The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #31 of 3,322
I think the SRS-2170 has more bass extension than the K 701 with more texture too.

Relative to the LCD-2 from memory I find the SRS-2170 to be more detailed but the LCD-2 has a more weighty feeling due to the heavier low-end frequencies. I think the SRS-2170 is much faster than the LCD-2 as I found the LCD-2 to be a bit slow for my tastes.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #32 of 3,322
Quote:
First of all cool thread!

I'm considering the 2170 as I expressed in the main Stax thread. Was briefly thinking about totally overdoing it by getting the 007Mk2 + 323S, but now with my recent purchase of the LCD-2, this is no longer an option.

So K_19. I really find your descriptions helpful and easy to follow along. Can you talk to me more about the transient response (speed of the drivers). Are they greater/same/less than the LCD-2 R2? Which one offers better transparency/micro-details of the music? And exactly how bad is that bass roll off? Are we talking like AKG K701/HD598 bad?

IMO, the speed of the two are not too far apart but Stax definitely has that frequently mentioned e-stat "ethereal" quality to it, which is to say there is a better sense of the music and the details coming out of nowhere with more blacker background... I feel that the instrument separation and transparency of the 207 actually seem better than the LCD-2's because of that said quality, and that might also give an illusion of a much better speed as well.  It is much more open sounding than the LCD-2's, at least with the LCD-2's being amped by a modest Soloist SL (LCD-2's definitely has potential to improve with a more powerful amp, which I experience first hand before with my older WA6SE, Lyr, etc). But then the LCD-2's have that weightiness and immediacy to it's sound which is very addicting on its own and I do still feel that it has comparable speed and detail to boot (but due to their relative closed-in sound, it may not seem like it compared to something more open).

As for the rolloff on extreme ends I don't feel that it's actually too bad, my opinion on that's actually in comparison to the old HD800's I used to have and the 009's that are due to come in soon in regards to the treble, and the LCD-2's in regards to the bass... which are more or less top class headphones extension wise. Compared to something more modest such as HD650 (in terms of bass)  or the K701 (in regards to the treble), I don't feel that they sound rolled off at all at the extremes.  I find both the treble and the bass on the 207's to be quite satisfying for the most part actually... my biggest thing to fault with them sound wise is actually with the midrange as I've mentioned before; it IMO sounds uneven somewhere causing certain vocals to be too immediate/shouty. But that's again in comparison to the other top end headphones that I've had which have gorgeous midranges, thus on it's own I find it to be acceptable minor flaw for a headphone in its price range.  And with a different DAC and amp they may very well sound different than what I've described so do keep that in mind.

Repeating myself here but I'd definitely get the 2170 combo over any of the HD650/K701/DT880/RS-1 level class of headphones + an amp at a comparable cost of the 2170.  (on sound alone that is... taking into consideration varying individual opinions in regards to comfort, warranty claim, ease of use/maintenance, the dynamics may be a better choice for some)

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #33 of 3,322
Quote:

So K_19. I really find your descriptions helpful and easy to follow along. Can you talk to me more about the transient response (speed of the drivers). Are they greater/same/less than the LCD-2 R2? Which one offers better transparency/micro-details of the music? And exactly how bad is that bass roll off? Are we talking like AKG K701/HD598 bad?

The basic Stax is easily better in terms of transparency, micro-detailing of music and transient response compared to the usual planar suspects, except that overpriced Abyss piece of crap headphone which sounds about on par.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #34 of 3,322
@K_19

Thanks. I totally get it now. 2170 is probably the next thing I'll add to collection. If that happens I can probably contribute a lot to this thread in terms of LCD-2/HE-500 vs 207.

@DefQon

"Abyss piece of crap headphone which sounds about on par"

LOL.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 3,322
First of all cool thread.

IMHO,
To me, the SRS-2170 sounds like a "fixed" or "improved" Q701:
deeper, fuller bass
less coloured midrange
smoother, flatter, purer treble
more detail, more transient snap
It's just a more nautral sounding, less mechanical sounding headphone system

I've heard it said that the Q701 &K70x sound much better with a high end amp, which sounds a bit odd to my way of thinking: using a very expensive amp to drive a mid priced pair of AKG cans! :p

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #38 of 3,322
Chris,

How do you find the comfort of the SRS-2170? It just seems awkward and uncomfortable looking when compared to the DT880's

actually they are very light and have very little clamping force. Even though they look like a pair of paperback books on your ears they are surprisingly comforatble.

The worst thing is that the pleather ear pads may get sweaty after a while.
Obviously the DT880 feel like a pair of pillows on your ears!

The DT880 have more bass but have a slightly more coloured midrange and a slightly rougher, peakier treble.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #40 of 3,322
The thing with the Lambda frames are that they clamp down the most at the bottom of the cups, so if your jaw or facial area is especially sensitive there I can see one having a slight comfort problem. I find it fine for 1-2 hour listening sessions though. The pads are fine for the most part (though they're pleather and do heat up) but they're not the softest out there either, so it's possible one will feel it after a while if you're sensitive to it. Headband is as comfortable as it gets though which is a plus. As for the depth of the cups it's actually a bit shallow in there and if you have ears that protrude out a lot your ears may touch the driver side. No problem for me personally on that front though as I do have smaller, flat sitting ears. The pads are also angled a bit so it does help to position your ears near the back of the cups to allow more room for it.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #44 of 3,322
Lambda Pro + T1/S or SRM1 MK2 amp is one of the best Lambda combos you can get. Add the ED-1 into the combination with the SRM1 MK2 amp very very good.

Not cheap though.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #45 of 3,322
There are also Stax In-Ears in similar price range of 2170, but I've never tried those so I can't say much about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back