THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Jan 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,053 of 3,874
wheewww... 71 pages later

Some great ideas, if I'm not careful I'll end up with more stands than headphones :D

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,054 of 3,874
I've read this thread for quite some time for inspiration, and I finally finished after about a month (still in high school, unfortunately). I did a quick mock-up of the design in Google SketchUp to make sure all of the dimensions worked, so if anyone wants the design, just contact me (can't post attachments apparently). The stand is designed specifically for Sennheiser HD598's and the FIIO E7.

Left-Side View: There's a little hole for the 1/4" to 3.5 mm adapter to sit in, and the E7 lies just below the surface of the stand's body so the front plate is less likely to get scratched.

Right-Side View: Cord is easily wrapped around some poles on the other side. I wrap mine in a figure-8 so that the cord does not twist after each loop.

Without Headphones or amp: The curve for the headband is made from 4 strips of1/32" Birch plywood cold-formed (the "wright" way) to eliminate any pressure points.

Below: The nice and shiny metal rods are actually some old stainless steel tubes that I scrapped from an old umbrella and polished up with some steel wool. The black stuff in the place where the amp goes (I really don't think it has a name, possibly "amp pocket"?) is some faux-leather that I cut out of one of those Bank of America calendars you get for signing up for an account. The ends of the faux-leather strips are curved in between wood layers, so there's no exposed edges.

Below: A side view, because something about a slight angle forward makes the stand look so much cooler. The curve in the arm is matched to the 598's, so when the headphones are in place, there is a constant 3/4" gap in between the two. Also, there are four rubber feet in each corner to protect the nightstand, and the wood border levitates just about a millimeter above the surface.

Total Cost: $0. Everything was laying around my house, mostly because I don't throw things out that I see value in.
Total Time: Probably about 20-25 hours. 15 pieces of hardwood (I really don't know what kind) make up this project, so cutting and sanding took the longest by far. I didn't use power tools because all this wood is old and dry, so it splinters at the edges very easily. Enjoy, and good luck with your own projects.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,055 of 3,874

Quote:
I've read this thread for quite some time for inspiration, and I finally finished after about a month (still in high school, unfortunately). I did a quick mock-up of the design in Google SketchUp to make sure all of the dimensions worked, so if anyone wants the design, just contact me (can't post attachments apparently). The stand is designed specifically for Sennheiser HD598's and the FIIO E7.

Left-Side View: There's a little hole for the 1/4" to 3.5 mm adapter to sit in, and the E7 lies just below the surface of the stand's body so the front plate is less likely to get scratched.

Right-Side View: Cord is easily wrapped around some poles on the other side. I wrap mine in a figure-8 so that the cord does not twist after each loop.

Without Headphones or amp: The curve for the headband is made from 4 strips of1/32" Birch plywood cold-formed (the "wright" way) to eliminate any pressure points.

Below: The nice and shiny metal rods are actually some old stainless steel tubes that I scrapped from an old umbrella and polished up with some steel wool. The black stuff in the place where the amp goes (I really don't think it has a name, possibly "amp pocket"?) is some faux-leather that I cut out of one of those Bank of America calendars you get for signing up for an account. The ends of the faux-leather strips are curved in between wood layers, so there's no exposed edges.

Below: A side view, because something about a slight angle forward makes the stand look so much cooler. The curve in the arm is matched to the 598's, so when the headphones are in place, there is a constant 3/4" gap in between the two. Also, there are four rubber feet in each corner to protect the nightstand, and the wood border levitates just about a millimeter above the surface.

Total Cost: $0. Everything was laying around my house, mostly because I don't throw things out that I see value in.
Total Time: Probably about 20-25 hours. 15 pieces of hardwood (I really don't know what kind) make up this project, so cutting and sanding took the longest by far. I didn't use power tools because all this wood is old and dry, so it splinters at the edges very easily. Enjoy, and good luck with your own projects.

Extremely well thought-out and executed!  Gorgeous work!

Welcome to Head-Fi, btw!

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,056 of 3,874
@Amadeus314:  Best First Post!!

I especially LOVE the cable management, which I find to be the clumsiest thing to deal with when it comes to hanging phones...cheers!!

(FiiO bed is very cool too.)

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,058 of 3,874

Quote:

Great idea, and well executed. Welcome to head-fi. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,059 of 3,874
So I finally made a trip to Ikea (love that place!) and was walking through the bathroom section.  Found this little gem of a stand utilizing 2 different items from there....both are from the "Grundtal" collection - 601.769.25 which is the 6 post stand, and 001.625.49 which is supposed to be a TP stand...(not thunder pants, the other TP) and stole the base from it.  The post stand screwed right onto the base of the TP holder.  Perfection!  For kicks I also threw on the "DIODER" LED bars on the back of the Mac (3 total) and 1 on the stand.  Very slick in color change mode...total assembly time is under 5 minutes.

Without the LED bars, total cost under $20.00.  Add another $40 for the LEDs.... 
dt880smile.png

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,060 of 3,874
Wow, great idea! I think I'll use just that 6 post stand on one side of my bookshelf, right next to my desk! 
cool.gif

Quote:
So I finally made a trip to Ikea (love that place!) and was walking through the bathroom section.  Found this little gem of a stand utilizing 2 different items from there....both are from the "Grundtal" collection - 601.769.25 which is the 6 post stand, and 001.625.49 which is supposed to be a TP stand...(not thunder pants, the other TP) and stole the base from it.  The post stand screwed right onto the base of the TP holder.  Perfection!  For kicks I also threw on the "DIODER" LED bars on the back of the Mac (3 total) and 1 on the stand.  Very slick in color change mode...total assembly time is under 5 minutes.

Without the LED bars, total cost under $20.00.  Add another $40 for the LEDs.... 
dt880smile.png

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,061 of 3,874
Pretty good stand, hdufour.  I'd probably look to replace that base with something a little wider to help prevent it from tipping over though. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,062 of 3,874
I got some aluminum extrusions and took them to our school's (crappy) metal shop.
Inspiration was something minimalist.  I need to re-sand them since they got scratched up from transport to and from school.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,065 of 3,874

Quote:
What does the switch turn on and off?

I could not tell, but I could see that being tied into a pause/unpause feature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back