The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 27, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #781 of 3,322
  I think the longest lasting impressions are made by letting people hear music they're familiar with on your rig.  Sure, I could show them some amazing sounding Mahler piece and it'll impress them, but they'll probably forget it if they don't know the music.  Show them something they know like the back of their hand in a new light and they'll remember that for a while.

I completely agree. Also, I just can't understand reviewers (even professional ones) that write stuff like this: "I listened to the new xy on the yz. I had never heard it before, but it was great."
blink.gif
How can someone determine strengths and weaknesses using a record they are NOT familiar with?

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #783 of 3,322
Yeah, the polarity of the japanese wall-wart is atypical, be aware of that so you don't ruin the amp.

Speaking about Chick Corea, I dig 'The Continents'

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #785 of 3,322
Get yer 'phones yet?

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #786 of 3,322
Edit: I forgot to mention the power supply. Added.

I did!  Sorry I haven't responded yet, I've been too busy listening.  :)

I don't have an Audiophile vocabulary, I'm sure there are better terms for what I'm trying to describe, so please forgive my long form descriptions of things.  My gear description is at the bottom of this post.

First impressions:
- Sound quality: These are, as one would expect, a phenominal step up from my previous daily listeners, MB-Quart Quart Phone 400 (today these are known as German Maestro GMP 400 (http://www.german-maestro.de/US/gmp400.htm)).  The sound is just uncolored.  I don't hear any spikes or dips at any frequency.  And certain tracks demonstrate how INCREDIBLY low these things go; so far, the best demo I've found is the opening of Beats Antique's newest album A Thousand Faces, the song Overture at about 0:42 there's a bass drop that goes about as low as I can hear without any noticible peaks or dips.  Friends who primarily listen to this track on subwoofers say the note goes down low enough to the point where you feel but cannot hear it.  Obviously, you're not going to "feel" a note like that coming from headphones (doesn't affect my respatory system, at least not yet), but it's pretty clear that they aren't lying about the 7Hz end of the frequency response curve.

These are as transparent a headphone I have ever listened to.  I can't point to any one part of the sound and say "Oh, that's the phones."  It's as close as I can image to plugging a signal straight into my brain as I could imagine.  I can hear Norah Jones taking a breath before she starts singing.  I can hear picking noise on certain guitar tracks.  It's amazing what's there now that didn't used to be.

The sound stage isn't as good as I expected it to be.  I'm not sure if that's because of the music I'm listening to, because these are only 207s and not 507s or Sigmas or whatever, or if I just don't know what I'm talking about.  But I expected to be able to close my eyes and picture the instruments in the room and be able to "point" to them.  So far, I haven't found a track on which I can do that.  I'd love recommendations for well recorded tracks that have good spacial imaging.

- Comfort: They're a little heavy.  Not surprising, it's like I have a couple aluminum paperback novels strapped to my head, and it causes a bit of neck tension after a whole day of listening.

The ear-speakers (cans?  But they're square!  Boxes?) swivle up and down to lay flat on the head, but they have a stop at the top that prevents them from going too far top-in on the head.  Unfortuately, the way my head is shaped, this causes the tension to be greater at the bottom than at the top; they push into my jaw a bit and it's uncomfortable.  I've seriously considered removing that stop and just letting them rest naturally on my head.  Anyone have any suggestions about this?

- Amp:  I haven't done anything to the amp yet, but I am interested in reviewing the proposed modifications to the SRM-252S to see what makes sense to me.  I'm a DIYer (see my gear description below), so I'm not afraid of a soldering iron and am happy to replace components if it makes sense.  Having said that, I haven't found anything that really screams to me "This little thing sucks, you should replace that component to fix it."  Hence, "makes sense" in my previous sentences.  I don't want to mod just for mod's sake.

I am very interested in trying these cans-- err, boxes on a direct coupled transformerless ES tube amp.  I don't have one (anyone in or around San Luis Obispo, California have an amp I could borrow?) so I have on my project list to build one.  It's pretty low on the list right now, but it is on the list.

- Power: I connected the Japanese 100vAC to 12vDC wall-wart up and measured the output.  Without a load, it was putting out 20vDC.  I'm not sure how that would have dropped with a load, but I wasn't willing to try it and find out.  So I took a 12vDC 1A switching wall-wart from an Ethernet Switch with an input range of 100-240vAC (what I had laying around), cut the cord and reversed the polarity (works with amps as well as warp cores!) and it works like a champ.  I haven't heard any noise from the switcher, but it may just be below the threshold of my tinnitus.  One of these days, I may get around to finding/making a clean regulated 12vDC supply, but I don't feel the need for it right now.

Listening Rig:  It's nothing specatular right now, but here's what I've got:

- Mixer/Pre Amp:  I designed my own mixer and headphone amp several years ago.  It takes three analog stereo inputs, mixes them, then outputs the result through a pair of LM6321 current buffers.  It's very similar to a PiMETAv2 (http://tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta2/) but with the op-amp in inverting mode so I can use it as a mixer, and with true dual-rail supplies so I don't have a ground channel.  Otherwise, I'm still using the Jung Multiloop feedback system with the LM6321s.  Since this is feeding the SRM-252S, it's not pulling enough current to need the LM6321s, but they're there.
- Source 1: grubDAC (http://diyforums.org/GrubDAC/GrubDACoverview.php) that I built myself.  It only does 48kHz/16, but that's ok, most of my music is CD ripped to FLAC.  It is DC coupled, which is very nice.  (So is my mixer/amp above.)  The grubDAC is connected to my work desktop.  I use Banshee in Ubuntu for music playback.  I also use Spotify and Amazon Cloud Player, but this week I've been concentrating on quality so local playback of FLACs (which neither Spotify nor Amazon Cloud Player support) it is.
- Source 2: An analog cable to my laptop.  This spends most of it's time with the volume turned down.  It's there so I can use VoIP or watch YouTube videos or whatever on my laptop without having to move cables or swap headphones (the original purpose for the mixer in the first place.)
- Source 3: An analog cable to my iPhone.  Also spends most of its time with the volume down.  But I do have several more albums in ALAC on my phone.  The UI is such that I prefer Banshee on my desktop computer to it most of the time.

