The DT990/600 impressed me
Mar 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #61 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, it's the latter - different sound, but both good. I like them both, and have liked having both around, although since getting the T1's, neither of them gets any use...

Would it be safe to say that the DT990 has more bass and more treble than the DT880, which would give the impression of recessed midrange?

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #62 of 102
The 600 ohm version of the 990's doesn't really have more treble than the 880, actually. More bass, yes, but not more treble. So the mids seem a little recessed by comparison, but really it's just a question of more bass.

And 600 ohm Beyers *love* tube amps for the voltage swing.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #63 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 600 ohm version of the 990's doesn't really have more treble than the 880, actually. More bass, yes, but not more treble. So the mids seem a little recessed by comparison, but really it's just a question of more bass.

And 600 ohm Beyers *love* tube amps for the voltage swing.

Oh dont say that -_-. You're going to get me spending sooner than i had hoped D:

I hope my amp can hold out with the DT880/600's..

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #65 of 102
I've found the Woo 3 with vintage tubes to be an excellent match with these cans. And for some reason (maybe it's burn-in or maybe it's purely psychological and I'm just used to them now), the mids seem to come out more after you get a few hours on them. I've got about 25-50 on mine at this point.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #66 of 102
Ordered a pair of the DT990/600 from B&H. Price has dropped a couple more dollars to $229.95! I get the feeling this may be a close-out price to clear out stock. Neptius mentioned in the T1 thread that Beyer is updating the Premium line later this year, which includes the DT990. So these phones will be 'outdated' in short order, but for this price, I think I'll sleep just fine.

Wonder what they'll do to update these phones... I think neptius mentioned they are redoing the cabling, so that each cup will have the cable enter on the bottom. I'm sure there will be a few other tweaks as well.

Really looking forward to hearing these phones. I contemplated the DT880/600, but they cost $70 more and I was afraid the bass wouldn't be strong enough for my music, especially since my DAC/Amp is considered to be on the analytical side of things (Nuforce HDP).

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #67 of 102
I was just testing, I replaced the inner foams with a thin mash and I enjoy it a bit more, with better mid and slightly less bass. Have anyone tried this? what do you think?

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #68 of 102
Picked up some DT990s today after listening to D2000s, D5000s, Sonys, HD650s, DT880s, DT990 Pros, several AKGs, AD1000s and Shure 840s. Also listened to some HD595s, AD900s and W1000Xs because I won them and can make a more familiar comparison.
I went in determined to buy some D2000s but after listening I had to go with the DT990s (which I find a little on the ugly side) because they were the best to my ear. I was really quite surprised about how gorgeous chamber music and acoustic material comes through on these and the bass isn't compromised. They're a bit hard to drive without a good amp so no good for travelling or taking to the office but for a quiet night in relaxing in the leather recliner these are now my go-to phones.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #69 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slackboy72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up some DT990s today after listening to D2000s, D5000s, Sonys, HD650s, DT880s, DT990 Pros, several AKGs, AD1000s and Shure 840s. Also listened to some HD595s, AD900s and W1000Xs because I won them and can make a more familiar comparison.

Wow, did you go to a meet or a really amazing store? Do give some impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to a pair of DT990 today, briefly, out of a Rega Planet => Phonitor. Definitely quality phones.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #70 of 102
I had the DT-990 in the past and they were my favorite pair of headphones right behind the AKG 701. I compared the DT-990 with the AKG 701 forever and ended up liking the AKG 701 a bit more. After owning both for several years I had to get rid of the DT-990. I had a guilty conscience owning several $200+ headphones!

I never noticed the recessed mids on the DT-990 and believe it or not I never had a clue these were considered to have more bass then the DT-880!

The other day I wanted to pull the trigger on the DT-880 but I couldn't do it because of someone spoiling my fun and saying they had slightly recessed mids. I don't like that. Now I hear it's the DT-990s that have this, so now i'm even more confused!

I think I might like the DT-880 over the DT-990 because of less bass and a bit better midrange. Does this sound correct? Last I checked the DT-880 was $260 or so and a bit higher then I wanted to pay.

BTW for anyone that cares. The DT-990s were by far the most comfortable headphones i've ever owned EASILY.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #71 of 102
Yes they are pretty comfortable. More comfortable than my he-5(which are pretty comfortable themselves). The only cans that I own that are more comfortable are my staxs. I really hated to see the 990s go, but my he-5s are much better(IMO). That doesn't mean I didn't like the 990s. I think they are some great phones. As long as BH have them for 229, you want find a better can for that price(new of course).

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #72 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, did you go to a meet or a really amazing store? Do give some impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to a pair of DT990 today, briefly, out of a Rega Planet => Phonitor. Definitely quality phones.

I went to the Ishimaru at Akihabara that has a branch of Refinho & Anelho on the 6th floor. They have two banks of headphones all hooked up to two sources. You can just stick a decent CD in and A-B them as much as you want. Which is what I did. No salesmen pushing me or giving me dirty looks or trying to tell me that I was an idiot for not liking what he liked. Just two CD players (Marantz), twenty identical headphone amps (Audio Technica) and about sixty different headphones. They also had an HD800 and some Stax cans which I listened to but was never really contemplating purchasing. The one that I would have liked to give a listen but they didn't have was the Ultrasone edition 8 (?) though I wouldn't be able to afford that either.

My three and a half hour session was a real revelation.
No amount of reading other peoples opinions on this forum can prepare you for actually listening to all these headphones by yourself at one time.
Let your ear decide. Not some twit on a keyboard who only listens to Cradle of Filth or Simon and Garfunkel's greatest hits.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #73 of 102
I figured you'd be in Japan if there was a W1000X to sample. Not very common outside, it's easy to get one here but near impossible to find a store that'll let me try. How does that compare to the DT990? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm not lucky enough to fly to Japan anytime soon.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #74 of 102
Hi, I'm new here and after reading a lots of reviews I decided to try the DT990/600 Ohms as my first pair of Hi-Fi HP. The deal at B&H was too good $230, almost a steal.
I'm looking forward to listen to them, If what I read in the various threads is true I sure I'm gonna love them.
They should arrive in 2 days, we'll see if my Adcom preamp can drive them otherwise I'll have to buy a dedicated amp.
beyersmile.png

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #75 of 102
Right now I have been switching between my DT880 and K271. I defiantly notice that the Dt880 sounds much more hollow than the K271 which has a more aggressive and detailed midrange. I am interested in the DT990 pro and would like to know how its mids compare to the DT880.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back