their product range that's what they are)
I kind of like the poop brown colour of the 303...
The 303 was originally matched from Stax with the SRM-313, which I have.
Used 303s have gone for faaar less than $360, but these are new.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #2,935 of 3,322

I have the option of either getting a new in box SR-303 for $360 or importing a new SR-L300 for $420.

What do I do?
WHAT DO I DO?

I've read a couple of posts about the headband snapping, though maybe they were using those preposterous custom earpads some insist on using.
Shallow earpads?

The 303 were the mid-level of their range, while the L300 are the entry level of their range.
(I mean, we're talking pretty damned expensive earphones here, I feel almost decadent calling the L300 entry level but relative to their product range that's what they are)

Unless you got a small head don't get the L300.
I had to order the L700 arc because L300 one is too small.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #2,938 of 3,322
Still waiting for it to arrive, sadly.
Some people swear by it though.

I have an SRS-5100 kit in my office (the only place I really get time to listen to music these days, kids amirite!? :beyersmile:)
and I can wear them literally all day without issue.

The L300 or 303 is intended to replace my ageing Lambda Pro.
It has gotten dust in the driver and the noise is driving me insane.
So what I really want is the best possible dust protection, call me paranoid.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #2,940 of 3,322

What do I do?
WHAT DO I DO?

Shallow earpads?

L300. But I’d save up for the L700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back