The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jan 29, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,921 of 3,322

Okay, amp recommendations.  I currently have an SR-407 + SRM-300, however I may be selling my SRM-300 + SR-202 soon and would like to know of a good amp to pair with the 407.  I am leaning towards the SRM-323S, however I would like other suggestions which are at a comparable price point.  Suggestions?

For Lambdas, I recommend Stax tube amps: SRM-T1, SRM-006t(II/S) or SRM-007t(II/S), because there's definitely some synergy in the midrange.

I'd agree with this sentiment, layering in the midrange off these tube units is rather pleasing. A T1 or 006 should be around the same price as a 323, pairs wonderfully with lambdas.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,922 of 3,322
Hi,

First time poster here although I've been lurking around for some time, at the moment I have a Liquid Carbon > LCD 2F which I very much enjoy except for the sometime  overly dark presentation and a slight headband comfort issue. I am now in the process of obtaining a second rig and have decided to try a Stax system I recently purchased a new Japanese 323s which I plan to pair with a 407 in a few weeks time but would appreciate some help from you guys as to wether I'm about to choose the right stepdown transformer I thought I'd go with the 100 va model to give some wiggle room especially if things go well and I decide in the future to upgrade.

So will this do the job?

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/japanese_voltage_converters/japan_uk_voltage_converters/UK-JA0100/

Your help will be much appreciated

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,923 of 3,322
Hey everyone,

I currently have the Stax SR-207 with a 212 amplifier. I am enjoying them very much, but the fit seems a little loose, I do not feel I am really getting a good seal, How much of an improvement would the SR 507 pads have on the fit? And does it do anything gto the sound(I'm guessing no) but thought I would ask. Also, I understand the 212 amplifier is pretty much the base model of Stax amps, what would be a decent step up and would it have an impact on the sound of the SR 207, if so how much of an impact? What would possibly change? I am on a limited budget, so I can't spend too much on the amp, I'm just looking for the next step or 2.

Thanks,
James

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,924 of 3,322
  Hey everyone,

I currently have the Stax SR-207 with a 212 amplifier. I am enjoying them very much, but the fit seems a little loose, I do not feel I am really getting a good seal, How much of an improvement would the SR 507 pads have on the fit? And does it do anything gto the sound(I'm guessing no) but thought I would ask. Also, I understand the 212 amplifier is pretty much the base model of Stax amps, what would be a decent step up and would it have an impact on the sound of the SR 207, if so how much of an impact? What would possibly change? I am on a limited budget, so I can't spend too much on the amp, I'm just looking for the next step or 2.

Thanks,
James

That's the same amp I used with the SR-207. ^_^

I don't think the SR-507 pads would increase the clamping force, but everyone says it improves the comfort and sound.

What is your budget for the second amp?

The SRM-212 has the same specs and circuit (and sounds the same, according to the person I bought the amp from) as the SRM-252S, so no real reason to get that one. The SRM-323S (and SRM-353X) has 400 (as opposed to the 280 of the SRM-212) volts RMS so it's capable of more volume...but I can't comment on how different it sounds, as I have not owned it. That extra voltage would come in handy, though. I really pushed the SRM-212 to its limit. There are other options on the used market, especially if you check out Japanese sites.

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,925 of 3,322

That's the same amp I used with the SR-207. ^_^

I don't think the SR-507 pads would increase the clamping force, but everyone says it improves the comfort and sound.

What is your budget for the second amp?

The SRM-212 has the same specs and circuit (and sounds the same, according to the person I bought the amp from) as the SRM-252S, so no real reason to get that one. The SRM-323S (and SRM-353X) has 400 (as opposed to the 280 of the SRM-212) volts RMS so it's capable of more volume...but I can't comment on how different it sounds, as I have not owned it. That extra voltage would come in handy, though. I really pushed the SRM-212 to its limit. There are other options on the used market, especially if you check out Japanese sites.

