The Entry Level Stax Thread
Feb 3, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,951 of 3,322
What does "not good enough" mean? Does it suddenly become unlistenable?

I've only heard the SR-207 using my laptop's internal DAC, which, as I mentioned, sounded the same to me as a Schiit Modi 2.

Then allow me to rephrase:
In my opinion, I did not like the SRS-2170 with the FiiO E17, I think I paid $150 for the E17 a few years ago.
In my opinion, I did like the SRS-2170 with the $400 Beresford Caiman II DAC.
In my opinion, the SRS-2170 reveals the shortcomings of cheap DACs, OTOH, it doesn't require a crazy expensive DAC.
I've never tried it driven by my laptop's internal DAC.
YMMV. :D

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,952 of 3,322
I have a receiver setup question. I have a SR-207 with a 212 amp and I plan on hooking it up to my receiver so I can listen to Vinyl. I figured I would use the phono input on my receiver, I am just not sure how to RCA hookup the Stax 212. Could someone please lay out how to set it up in easy to understand terms. I have a Technics Su-V4 amp. Let me know if there is any other info you need, pics ect. I appreciate the help, anxious to listen to my lp's through the Stax.

James

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,953 of 3,322
Then allow me to rephrase:
In my opinion, I did not like the SRS-2170 with the FiiO E17, I think I paid $150 for the E17 a few years ago.
In my opinion, I did like the SRS-2170 with the $400 Beresford Caiman II DAC.
In my opinion, the SRS-2170 reveals the shortcomings of cheap DACs, OTOH, it doesn't require a crazy expensive DAC.
I've never tried it driven by my laptop's internal DAC.
YMMV.
biggrin.gif

Well, the FiiO E17 is a portable amp/DAC, whereas the Modi 2 is a desktop DAC. So although the latter is cheaper, it's more likely to be better. (Though I can't claim that, as I've never used the FiiO.) Price isn't the only factor. It sure would be nice to get significant improvements with a higher-end DAC, though. Some of the guys who are really into high-end actually say that at a certain point, the source becomes more important than the headphones!

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,954 of 3,322
Well, the FiiO E17 is a portable amp/DAC, whereas the Modi 2 is a desktop DAC. So although the latter is cheaper, it's more likely to be better. (Though I can't claim that, as I've never used the FiiO.) Price isn't the only factor. It sure would be nice to get significant improvements with a higher-end DAC, though. Some of the guys who are really into high-end actually say that at a certain point, the source becomes more important than the headphones!

Quality digital files, delivered with as little damage as possible to a very good dac, is the foundation of a system with a realistic musical presentation. Downstream components (amps and headphones) can change the "personality" of a system in exciting and fun ways, but can never "correct or repair" damage done to the music signal upstream. Not unlike spending $ for a phono cartridge (properly set up) in a vinyl rig.

Believe me, as a limited income retired guy, I had to think a dozen times before spending the $ on a Yggy last spring. Now it's one of those rare purchases that has turned out to be a screaming bargain. Not just appreciated with the Stax rig, my HD650s now think they are "reference" cans. What fun! :D

IMOYMMV, etc.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,955 of 3,322
Quality digital files, delivered with as little damage as possible to a very good dac, is the foundation of a system with a realistic musical presentation. Downstream components (amps and headphones) can change the "personality" of a system in exciting and fun ways, but can never "correct or repair" damage done to the music signal upstream. Not unlike spending $ for a phono cartridge (properly set up) in a vinyl rig.

Believe me, as a limited income retired guy, I had to think a dozen times before spending the $ on a Yggy last spring. Now it's one of those rare purchases that has turned out to be a screaming bargain. Not just appreciated with the Stax rig, my HD650s now think they are "reference" cans. What fun!
biggrin.gif

IMOYMMV, etc.

Yeah, the Yggdrasil is on my "definitely buy" list!

As for files, I listen to just about all types of music and don't demand the best recording quality or whatever. Some of the most amazing music I've heard has sub-par production. If it's produced well too, I just consider it a bonus.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,956 of 3,322
Yeah, the Yggdrasil is on my "definitely buy" list!

As for files, I listen to just about all types of music and don't demand the best recording quality or whatever. Some of the most amazing music I've heard has sub-par production. If it's produced well too, I just consider it a bonus.

Agreed. It's about the music.

I've got quite a few "reference" lps from years ago, mint and almost never played. Guess I didn't like the music, LOL.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #1,958 of 3,322
Now what I'm really interested in is whether you would think the Yggdrasil + SR-407 (or HD 650) sounded better than, say, the Modi 2 + SR-009. :D

You got me...
I'm speechless.

But send me a Modi 2 and SR-009 for a free evaluation.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,961 of 3,322
  I have a receiver setup question. I have a SR-207 with a 212 amp and I plan on hooking it up to my receiver so I can listen to Vinyl. I figured I would use the phono input on my receiver, I am just not sure how to RCA hookup the Stax 212. Could someone please lay out how to set it up in easy to understand terms. I have a Technics Su-V4 amp. Let me know if there is any other info you need, pics ect. I appreciate the help, anxious to listen to my lp's through the Stax.

James

A pic of the back of your amp would be helpful, but probably isn't necessary. If your amp has a tape record output (used for example to record music from vinyl onto a cassette), you can connect your Stax amp to that. You may have to direct the sound to this output with a switch on the front, for example if the amp has two tape outputs. On the other hand, on some amps this output is always active. This will give you a line output, unaffected by the amp's main volume control. If there is any other 'pre out' or 'line out' on the back of the amp, you can use that too. I hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #1,962 of 3,322
A pic of the back of your amp would be helpful, but probably isn't necessary. If your amp has a tape record output (used for example to record music from vinyl onto a cassette), you can connect your Stax amp to that. You may have to direct the sound to this output with a switch on the front, for example if the amp has two tape outputs. On the other hand, on some amps this output is always active. This will give you a line output, unaffected by the amp's main volume control. If there is any other 'pre out' or 'line out' on the back of the amp, you can use that too. I hope this helps.

Here is the pic of the front and rear connection section of my receiver.
Right now I have a tuner connected and a CD player

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,965 of 3,322

So I have it all setup, first time listening to vinyl with my Stax and I was quite unimpressed. It was a new album, new needle, so no clicks or pops, but there was no depth to the music. Like everyone was playing directly in front of me. Is this due to the phono stage in my amplifier? Thus why phono amps are out there because the ones in my receiver are pretty basic and not meant for headphones or critical listening? I much prefer my Stax through my Musicstreamer II+.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back