The DT990/600 impressed me
Apr 27, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #76 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I have been switching between my DT880 and K271. I defiantly notice that the Dt880 sounds much more hollow than the K271 which has a more aggressive and detailed midrange. I am interested in the DT990 pro and would like to know how its mids compare to the DT880.

The "hollow" sound you refer to is actually the increase in sound stage which most people regard as an increase in SQ. The K271 is closed and sounds intimate, so going to an open phone like 880/990 is quite startling. I went from a closed Utrasone to the open 990 and was genuinely taken aback with the sound difference. I missed the intimate sound of the Ultrasone for the first few days, but when you get used to an open phone with wide soundstage you realize this is how the music should actually sound and will never go back to closed! Every music genre sounds better with a open phone be it Trance to Classical.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #77 of 102
I agree with the above. But also want to point out that the DT990 will actually make this difference even more pronounced, since it has a slightly more recessed midrange than the DT880 (which I think of as having a very neutral midrange).

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #78 of 102
thanks to this thread, i also took the plunge to acquire the dt 990 600 ohms from b&w
darthsmile.gif

excellent cans! coming from the dt 880 250 ohms, the pronounced bass is amazing! it took me about two weeks to get it to sound right. out of the box, i wanted to return them because the bass sounded artificial, and the highs were very harsh and even painful sometimes. but now they are just fun headphones!

same detail, comfort, large imaging, and added bass oomph makes up for an exciting beyer!
biggrin.gif

thanks again
happy_face1.gif

May 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #79 of 102
does the 990 mid really reccesed that make the vocal not pronounced well? i'm new on headphone..i have ad900 and really like its sound..the soundstage and the mid to hi freq..but its lack of bass..
if i wanna add a new cans what u guys suggest 880 or 990 ? which one will give me some new experience..

May 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #80 of 102
what genres of music do you listen to and what amp will you be using with them?

May 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #81 of 102
i dont have amp..but will buy them if really needed them..
i usually listen to audiophile track(jheena lodwick, yao si ting etc), pop (include lady gaga), rock, sometimes metal..i'm an allround listener except, clasical n blues
biggrin.gif

the reason i want to find another HP is just because my ad900 sometimes couldn't bring some bass..the bass is not punchy..is dt880 can bring the bass that not pronounced on my ad900..?
smily_headphones1.gif

the bad is i cant try those headphone coz i cant find them locally.. LOL

May 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #83 of 102
The DT880 would be better for you IMO. The DT990s bass may take over the mids too much to your liking. A good amp would be a good tube amp, of course
tongue.gif
I have the MAD Ear+ HD, but that may be too expensive for you. You are also going to want to get a good DAC. You can't just cheat your way into the audiophile world by buying a pair of good cans
wink.gif
you gotta get other components as well
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #84 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 would be better for you IMO. The DT990s bass may take over the mids too much to your liking. A good amp would be a good tube amp, of course
tongue.gif
I have the MAD Ear+ HD, but that may be too expensive for you. You are also going to want to get a good DAC. You can't just cheat your way into the audiophile world by buying a pair of good cans
wink.gif
you gotta get other components as well
biggrin.gif

is ur 880's bass quality n quantity better than ur ad700(as i know my ad900 a very light bass ,i look at ur system there's ad700
atsmile.gif
)..i fear if i buy dt880, it has no improvement on the bass..
smily_headphones1.gif

what tube amp do you suggest fot dt880 (one tht's not very expensive)?

May 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #85 of 102
The DT880 have a lot more bass than my AD700, which are extremely bass light. I cannot really talk about quality of the bass though, as I am still a noob
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #87 of 102
The DT990, DT880 and possibly the Denon D5000 would all be good choices IMO. The DT990 will sound great once you bring the mids up with an EQ imo. Still, I am very happy with my dt880. If i want bassy cans, I will buy bassy cans
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #88 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatal_crest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okey if the 880 has a lot more bass than ad700, it seems like a good improvement from my ad900 then..
still gonna find what's suit me better 880 or 990..
thanks 4 the comment stang

they will have more bass than the ad700, certainly. the 990s have more bass than the 880s, but the 880s are more analytical. i went for the 990s myself.
even the d2000s might suit.

May 5, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #89 of 102
i think i will consider the 990 because the good bass response than the other..but the recessed mid makes me uncertain..is the mids really that bad? what type of amp that can make the mid more pronounced then? somethings can make it sound more heavier n pronounced but warmer ?

May 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #90 of 102

i really liked the dt990-600 while i owned it.  the mids are slightly recessed because of the bass response.  my Bijou tubed amp brought the mids more forward than my other sand amps.

Quote:
i think i will consider the 990 because the good bass response than the other..but the recessed mid makes me uncertain..is the mids really that bad? what type of amp that can make the mid more pronounced then? somethings can make it sound more heavier n pronounced but warmer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back