THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Apr 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,861 of 3,874
Quote:
Fortunately that looks like a glove from one of my NEW YORK RANGERS !!!!!!!

Yes - I need to paint it all red, with white trim.  The blue just doesn't look right, does it?

eek.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,862 of 3,874
Yes - I need to paint it all red, with white trim.  The blue just doesn't look right, does it?

:eek:

It looks PERFECT........... Go NYR!!!! :D

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,863 of 3,874
My first foray into copper to match the rails on my Mad Dogs.  It's not perfect, and I learned a lot from my (highly visible) mistakes, but it's functional, fits the designed space around my Schiit stack, and it'll do the trick for now.

(Sorry for not embedding the images...probably because I've been a lurking for a while and didn't start posting until recently.  I'll check back to embed when possible.) 

[Mod Edit: Embedded them for you.]

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,864 of 3,874
My first foray into copper to match the rails on my Mad Dogs.  It's not perfect, and I learned a lot from my (highly visible) mistakes, but it's functional, fits the designed space around my Schiit stack, and it'll do the trick for now.

http://i42.tinypic.com/50kw7s.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/34s4j0l.jpg

(Sorry for not embedding the images probably because I've been a lurking for a while and didn't start posting until recently.  I'll check back to embed when possible.)

That's one of the coolest ones yet.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,865 of 3,874
Quote:
That's one of the coolest ones yet.

Thanks!  I don't have the equipment to weld the elbows, so I figured I'd just use plumber's Goop to seal the joints, but I must have done something wrong because it didn't hold fast enough to support the weight of the cans, so I added some Gorilla glue OUTSIDE the joins at the weight-bearings elbows.  I tried to hide it underneath the stand, but even if I can't see it I know I did a sloppy job.  I also didn't account for the fact that the elbows wouldn't give me perfect 90 degree angles, even though my cuts are square (used a tube cutter).  To be honest, I have no idea how you get a 90 degree angle since I used 90 degree elbows and the angles are clearly acute on most corners.  That said, I like it for the time being, especially since it fits perfectly over my stack and matches my newest cans :D

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,866 of 3,874

I haven't built anything just yet, but I did make a prototype in Creo for one of my classes. It's very modular and simple because the idea is to change the material to match your headphones. It's hard to tell from this angle, but the arm does have a curved surface near the end, and the glass pillar is hollow to make the center of gravity on the base and make it harder to knock over.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,867 of 3,874
Quote: Originally Posted by Oregonian  That's one of the coolest ones yet.   Thanks!  I don't have the equipment to weld the elbows, so I figured I'd just use plumber's Goop to seal the joints, but I must have done something wrong because it didn't hold fast enough to support the weight of the cans, so I added some Gorilla glue OUTSIDE the joins at the weight-bearings elbows.  I tried to hide it underneath the stand, but even if I can't see it I know I did a sloppy job.  I also didn't account for the fact that the elbows wouldn't give me perfect 90 degree angles, even though my cuts are square (used a tube cutter).  To be honest, I have no idea how you get a 90 degree angle since I used 90 degree elbows and the angles are clearly acute on most corners.  That said, I like it for the time being, especially since it fits perfectly over my stack and matches my newest cans :D
Nice job! I do love me a copper stand. :D (I have 2 of them up here.)

I used JB Weld and PC-7 on mine, you have to rough up the ends with coarse sandpaper also the inside of the fittings. Have everything cut and ready to go, mix up your epoxy and start assembly. Support the parts that won't stay up by themselves, or epoxy them on a flat surface first and add them to the uprights after. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,868 of 3,874
Quote:
I haven't built anything just yet, but I did make a prototype in Creo for one of my classes. It's very modular and simple because the idea is to change the material to match your headphones. It's hard to tell from this angle, but the arm does have a curved surface near the end, and the glass pillar is hollow to make the center of gravity on the base and make it harder to knock over.

Cool.  What's the base made of?

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,869 of 3,874
Quote:
Nice job! I do love me a copper stand.
biggrin.gif
(I have 2 of them up here.)

I used JB Weld and PC-7 on mine, you have to rough up the ends with coarse sandpaper also the inside of the fittings. Have everything cut and ready to go, mix up your epoxy and start assembly. Support the parts that won't stay up by themselves, or epoxy them on a flat surface first and add them to the uprights after.
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

That's basically what I did with plumber's Goop.  Coarse sand paper (inside and out), made the flat parts first and joined them after, etc.  And it still didn't hold.  Oh well, I probably should have used better glue.  For now, it'll do.  Copper tube is cheap, so I'm sure I'll make another one at some point after some more research.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,870 of 3,874
Mahogany in that render, but it can be pretty much any material you want. Big, blocky, modular design, extremely DIY friendly :)

The toughest part to replace would be the glass pillar due to it being hollow.

Of course, all of this is in my mind and haven't been applied in reality.. yet.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #1,873 of 3,874
I found a whopping big screw-in knob in the hardware store by chance and though that it would be perfect for hanging headphones. I have screwed it in under my desk for this very purpose. I'll probably go back and get a few more so I can make use of the space there to create a headphone rack of sorts.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,875 of 3,874
I love coming back to this thread to see the creative things people come up with. I'm not sure if there is much point to it, but I'm putting a call out to see if anyone has creative ways to display or store IEMs???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back