The Entry Level Stax Thread
Sep 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #2,311 of 3,322
  I bought a SR-009  from Japan two years ago, and the right channel is bad.

I Sent a message to STAX USA on their web site, stating they were out of warranty, and bought in Japan. That was a few days ago, and I have not heard back.

I have read on the web that STAX USA will not service them.  Is this true?

Do the headphones have a serial number?  Can they tell if they were sold in Japan, and not the USA?

What do I do?

Here's a thread about this issue: http://www.head-fi.org/t/555908/stax-sr-009-channel-imbalance-trouble-driver-problem

As I understand it, you need to send it back to the dealer you bought it from. Try getting in touch with them. Since it's out of warranty, you may need to pay extra to have it repaired or replaced.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,313 of 3,322
  I know I have to pay for the repair.

I bought the SR-009 from PriceJapan.

Do I have to send it back to PriceJapan or STAX Japan?

Can I get it fixed in the USA?

Oh, you need to send it back to PJ, who then send it to STAX, who then send it back to PJ, who then send it back to you. (At least that's how it works within the warranty period. I'm assuming it would be the same now.) This process can take weeks or months. Unfortunately, the manager of PJ was hospitalized recently and has been unresponsive as of late. Hopefully you'll be able to work something out there. I don't know what workarounds there are or what options there are in the US.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,314 of 3,322
So STAX USA will not do out of warranty repairs, on unit bought outside USA.

Is this a fact?

IF this is true STAX USA is a big prick, and I am not sure I would do business with them in the future.

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,315 of 3,322
  So STAX USA will not do out of warranty repairs, on unit bought outside USA.

Is this a fact?

IF this is true STAX USA is a big prick, and I am not sure I would do business with them in the future.

The company that owns staxusa.com is not actually STAX; they're just an authorized distributor, Yama's Enterprises, Inc. I believe they normally send the products to STAX in Japan for service. They should be willing to work something out with you. I do know of others who have gotten out-of-warranty service via them. Just be persistent in contacting them about this. If that fails for whatever reason, you can consult another distributor, Elusive Disc. But first, talk to PJ.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #2,317 of 3,322

The company that owns staxusa.com is not actually STAX; they're just an authorized distributor, Yama's Enterprises, Inc. I believe they normally send the products to STAX in Japan for service. They should be willing to work something out with you. I do know of others who have gotten out-of-warranty service via them. Just be persistent in contacting them about this. If that fails for whatever reason, you can consult another distributor, Elusive Disc. But first, talk to PJ.

The PJ website says they will handle out of warranty repair.

I guess they are the "go to" place for me.

I will send them an Email.

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #2,320 of 3,322
popcorn.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #2,321 of 3,322
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_FJVIxZD4[/video]

I like the direction of its sound signature so far! It reminds me of the Shure KSE1500 that I also heard at the same event, or the STAX SR-007 MKI if you only know of the STAX headphones' sounds.

It's got a warm sound signature overall with nice bass extension and presence, rich tonality in the midrange as a whole, no 2 kHz ringing like in the STAX Lambda series, and a smooth non-offensive treble region that lacks a 9-10 kHz peak that's usually found in headphones too.

Soundstage was pretty moderately-sized, but on a better amp it might be even larger, and the instrument separation was a bit fuzzy to me. It doesn't quite have the same separation as a SR-009/Blue Hawaii setup.

Talking to MrSpeakers outside of the video, he wanted to have the drivers fast like an electrostat, but not as fast as many electrostats, which he regarded as sounding too fast. This might be why I was hearing things to be really laid back and almost soft compared to my SR-207 which I also brought along.

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,322 of 3,322
Talking to MrSpeakers outside of the video, he wanted to have the drivers fast like an electrostat, but not as fast as many electrostats, which he regarded as sounding too fast. This might be why I was hearing things to be really laid back and almost soft compared to my SR-207 which I also brought along.

That reminds me...can transient response ever be too fast? I actually haven't researched this. It's generally assumed that the faster the transient response is, the closer it is to real life, but perhaps there's a point where it becomes faster than real life. You'd think this would be easy enough to measure.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #2,323 of 3,322

That reminds me...can transient response ever be too fast? I actually haven't researched this. It's generally assumed that the faster the transient response is, the closer it is to real life, but perhaps there's a point where it becomes faster than real life. You'd think this would be easy enough to measure.

It might be that a fast transient response plus some unnatural characteristic in the headphone's reproduction of the sound, e.g. grain, resonance or an unrealistic soundstage, could result in a more analytical experience than hearing the original performance.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #2,324 of 3,322
  It might be that a fast transient response plus some unnatural characteristic in the headphone's reproduction of the sound, e.g. grain, resonance or an unrealistic soundstage, could result in a more analytical experience than hearing the original performance.

Yes, of course other factors can interfere. An ideal scenario would be to have two or more headphones that were identical in as many ways as possible, but with different transient speed, and then compare those to the original sound, presumably with suitable measuring equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back