The output of my mixer/amp goes to the input of the SRM-252S and thence to my phones.

So far, from the limited selection of music I have ripped on my work computer, the "Killer App" CDs are (in no particular order):
- Beats Antique, "A Thousdand Faces"
- Norah Jones, "Not Too Late."
- Nine Inch Nails, "Hesitation Marks" Audiophile mix.
- Device, "Device"
- Emika, a song called "Drop The Other" loaded by a friend who wanted to test it on my phones.  I need to get the rest of this album...
- Howard Shore, "The Hobbit (Soundtrack)"  (I also have the LoTR soundtracks, but in ~200kbps MP3. I've lost the CDs and can't re-rip them. Maybe it's selection bias, but I haven't listened to these very much.)
- Jethro Tull, "Aqualung (20th Anniversary)"

Over all impressions:  Holy crap, I love these phones.  I was worried that I'd regret spending the money, but I don't.

What's this slope I'm standing on?  It's a little slippWHOA!!!! *falls on ass and slides down toward spending more money*  Looking for a better USB DAC.  Any suggestions for something in the $100 to $200 range?  Kits are good (preferred, actually).  Preferably something that will reliably do 96/24 or better, "just cuz.."

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #787 of 3,322
I agree, holy crap, I love those phones!
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #788 of 3,322
The sound stage isn't as good as I expected it to be.  I'm not sure if that's because of the music I'm listening to, because these are only 207s and not 507s or Sigmas or whatever, or if I just don't know what I'm talking about.  But I expected to be able to close my eyes and picture the instruments in the room and be able to "point" to them.  So far, I haven't found a track on which I can do that.  I'd love recommendations for well recorded tracks that have good spacial imaging.

So, on the subject of "New to Electrostatics," what music/albums do you all recommend as a way to really show off the benefits of cans like these? Many of my friends are anxious to listen to what all the hoopla is about and I want to make sure I demo them correctly.

My fear is that I primarily listen to rock, metal, electronic, and some sound-track, which are generally not recorded with critical listening in mind. There are some exceptions to this obviously, but as a generality it's true. I'd love to hear what y'all's Go-Tos are for demoing the benefits of Electrostats to non-critical listeners.

Try Ottmar Liebert – Up Close, which is a binaural acoustic guitar album.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #789 of 3,322
Great impressions! Sound stage isn't the strongest point of the lambdas IME. Get an hd800 if you want sound stage..

Getting a speaker amp or a sr-207, that is the question for me.. I think it'll be speaker amp.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #790 of 3,322
Binaural is cheating
tongue.gif

For a DAC in your price range I usually recommend an old Parasound or Assemblage unit, but you'll have to get a deal.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #791 of 3,322
I recommend this. It's what I use with my T1 and Lambda NB. It's basically an improved ODAC at a third of the price.

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=123

It looks like they're out of stock now, but it's probably just selling really well. They just came out with this update a few months ago.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #792 of 3,322
Hey! What's a decent price for a (most likely) normal bias sigma and srd-6 adapter, assuming it is in decent condition (eg. working but well used)?

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #793 of 3,322
  I recommend this. It's what I use with my T1 and Lambda NB. It's basically an improved ODAC at a third of the price.

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=123

It looks like they're out of stock now, but it's probably just selling really well. They just came out with this update a few months ago.

Do you know whether the output is DC coupled or not?  I see a couple of what look like Wima caps right by the output:

http://hifimediy.com/image/cache/U2-800x800.JPG

But I can't tell whether those are in-line or bypass to ground caps.  They look rather small for in-line caps, and the ES9023 has it's own charge-pump to generate dual rail supplies so its output CAN be DC coupled

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023%20PB%20Rev%200.2aPB%20110117.pdf

So i'm inclinded to think that it's DC coupled (which is good.)  I'm just hoping someone can confirm.  (Low frequency roll off and phase distortion is a personal pet peeve of mine. I despise DC blocking caps and avoid them whenever possible.)

I'm also trying to understand the product names.  The link you provided is for the "HiFiMeDIY Saber U2" which is out of stock.  Amazon has something they call "HiFiMeDIY Saber USB" http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digital-Analog-Converter-Optical/dp/B00AOH5JTQ/ which LOOKS the same from the outside, but HiFiMeDIY's site also has something it calls the "Saber USB" http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83 which appears to be different.  The difference looks to be the I2S buffer/reclocker (what allows them to put "Asynchronous" in the name), is that right?

I realize we're getting rather off-topic here, so feel free to tell me to go find another thread.  :)

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #794 of 3,322
Sigma and T1... Think about the horror, the Stax aficionados must cringe if I should end up with it. Isn't it said to be almost as inefficient as sr-007's?

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #795 of 3,322
Sigmas are not inefficient its just you need extra headroom on the volume dial to match the volume of a normal Lambda due to the further spacing from the transducer to your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back