The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2,881 of 3,322
I preferred the sound of the L500 on the SRM-353X over the L700. The L700 sounded too bright for my ears on the same setup (well, I guess if people are saying the L700 sounds similar to the SR-009, that might be true since I find the 009 to be overly bright too). In any case, I wasn't a big fan of the treble presentation on any of these headphones though compared to what I'm used to from the traditional Lambda-series headphones. It was a bit sizzly for my tastes and I felt that the 9-10 kHz peak in the frequency response was overly done. I do think it's a step up from the SR-207 though overall: better dynamics, better imaging abilities, more accurate soundstage representation.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,882 of 3,322
I'm looking for comparisons between the L700 and L300LE. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've never heard the L700, but my pair of L300LEs showed up a couple days ago and I'm really happy with the sound so far. Cleaner sounding than my SR307s with better bass. Maybe the L700 would sound better, but I don't regret saving $700.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,883 of 3,322
I'm considering jumping into the world of Stax at some point in the future, possibly straight to L700 (Omegas are out of my budget). However, I'm looking for comparisons between the L700 and L300LE. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know the L300LE probably won't be available for long so I'm wondering if it is worth it to get that one sooner or just save for the L700+amp combo which is not going anywhere.

L700 is a headphone

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #2,885 of 3,322
It's strange because the more I listen to my Lambda Pro (I listen to it 1-2 hr each evening), the more I notice an increased bass response. When I received it last tuesday, midbass was slightly lean (2-3 dB less than the HD600) with moderate bass extension.
But now, I really feel the bass has more weight, sometimes the impact is physical and almost equivalent to the HD600. Placebo effect you'd say ? Maybe but I usually trust my ears extremely well and always quickly do some A/B with the HD600 to make sure I'm not delirious.

Could it be that this Lambda Pro was not used for a long time before it was sold to me and now the membrane/drivers are solicited every day improving any kind of efficiency ? I'm absolutely not a technician about electrostats so I might say BS. It's the first time I notice a change in the sound like that with one headphone.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #2,886 of 3,322
It's strange because the more I listen to my Lambda Pro (I listen to it 1-2 hr each evening), the more I notice an increased bass response. When I received it last tuesday, midbass was slightly lean (2-3 dB less than the HD600) with moderate bass extension.
But now, I really feel the bass has more weight, sometimes the impact is physical and almost equivalent to the HD600. Placebo effect you'd say ? Maybe but I usually trust my ears extremely well and always quickly do some A/B with the HD600 to make sure I'm not delirious.

Could it be that this Lambda Pro was not used for a long time before it was sold to me and now the membrane/drivers are solicited every day improving any kind of efficiency ? I'm absolutely not a technician about electrostats so I might say BS. It's the first time I notice a change in the sound like that with one headphone.

Electrostatics as the name suggest needs to build up static on the membrane for them to make sound happen and it allegedly takes a few days from them to build up the static fully.
'Course some swear by that it takes 20 years to break in Stax.

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,887 of 3,322
Electrostatics as the name suggest needs to build up static on the membrane for them to make sound happen and it allegedly takes a few days from them to build up the static fully.

LOL

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #2,888 of 3,322
Where did that statistic come from? If that were true then modern electronics wouldn't function properly because capacitors would take forever to charge up.

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,889 of 3,322
My best guess other than placebo (which is likely) is the earpad seal. Some days my 007 have bass aplenty and others it seems anemic to me. In that regard these are the least consistent headphones I've ever owned. I don't get those kinds of swings in perceived sound signature on other headphones, at least not as extreme.

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #2,891 of 3,322
I always thought that stax headphones, and the amp, need to be well charged before the actual listening session.

I dont do headphones anymore but if i ever come back to it, stax would be the first choice. Btw, Lambda pros arent the prettiest looking but i think they do sound fabolous when properly paired.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2,892 of 3,322
I always thought that stax headphones, and the amp, need to be well charged before the actual listening session.
Yeah but it doesn't take more than a few minutes for that to happen. If it really took a few days for the charge to build up on an electrostatic headphone, would it take months for the charge to build up on a Martin Logan speaker?

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2,893 of 3,322
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #2,895 of 3,322
i consider them like automobiles, like old automobiles. especially with older stax headphones, they will need to be well maintained to have them perform at their fullest. poorly maintained or abused stax won't sing too well due to their delicate nature.

i figured your lambda pro may sound better today than yesterday. and perhaps, better tomorrow than today, until it gets adjusted to your system :)
i know they are supposed to be warmed up pretty quickly but i always thought that they would actually take their time in warming up, like we warm up our old cars back in the days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back