The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 10, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,771 of 3,322
Btw I am thinking of going with the schiit Modi 2 as the dac to connect my Stax Srs 2170 to my laptop?
would you guys recommend it? my budget is pretty low for the DAC(around 150$) as all my money is going to the stax system :frowning2:
What are yous guys using?

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,772 of 3,322
  Btw I am thinking of going with the schiit Modi 2 as the dac to connect my Stax Srs 2170 to my laptop?
would you guys recommend it? my budget is pretty low for the DAC(around 150$) as all my money is going to the stax system :frowning2:

I just use the old R2R DAC in my Denon AVR-3300 I got for ten bucks. Does 24/96 direct with a better power supply than most of the palmtop stuff. I've had more expensive modern DAC's up to around the four hundred dollar range but it sounds better than they did. So you could consider that sort of thing if you're hard up.

I use it with a KGSSHV+SR-007 Mk I so it's not like it's a low end system.

Not that I don't have my eyes on a Gungnir Multibit or a Ygg in the future.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,773 of 3,322

I just use the old R2R DAC in my Denon AVR-3300 I got for ten bucks. Does 24/96 direct with a better power supply than most of the palmtop stuff. I've had more expensive modern DAC's up to around the four hundred dollar range but it sounds better than they did. So you could consider that sort of thing if you're hard up.

I use it with a KGSSHV+SR-007 Mk I so it's not like it's a low end system.

Not that I don't have my eyes on a Gungnir Multibit or a Ygg in the future.

Denon AVR-3300 sounds like a really good option especially for the price but its too big T_T
So I dont think that will be an option, as I move alot , ofcourse I wont use the stax as a portable system but....
My wallet is already crying I dont think I will even consider Gungnir Multibit or a Yggdrasil XD

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,774 of 3,322

Modi 2 will do just good except if you need more digital inputs, then Modi 2 Uber.

I look up the Denon, no USB input, but well it's old stuff anyway. I'm also looking for a USB DAC (or DAC/amp) but that's not for my Stax system.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,778 of 3,322
I purchased a sr-207+srm-252s earlier this year. I am looking to upgrade, but I was wondering if the srm-252s is compatible with better stax headphones like sr-307/407/507? if it is, is there a big improvement to getting a SRM-323s or ​SRM-006ts?

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,779 of 3,322
The 252 is compatible with all modern (pro bias) Stax headphones, and especially the other Lambdas, because all Lambdas have similar drivers and hence driving needs.

I have heard the 207 and 507, and they're different. The 207 has a nicely balanced frequency spectrum, but sounds a bit polite, while the 507 has somewhat more bass, and a very good, tighter and deeper bass at that, and at the same time it has more treble. Its treble is smooth (it really is) but your ears will still need some adjustment. Talking about adjustment, the 507's adjustable headband works really well if you don't have a very large head.
I can't say anything about the 307 and 407, but a few weeks ago Stax released the new L500 and L700 Lambdas. The first reviews of the L700 are very positive, so this could be something to look into if you're planning a real upgrade.

If you're planning to stay within the Lambda range, even if that will be with the L700, the Stax tube amps are a very good pairing. I had a SRM-T1 myself, which is for the very most part identical to the current 006tS, and there is definitely some synergy in the midrange between a Lambda and a Stax tube amp. So, if it's between the 323 (or the new 353X) and the 006tS, certainly choose the latter for driving Lambdas IMO.

Personally, I would look into a L700 for now while keeping the 252, and then later get the tube amp, all depending on budget of course. Hope this helps.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,781 of 3,322
  I purchased a sr-207+srm-252s earlier this year. I am looking to upgrade, but I was wondering if the srm-252s is compatible with better stax headphones like sr-307/407/507? if it is, is there a big improvement to getting a SRM-323s or ​SRM-006ts?

The SRM-252s is limited by the drive current it can supply, it does a good job but cannot play loudly.
The current runs out at high volumes and the soundstage collapses.

It will drive my 009 if the volume is not turned up too up too high. As you go up the STAX amp range it produces more power.
The internals of the 252s, 323s and 727 are very similar, the bigger units provide more drive current.

I use my 252s to drive low load phones like the Sennheiser HE60 and the Koss ESP950, the 252s is quite a bit better than the supplied Koss amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back