The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,786 of 3,322
just got the sr507, just some quick impressions.

Slightly better comfort due to better earpads and headband
More forward treble (may be bit to bright, but we will see)
less rolled off bass
similar sound stage
similar clarity and transparency

I think I got it for a very good deal at 550 Canadian $. But I'm not sure if its that big a improvement on the 207. ill give it another week.

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #1,787 of 3,322
I had the 207 and found the treble too reticent, especially after a Beyer DT880. Actually I didn't find the sound any better than the 880 overall, which surprised me. Always wondered how much better the higher numbered Stax might be.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,788 of 3,322
Bass/treble, bass/treble, this thread is reading like the Grado or HD600/650 threads, going on and on about frequency response.

Having spent time with 207, 407, 507, 404, 303 plugged into mine and other's Stax amps, I don't find that f/r is worth spending any time discussing. It's not what Stax is about.

Air & space, timbre & texture, speed & damping, a truly 3 dimensioned space (or perceived space) of the recording are among the Stax characteristics that set them apart. I've told many people that Stax are not a "5 minute headphone", but spend 2 or 3 evenings listening to music on them, and you don't want to change.

Don't take this post as cranky, it's just IMO. :cool:

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #1,791 of 3,322
redface.gif

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,794 of 3,322
Thanks.
You just saved me 23 gazillion dollars.
The Blue Hawaii is a stupid price anyway.

I respect miceblue's opinion, but you need to understand that, as stated, the vast majority of people think the SR-009 is better.

I had the 207 and found the treble too reticent, especially after a Beyer DT880. Actually I didn't find the sound any better than the 880 overall, which surprised me. Always wondered how much better the higher numbered Stax might be.

Just goes to show ya how important personal preference is. I owned the "best" version of the DT 880 and thought the SR-207 sounded far more realistic than it and everything else I have heard. (I've heard many of the high-end non-electrostats, but have not heard higher-end STAX yet.)

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,795 of 3,322
I respect miceblue's opinion, but you need to understand that, as stated, the vast majority of people think the SR-009 is better.

Just goes to show ya how important personal preference is. I owned the "best" version of the DT 880 and thought the SR-207 sounded far more realistic than it and everything else I have heard. (I've heard many of the high-end non-electrostats, but have not heard higher-end STAX yet.)

I agree, I used to own a pair of DT880 and sold them when I bought an SRS-2170 system.
BTW, the higher end Stax don't sound as good as DT880 :p

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,796 of 3,322
  The SR-507 is on the dark side of sound, very clearly compared with a Sennheiser HE60.
In the shop where I bought it it was connected to a STAX SRM-006, cannot remember what letters in the end.
I have a STAX SRM-T1 updated and upgraded with tubes like the SRM-600 Limited.
The sound on both energizers is very dependent of what source, or DAC, you are connected to.

Compared to the HE60 everything is on the 'dark side of sound'...

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,798 of 3,322

I thought that the sound of the 880 and 2170 were very similar in terms of overall balance and neutrality, but the Stax's subjective lack of treble made it seem rather harsh, as a lack of extreme treble can. I didn't find any greater degree of 'realism' from the Stax; rather I found the lack of treble somewhat clouded its potential in that area, as well as in the area of soundstaging. I was disappointed, as I'd been expecting so much more. However it should be said that I also prefer the 880 over other phones generally rated on a par or higher, including the HiFiman HE-500, HD650, K701 and Audeze LCD-2 (Mk 1). I listen only to orchestral/classical and have no interest in vocals, which perhaps is relevant. I find the 880, well amped, to be capable of an astonishing performance on orchestral music. How it fares on other genres I have no idea.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,799 of 3,322
  I thought that the sound of the 880 and 2170 were very similar in terms of overall balance and neutrality, but the Stax's subjective lack of treble made it seem rather harsh, as a lack of extreme treble can. I didn't find any greater degree of 'realism' from the Stax; rather I found the lack of treble somewhat clouded its potential in that area, as well as in the area of soundstaging. I was disappointed, as I'd been expecting so much more. However it should be said that I also prefer the 880 over other phones generally rated on a par or higher, including the HiFiman HE-500, HD650, K701 and Audeze LCD-2 (Mk 1). I listen only to orchestral/classical and have no interest in vocals, which perhaps is relevant. I find the 880, well amped, to be capable of an astonishing performance on orchestral music. How it fares on other genres I have no idea.

Lack of treble? Good thing you said subjective and lack of extreme treble, because the SR-207 has neutral, accurate treble.

(@miceblue made this image, but mislabeled it. Look how closely the raw grey measurements follow the green line. With the SR-507 pads, it doesn't have the bass hump.)

Just know that when you boost the treble for artificial detail instead of actual detail, that will only give you fake realism, not true realism. I have no idea what you mean about "lacking" treble making a headphone sound harsh. A headphone only sounds harsh to me when it has too much treble.

And yeah, you should have listened with all types of music (like me!) instead of just one. But I respect that your subjective experience is genuine nonetheless.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,800 of 3,322
  Canada $ 550 for a STAX SR-507 is a very good price!
That is just over USD 410!
Was this a used one?
Even so it is a good price!

Yes it was used, picked up from local craigslist. But the excellent condition. Been using it for several days now, can still unsure if it is a improvement from the 207, I found the 507 to be bit too bright for my ears.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back