The Entry Level Stax Thread
Feb 26, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #1,981 of 3,322
Even when changing to a new headphone, acclimating, and then changing back to the old again?

I do the same thing too, i.e. my brain or ears acclimatize to a headphone.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,982 of 3,322
Sorry, I haven't actually gone on line for while......despite staying logged in to Head-Fi!
Keep this in mind when reading the rest of this post: I'm one of those guys who enjoys having and using several different headphones, I'm not a one headphone guy.

I once heard a pair of HD600, they sounded amazingly sliky, warm and mellow.
The catch is they were wired for balanced operation and were driven by an over $2,000 balanced headphone amp, I think the amplifier brand was "Headroom".
The DAC was equally expensive.
Sounds a bit crazy to get the best out of a headphone by using them with an amp costing much, much more than the headphone!

You could almost call them the opposite of the SR-207, however I would argue they both sounded detailed but the HD600 is warm where the SR-207 is neutral tending to slightly bright.
I also find the SR-207 to be a more accurate, lifelike, realistic sounding headphone; the HD600 sounds more like headphones, the SR-207 sounds more like music
Having said all that, I really enjoyed the HD600!
biggrin.gif

Heh. I agree with you about the SR-207. But by now you know that. 
cool.gif

I think some people don't believe me when I say it sounds more realistic to me than the most expensive non-electrostats.

So I guess the most logical course of action for me is to forget about everything but the 'stat game for awhile. It would still be nice to add other stuff I haven't tried yet to the collection later on—not for better sound per se, but diverse experiences.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,983 of 3,322
I think some people don't believe me when I say it sounds more realistic to me than the most expensive non-electrostats.

Personally, I believe you. We all hear different.

But I do not think you have enough experience with the "most expensive" to consistently jump all over every thread and make the comments you did. (you seemed to have slowed it a bit). There is quit a difference between living with a headphone and auditioning one.

I will refrain from commenting back if you take this as an insult, it is not intended as such. It is just a friendly reminder that an audition at a meet or at a shop is not an accurate assessment of how any headphone sounds. @gefski really summed it up best, jumping from one to another really convolutes perspective, spend a week or two with an HP and you can appreciate the subtle nuances of what it does right /wrong.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,984 of 3,322
Double post, sorry. :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,985 of 3,322
Hi all! I already went all over the internet (and all the stax threads and esp950 threads here in headfi) to see impressions about both the esp950 and SR507 and SR207. Currently I am torn between getting the Koss and the srs2170 since they are within the budget I have set for myself. I can get the Koss and the srs2170 for almost the same price and the problem is I cannot audition any of them. I did have the chance to hear the L500, L700, Sr007 and Sr009 and I liked them all and would gladly have been satisfied with the L500 if I had the money. 

Now, I would just like to ask if it will be best for me to get the srs2170 since I like the Stax sound after trying it, or should I get the ESP950 since I can get it at a bargain (compared to the MSRP $1000). So far the impression Im getting is that the ESP950 sounds like an electrostat that is quite warmer, but still quick and detailed. 

Another option is to save up some more and get the srs4170, though it will take me almost a year to do so. I don't know if the longer wait will be worth it. 

What do you guys think is the best for me? As much as I love great SQ (the SR009 kicked them all, even the orpheus I IMO), I can settle for something less as long as it hits the basic standards I have for enjoying a good listening session (I value clarity, separation, and balance the most. I am happily contented with my HD600 powered by the an O2 amp that is connected to a Fiio E10k. I just want an electrostat for my own).

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #1,986 of 3,322
  Hi all! I already went all over the internet (and all the stax threads and esp950 threads here in headfi) to see impressions about both the esp950 and SR507 and SR207. Currently I am torn between getting the Koss and the srs2170 since they are within the budget I have set for myself. I can get the Koss and the srs2170 for almost the same price and the problem is I cannot audition any of them. I did have the chance to hear the L500, L700, Sr007 and Sr009 and I liked them all and would gladly have been satisfied with the L500 if I had the money. 

Now, I would just like to ask if it will be best for me to get the srs2170 since I like the Stax sound after trying it, or should I get the ESP950 since I can get it at a bargain (compared to the MSRP $1000). So far the impression Im getting is that the ESP950 sounds like an electrostat that is quite warmer, but still quick and detailed. 

Another option is to save up some more and get the srs4170, though it will take me almost a year to do so. I don't know if the longer wait will be worth it. 

What do you guys think is the best for me? As much as I love great SQ (the SR009 kicked them all, even the orpheus I IMO), I can settle for something less as long as it hits the basic standards I have for enjoying a good listening session (I value clarity, separation, and balance the most. I am happily contented with my HD600 powered by the an O2 amp that is connected to a Fiio E10k. I just want an electrostat for my own).

What is the price you're looking at for the SRS-2170 system? It's under $500 here.

I got mine used for much less, though it was with an SRM-212 instead of the SRM-252S. (Both amps have the same specs, and, according to the person I bought the amp from, they also have the same internal circuit and sound the same.)

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,988 of 3,322
The ESP950 does not have good dust covers around the drivers, so it can develop dust issues, which you will hear as very quiet whistling or hissing sounds. This can be distracting. It does have a lifetime warranty, so you can get it replaced when it happens, but it won't happen with the Stax, because its drivers are sealed well. Just something I thought you should know.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,989 of 3,322
Hey guys. I'm learning a lot from this topic.
Nearly one year ago i actually joined you by buying stax srs-2170 system. But i was just a reader till now. Anyway due to short income, i couldnt get big upgrades but i got 12v 2a linear power supply for the amp and leather pads for ear speaker. Now system sounds like something else. Better and more extended low end. Fuller mid range, less resonant, a bit relaxed high ends... And blacker background...

I really love this thread. Really glad you started it.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,990 of 3,322
Hmm I see, so the squealing issue with the ESP950 is somehow inevitable? I'm from outside the USA so shipping the set will cost me a lot as I am financially limited. Practicality wise, the SR207 seems to be the better option. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,991 of 3,322
Yes, I think it's a safer bet to go with the Stax because of the possible dust issues with the Koss. Maybe they can be avoided by careful storage and discharging, but the risk will remain, and even knowing the problem can develop can be distracting enough. Luckily the Stax system sounds very good (my friend has it) so it's not at all a compromise.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #1,992 of 3,322
Wow. I just put the STAX back on my head. I've been pretty busy recently, so I haven't had much time to listen to music on my usual desktop rig. My gawd the sound from the SRS-2170 is beautiful. T-T

Unless I magically get to demo the SR-L700 somehow, I don't think I'll be changing my headphones for a while.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmbMOgBqdU[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back