The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jan 6, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #1,892 of 3,322
I was wondering, I have the SR207, while I have the on at times if I fiddle with the adjustment over my ears or if I was to put my chin down to my chest, I at times get a crackle sound, like the "membrane" is crackling, especially if I was to slightly push the headphones on my ears to make a little better seal, kinda like pressure being built up and fluctuating the membrane, does that make sense and is it normal? Also, are the leather pads from the SR507, softer and create a better seal than the pleather ones on my 207?

Thanks!!

James

The pressure build-up is exactly what is happening. This indeed causes the crackling sound. It is harmless and is known as 'the Stax Fart'.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,893 of 3,322
Where can I find price of the different DiY stats amps ? (especially the cheapest one)

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,894 of 3,322
You mean to build or buy? Build would probably be something relatively simple and solid state. Buy would probably be a used KGSS or something in the for sale forum.

Price for new varies on the builder, design and components.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #1,896 of 3,322
  You mean to build or buy? Build would probably be something relatively simple and solid state. Buy would probably be a used KGSS or something in the for sale forum.

Price for new varies on the builder, design and components.

Well don't know yet what's the most cost efficient

See http://www.head-fi.org/t/498292/my-diy-electrostatic-headphones#post_6732478

I've been keeping an eye on this too, but haven't worked up the guts to try it yet.

Interesting !
I think I will make a little O2 to grow my soldering skills then will try to do something like this.
I will analyse this thread later.
What have you learned about it?

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,898 of 3,322
Depends at what price you get it. At the Japanese price, it beats every dynamic out there easily in my opinion. However, at European prices of around €1000, I could imagine people preferring some high-end dynamic cans to it, even though I personally would still take the Stax any day of the week. I prefer it to the HD800 for example.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #1,900 of 3,322
  Depends at what price you get it. At the Japanese price, it beats every dynamic out there easily in my opinion. However, at European prices of around €1000, I could imagine people preferring some high-end dynamic cans to it, even though I personally would still take the Stax any day of the week. I prefer it to the HD800 for example.

I would buy at ebay or something, from japan. So € 500 in total-

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,901 of 3,322
  How is the srs-2170 system compared to similar priced dynamic headphones/amp combos, used as an all-round headset?

I would buy at ebay or something, from japan. So € 500 in total-

It comes down to preference in the end. To my ears and in my opinion, the SR-207 sounds better and more accurate than everything else I've heard regardless of price. (Only because I haven't heard ultra-high-end electrostats, but I have heard other systems approaching five figures.)

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #1,902 of 3,322
For me they beat anything I've heard, again I've never heard the top flight phones. Stats shock you at first by sheer difference between the Stat sound and the dynamic/ortho sound, but once I went back to a dynamic they all sound so veiled in comparison. As to the price I personally think you'd be hard pressed to beat them for their money, maybe you could get a better headphone for the money but not a better system ie headphone and amp imo.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #1,904 of 3,322
My only reservation that stopped me from getting the srs2170 system has been the supposedly bass shyness. Compared to the flat sub bass response and impact I'm used to with planars, I'm worried it won't be enough for me, which will really make my symphonic metal sound rather dry.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,905 of 3,322
My only reservation that stopped me from getting the srs2170 system has been the supposedly bass shyness. Compared to the flat sub bass response and impact I'm used to with planars, I'm worried it won't be enough for me, which will really make my symphonic metal sound rather dry.

The SR-207 bass is very flat and extends way way down, but the impact isn't as much as say my old modded Fostex T30's orthos. Though those have a noticeable bass tilt. You'll likely get used to the 207 after a few days though and be happy with it. You can also EQ the bottom up a bit if you feel you need to. If you really like bass, then the SR-007 is the top dog in that fight. But that's a whole different pile of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back