The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #766 of 3,322
  Yeah, a fellow signature/t1 owner 
redface.gif

What t1 mods did you do? Unfortunately my signature is down with an imbalance cold atm, hopefully just dust/hair in the driver but I barely have the time to look into it... Music recommendation for the signature?

I didn't do anything myself! I got it fully modified from padam, here are the differences compared to a standard T1 (if i remember correctly):

ECC99 tubes
Better RCA connectors
Siltech wiring
340V output
Carbon resistors

Music recommendations... what genres do you enjoy?

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #767 of 3,322
  Try Ottmar Liebert – Up Close, which is a binaural acoustic guitar album.
[...]
I'll look forward to your impressions, let's see if you are ready for such a setup, lol 
tongue.gif

http://www.hdtracks.com/up-close  96/24 FLAC version is in the shopping cart.  :)

I'm really looking forward to my impressions too!  _I_ am ready, but I'm not convinced the rest of my setup is ready yet.  Right now, I just have a grubDAC on my work Linux box.  I suspect that'll be the next thing to get upgraded.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #768 of 3,322
I didn't do anything myself! I got it fully modified from padam, here are the differences compared to a standard T1 (if i remember correctly):

ECC99 tubes
Better RCA connectors
Siltech wiring
340V output
Carbon resistors

Music recommendations... what genres do you enjoy?

Just about any non-electronic genre 
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not yet established in the world of classical and jazz, though, still exploring and finding out what styles I prefer. 

I like that there's an entry level Stax thread, not as formal as the other Stax thread.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #769 of 3,322

http://www.hdtracks.com/up-close  96/24 FLAC version is in the shopping cart.  :)

I'm really looking forward to my impressions too!  _I_ am ready, but I'm not convinced the rest of my setup is ready yet.  Right now, I just have a grubDAC on my work Linux box.  I suspect that'll be the next thing to get upgraded.

Nice. Good luck & have fun.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #770 of 3,322
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not yet established in the world of classical and jazz, though, still exploring and finding out what styles I prefer. 

I like that there's an entry level Stax thread, not as formal as the other Stax thread.

I could help you with the Jazz exploration
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #773 of 3,322

smily_headphones1.gif

I could help you with the Jazz exploration
wink.gif

Would be pretty nice, I am only really content with Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue', Jazz at the Pawnshop and Charles Mingus 'Ah Um'. I feel like an an audiohile failure, lol. Oh well, I am the kind person who has a tendency to progress very, very slowly with music. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #774 of 3,322
How about "Explorations in Space and Time" by Lenny White, Mark Sherman, and Jamey Haddad?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsyCqE8kb_I[/video]

Or Hiromi Uehara, or Chick Corea

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmBV1j5UMI[/video]

Or Fourplay

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slprjz11Ds0[/video]

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #775 of 3,322
  Would be pretty nice, I am only really content with Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue', Jazz at the Pawnshop and Charles Mingus 'Ah Um'. I feel like an an audiohile failure, lol. Oh well, I am the kind person who has a tendency to progress very, very slowly with music. 

I'll shoot you a PM with some recommendations that might suit your taste.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #776 of 3,322
  So, on the subject of "New to Electrostatics," what music/albums do you all recommend as a way to really show off the benefits of cans like these?  Many of my friends are anxious to listen to what all the hoopla is about and I want to make sure I demo them correctly.

My fear is that I primarily listen to rock, metal, electronic, and some sound-track, which are generally not recorded with critical listening in mind.  There are some exceptions to this obviously, but as a generality it's true.  I'd love to hear what y'all's Go-Tos are for demoing the benefits of Electrostats to non-critical listeners.

Just my two cents, but I think it is more important to use a good source than it is to cherry pick recordings with the SRS-2170.
You seem to be the type of guy who is very well aware of the value of a good source, so I hope I am not insulting you!
BTW, I would say they do sound like a pair of AKG Q701 or K70x with all the problems resolved or at least minimized.

Headphone amp from J.A.PAN will be set up for 100 Vac, so you are going to need either a wee little step down transformer or replace the wall wart.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #777 of 3,322

And that's EXACTLY why I started this thread!  
wink_face.gif

I'm glad your enjoying it.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #778 of 3,322

Just my two cents, but I think it is more important to use a good source than it is to cherry pick recordings with the SRS-2170.
You seem to be the type of guy who is very well aware of the value of a good source, so I hope I am not insulting you!
BTW, I would say they do sound like a pair of AKG Q701 or K70x with all the problems resolved or at least minimized.

Headphone amp from J.A.PAN will be set up for 100 Vac, so you are going to need either a wee little step down transformer or replace the wall wart.

Good call. Like I said, my source is a grubDAC (http://diyforums.org/GrubDAC/GrubDACoverview.php).  It's good for what it does, but its only good up to 48kHz/16bit.  I'll keep researching for something better (this isn't the thread for suggestions, I don't think.)

As for 100vAC, I've got plenty of 12vDC >=.5A wall-warts around.  That won't be a problem.  Worst case, I'll make a clean supply myself.  Thanks for the heads up, though.

And, as davidsh said, yes thank you very much for setting up this thread.  It's right up my alley.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #779 of 3,322

Good call. Like I said, my source is a grubDAC (http://diyforums.org/GrubDAC/GrubDACoverview.php).  It's good for what it does, but its only good up to 48kHz/16bit.  I'll keep researching for something better (this isn't the thread for suggestions, I don't think.)

As for 100vAC, I've got plenty of 12vDC >=.5A wall-warts around.  That won't be a problem.  Worst case, I'll make a clean supply myself.  Thanks for the heads up, though.

And, as davidsh said, yes thank you very much for setting up this thread.  It's right up my alley.

A bit obvious, but I will say it anyway:
Please ensure that you observe the polarity of the DC connector on your new Stax amp!
Rolling your own may not be a bad idea, the stock wall wart is a dinky little unregulated linear supply.

I really appreciate the fact that this thread is this popular and so many Head Fi-ers find it useful!

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #780 of 3,322
I think the longest lasting impressions are made by letting people hear music they're familiar with on your rig.  Sure, I could show them some amazing sounding Mahler piece and it'll impress them, but they'll probably forget it if they don't know the music.  Show them something they know like the back of their hand in a new light and they'll remember that for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back