The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 3,322
Another way to go would be to get a pair of used Stax and adding a Woo Wee. I'm waiting for my Lamda Pros from audiogon and my Woo Wee. They should be coming in on Thursday. It cost me a total of 950 for both of them.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 3,322
It seems that electrostatic headphones can't move very much for the lowest of the lows unlike planar magnetic headphones because of their limited space(?) between the "charge plates."

The opposite can be true for planar magnetic headphones though because of their shear mass.

That's what I got from Tyll's Innerfidelity article about how planar magnetic headphones work at least.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 3,322
Expecting a pair of SR-404LEs + SRM-006t on Monday, hopefully I made the "right" decision between this and an HD800 setup. I would love to know how these compare to the current flagship SR-507 Lambda and models. There are impressions on the forums and elsewhere, but more is always better in this scenario!

Should I be worried if the tubes' bias are not set to specs? I mean, the voltages in an electrostatic amp are much higher than conventional amps.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 3,322
Quote:
As much as I liked my SR-007 Mk.1, the one problem I had with them was the lack of...impact. It just doesn't move air(?) like dynamic headphones, and I can't get used to it. I'm thinking about giving electrostatic headphones another shot though..

If you want lots of bass impact (on the cheap) get a pair of SR-003s

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #20 of 3,322
Quote:

If you want lots of bass impact (on the cheap) get a pair of SR-003s

Thanks for the suggestion jjinh, but I'm trying to stay away from sticking anything into my ears. I just personally find it uncomfortable for long term use 
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #21 of 3,322
I'm looking to sell both my Lambda SR-303 (modded for pad rolling, because I have three kinds of pads) and the amp kit I use them portably with (as in with an iPod while walking around town), so if anyone is looking to *get* a unique entry-level Stax system, shoot me a PM. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #22 of 3,322
Quote:
Another way to go would be to get a pair of used Stax and adding a Woo Wee. I'm waiting for my Lamda Pros from audiogon and my Woo Wee. They should be coming in on Thursday. It cost me a total of 1100 for both of them.

Sorry to tell you but you've been ripped off.
Quote:
I'm looking to sell both my Lambda SR-303 (modded for pad rolling, because I have three kinds of pads) and the amp kit I use them portably with (as in with an iPod while walking around town), so if anyone is looking to *get* a unique entry-level Stax system, shoot me a PM. 
biggrin.gif

What other gear are you moving onto, my friend?

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #23 of 3,322
Quote:
It seems that electrostatic headphones can't move very much for the lowest of the lows unlike planar magnetic headphones because of their limited space(?) between the "charge plates."

The opposite can be true for planar magnetic headphones though because of their shear mass.

That's what I got from Tyll's Innerfidelity article about how planar magnetic headphones work at least.

I once loved the bass of the planar magnetics, but I got over it as it is just a wall of bass pumping through your head. The HE-5/500/6 are the only 3 planars that don't have a bloated end the LCD's and HE-400 has.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #24 of 3,322
Quote:
I once loved the bass of the planar magnetics, but I got over it as it is just a wall of bass pumping through your head. The HE-5/500/6 are the only 3 planars that don't have a bloated end the LCD's and HE-400 has.

Yeah I'm looking at trying the HE-500's. The planar's I owned/tried all had a very "tactile" feeling, which dynamics had to some extent and stats have none at all.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #25 of 3,322
Glad to see a thread that's not only about TOTL Stax!

At around $700~$800 you can also snag a Koss ESP-950 too.

As much as I liked my SR-007 Mk.1, the one problem I had with them was the lack of...impact. It just doesn't move air(?) like dynamic headphones, and I can't get used to it. I'm thinking about giving electrostatic headphones another shot though..

Thanks.......a few months ago when I was thinking about buying a pair of entry level Stax I found it hard to get any info on Head Fi.

Maybe I'm not a bass head, but I find the SRS-2170 moves enough air for me.

I've tried the Koss system, it didn't do much for me!:xf_eek:

I think this thread is a good idea. There isn't anywhere near enough focus on the low-end Stax as there is on the Lambdas, Sigmas, and Omegas. Not every Stax system needs to cost thousands of dollars. :p

Again, thanks!
I hope this thread takes off!
I agree, not every Stax system has to cost more than $1,000 !

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #26 of 3,322
What other gear are you moving onto, my friend?

I want either a Lambda Pro, a Lambda Sig, or a Sigma of either bias. I've got an SRM-1/MK2 now, and though I love my SR-303, I want to have a can that can take full advantage of all the power I've now got on tap.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #29 of 3,322
Quote:

I want either a Lambda Pro, a Lambda Sig, or a Sigma of either bias. I've got an SRM-1/MK2 now, and though I love my SR-303, I want to have a can that can take full advantage of all the power I've now got on tap.

The Lambda Pro was originally advertised with that amp and the SRD-7sb MK2. I sold my old SRM1 MK2 in favour of the 323S. The SRM1 MK2 don't provide lots of power but every Lambda earspeaker model will be able to take advantage of it's power. The Sigma's don't require lot's of power but it's just that you need more gain on the volume to compensate for the wider distance between the transducers and your ears. Assuming your SRM1 MK2 is A serial and silver faceplate with normal and pro bias, either Sigma's go for around the price of $650-1000.
Quote:
So how much do you expect the Lamda pros to cost? 

See below.

Quote:

Lambda Pros could be found for +/- $350.

Yeah around that range. Give or take depends on the condition. LP's in mint condition with original box go for a little more. Used LP range is $300-350 mark.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #30 of 3,322
Quote:
I have the 2170 in as a loan again (my friend's away on vacation for a week) and the DA100->252S->207 combo sound absolutely fantastic... Enjoying it as much as my LCD-2's right now.  

I said this before on the main Stax thread but the only two weaknesses I notice with these balance wise is that the frequency extremes are slightly rolled off on both ends (I don't quite get others calling these bright, but then again bright to me is a Grado/Beyer type 10k peak... these don't have that, at least with my DA100 DAC), and bit of a midrange honk pushing some vocals to being shouty for certain songs with upclose vocals (but makes the vocals nicely intimate on songs that have vocals backed off a bit).  Other than that I find these headphones very even sounding overall, with the typical Stax ethereal presentation, nice open soundstage and good amount of detail.  Comfort will be bit of a hit and miss with Lambda frames due to their long cups clamping down at the bottom of your chin, but for 1-2 hour listening sessions I don't find it to be that big of an issue, and I happen to be very picky with comfort...

Again, I do encourage others curious about Stax to give these a try while they are relatively cheap to get. Almost considering it myself right now to get as an alternative rig though I'm not sure how much use they'll get once 009's are in...

First of all cool thread!

I'm considering the 2170 as I expressed in the main Stax thread. Was briefly thinking about totally overdoing it by getting the 007Mk2 + 323S, but now with my recent purchase of the LCD-2, this is no longer an option.

So K_19. I really find your descriptions helpful and easy to follow along. Can you talk to me more about the transient response (speed of the drivers). Are they greater/same/less than the LCD-2 R2? Which one offers better transparency/micro-details of the music? And exactly how bad is that bass roll off? Are we talking like AKG K701/HD598 bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back