I know you are extremely familiar with my setup hehe! My ears can get a little warm with the pads, so I am hoping the real leather would be a little cooler, and I'm hoping also softer to improve comfort, my pads are a little hard and I think that leads to the feeling of them not sealing properly. Is there anything that could improve clamping force? As for the amp, I am happy with it, it sounds great , I do wish I has a better power supply as the spliced black to white cord makes me feel a little uneasy.  I may just try to upgrade my power cord and just be happy with them.

You know another thought, has anyone ever considered creating a velour earpad for Stax? In looking at the pad, it is "Taped" on, so it's really just a plastic rectangle pillow with a hole in the center, not really too hard to make one side vinyl that's the side that sticks to headphones via sticker, and the other side being the velour material we find in Beyerdynamic type pads, and them fill with a stuffing of some kind, even memory foam. Would be an interesting project!

James 

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,926 of 3,322
  I know you are extremely familiar with my setup hehe! My ears can get a little warm with the pads, so I am hoping the real leather would be a little cooler, and I'm hoping also softer to improve comfort, my pads are a little hard and I think that leads to the feeling of them not sealing properly. Is there anything that could improve clamping force? As for the amp, I am happy with it, it sounds great , I do wish I has a better power supply as the spliced black to white cord makes me feel a little uneasy.  I may just try to upgrade my power cord and just be happy with them.

Spliced black to white cord? Dude...you might own the exact same SR-207 and SRM-212 that I used to own! hahaha

That modified power supply may be the only reason you're able to safely use it, though. STAX amps imported from Japan require a voltage transformer (among other alternatives), after all. I say leave it alone.

I didn't have any problems comfort-wise with the SR-207. (But I have a smaller head and ears.)

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,928 of 3,322
Spliced black to white cord? Dude...you might own the exact same SR-207 and SRM-212 that I used to own! hahaha

That modified power supply may be the only reason you're able to safely use it, though. STAX amps imported from Japan require a voltage transformer (among other alternatives), after all. I say leave it alone.

I didn't have any problems comfort-wise with the SR-207. (But I have a smaller head and ears.)

I know I do, I was being sarcastic about you knowing my setup. :grinning:. I have a small head as well, have to use the lowest setting on the headband, I think the warmth after about an hour is the biggest issue, so I was wondering, would the 212 be able to run a pair of 407, if so I might go, leather earpad for 207, get a 407, put on the leather earpads and sell the 207, then upgrade the amp some day.

James

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,929 of 3,322
I know I do, I was being sarcastic about you knowing my setup. :grinning:. I have a small head as well, have to use the lowest setting on the headband, I think the warmth after about an hour is the biggest issue, so I was wondering, would the 212 be able to run a pair of 407, if so I might go, leather earpad for 207, get a 407, put on the leather earpads and sell the 207, then upgrade the amp some day.

James

No, I mean, not just the same model, but the exact same one that used to be with me!

(It's a modified power supply.)

The in-production Lambdas have the same sensitivity and roughly the same impedance, so it should be fine.

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,930 of 3,322
No, I mean, not just the same model, but the exact same one that used to be with me!

(It's a modified power supply.)

The in-production Lambdas have the same sensitivity and roughly the same impedance, so it should be fine.

Yea, when I bought it I traced ownership back to you, I got it from the guy you sold it to!!

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,932 of 3,322
Yea, when I bought it I traced ownership back to you, I got it from the guy you sold it to!!

Wow, I had no idea until now! (Ya never told me.)

I think the SR-207 is better than either the SR307 or SR-407.  It's a keeper.

Care to write up an in-depth comparison?
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,934 of 3,322
Would $550 be a reasonable price for a SRM-T1, assuming it is in working order?  Shipping seems really expensive,so the final price would be a little over $600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-Headphone-Amp-Driver-Unit-for-Earspeaker-SRM-T1-srmt1-/182002635454?hash=item2a6033d2be:g:8SYAAOSwUV9WpgG6

I'm inclined to just wait for a T1 or similar amp to show up in the Buy/Sell forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back