The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #2,417 of 3,322
Im looking for a headphone with precise imaging and ultra wide soundstage.I asked this question in the "Suggestions" area and a cpl members suggested Stax.

Headphones don't image as music is typically not made for them. Soundstage is a perception of the 3-7 kHz frequencies. Stax models are flatter than not so soundstage is much less present than DF compensated headphones. You can always jack up the soundstage with the ED-1 filter implemented in parametric EQ.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #2,418 of 3,322
  Headphones don't image as music is typically not made for headphones. Soundstage is a perception of the 3-7 kHz frequencies. Stax models are flatter than not so soundstage is much less present than DF compensated headphones. You can always jack up the soundstage with the ED-1 filter implemented in parametric EQ.

My headphone listening system isnt computer based and i have zero experience with a parametric EQ,instead I use an old Sansui analog EQ,perhaps not the most accurate but it works for me.

Regardless,getting into a Stax system has me intrigued and is def on my radar,but right now even the deal the previous poster is offering is above what my wife is willing to allow me to spend before she castrates me :frowning2:

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,420 of 3,322
Here is a dumb(?) question....
confused.gif

Is the sound signature of E-Stats in general,similar to what you hear in the AKG K340?

Yep,I realize the K340 is a hybrid,and not a very good one at that TBH....when I try to listen to most of my music with my K340s its just not a very good listen,but if I try them with a very specific type of music("Diamonds and Rust"-Joan Baez) they actually sound very nice....

So is what im hearing with my K340s on acoustic/female vocals with no lower end involved similar to the Stax sound?

And im assuming that the Stax signature wouldnt limit me to just female vocals,correct?

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #2,421 of 3,322
  Woohoo!

My "new" STAX system is finally complete.

Cost less than  a lot of high end dynamic HPs.

Sound is on a par with my "twice as expensive" dynamic HPs and amp.

Tell your wife it;'s saving money. You know, buy well, buy once.

It has been a long journey for you...congrats!!

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,423 of 3,322
I might be onto the headphone equivelant to a "barn find"

Was speaking to my HiFi dealer today and he mentioned he had 'these high end headphones in his basement" he hadnt used for years.

"Stax"?

"Yeah thats them...i will check to see if they still work,if they do I will sell em to you cheap"

Keeping my fingers crossed,but still breathing.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,425 of 3,322
need help,
which one should I choose..
STAX SRS-2170 or
Hifiman he-1000

I like accoustic song, orchestra and sometimes pop song.
I like crisp treble, full detail and wide soundstage.

Thanks,
Joe

I have the SR 207 system, and I would recommend it highly. I have simular taste in music, acoustic, female vocals ect, I have only auditioned the HE1000 at a meet once, sounded fantastic, however, considering it was also attached to an expensive amp, the Stax is going to be much cheaper.

James

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #2,426 of 3,322
Thanks for your reply..
Yes, STAX is cheaper than He-1000. Almost half the price of HE-1000.
One more question, how about STAX SR2170 vs Hifiman Edition X in terms of treble detail and soundstage..

Thanks,
Joe

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #2,427 of 3,322
  need help,
which one should I choose..
STAX SRS-2170 or
Hifiman he-1000

I like accoustic song, orchestra and sometimes pop song.
I like crisp treble, full detail and wide soundstage.

Thanks,
Joe

I went the used option for my first STAX setup.
An old SRM1 mk2 PRO amp and some 404SE headphones.
Cost less than a second-hand pair of HEK. (Whick would need a decent amp to do them justice)
Treble is crisp and detail is amazing.
Soundstage is modest in size but outstanding for accuracy / instrument separation.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #2,428 of 3,322

I went the used option for my first STAX setup.
An old SRM1 mk2 PRO amp and some 404SE headphones.
Cost less than a second-hand pair of HEK. (Whick would need a decent amp to do them justice)
Treble is crisp and detail is amazing.
Soundstage is modest in size but outstanding for accuracy / instrument separation.

This pretty much mimics my impression of my 2170 system.Great detail, also exciting and enjoyable.

I would add 2 things:
In addition to the laser-like imaging, the 2170 has the most "3D" imaging I've ever experienced. Sounds can come from directly over my head or halfway down my shoulder blade. In other words, the Soundstage is spherical, not cylinder-shaped like most headphones.
Sheer bass volume is pleasing enough, but die-hard bassheads may want more. There's more bass rumble out of X2 or TH-X00, but make no mistake, Stax still does EDM well. Bass extension is very good.

2170 and X00 are my long-term pairing, and I don't see that changing anytime soon :)

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #2,430 of 3,322
The TH-X00 is a really great headphone that compliments the SRS-2170. : )

You, sir, are a wise man :)

/salute

P.S. I listen to mostly EDM, specifically Deadmau5 on Tidal HiFi. For an example of the "3D" imaging I'm speaking of, listen to "My Pet Coelacanth". There are certain times in the song that sound effects shoot up and out from your head........and I swear he's trying to recreate his mouse-head mascot with sound waves :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back